REVO NEEDS HELP!

At least people are choosing to "bailout" the organization in this situation. Same can't be said for the country, there is a big difference. If you're a parent of a member who is on tour with Revolution now, it is totally understandable to donate to the corps. You don't want your kid to go hungry or to not be able to finish the tour. Now after the season, I definitely think that parents should hold the corps responsible to be financially sound if they are going to send their children there again. However, the die has been cast on this situation and it would be a shame if Revolution could not finish the tour for the members who have paid their dues.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure the folks at Revo had and still have every intention of finishing the tour. Revo's fees are about half of what most corps charge. If 6 or 8 kids don't pay, then it really hurts the corps since their fees are low to begin with. Other corps that charge twice as much probably don't see the impact of non payers like Revo does. Also keep in mind most of the kids in Open Class are high schoolers, with little or no opportunity to work a job to earn their fees

I would bet money (which I'd rather donate to the corps) that there were a lot of "I'll pay the fees once the tour starts" type of thing, which I'm sure the folks at Revo felt people would be good on their word. The only fault I can see here is being too trusting. As a parent, I would be a little ashamed of sending my kid on tour without their fees being paid. But I also know that there are a lot of parents or kids who intend to pay but probably have fallen on hard times themselves and haven't been able to full fill their obligations. And at this point, it's too late to send those kids home as it would leave holes in the show. So either way those that paid lose-either quit the tour, or send kids home who haven't paid and have a show with missing members.

I'd much rather kick in a little and give some of these kids a chance to tour the country and perform at Indy. They may never get a chance like this again, and I for one would be happy to help them out.

I always want to know that the charity I am handing a check to is going to put it in the right place, but the reality is, this may be one of the only places you can give money, that you have at least a "reasonable" level of comfort as to where the money will be spent....and I think we all agree (on this forum anyway) we are avid supporters of this activity, and all of the kids that make it great.

If the organization is in "trouble" on the road, any money is going to be used to keep them traveling safely. I think a donation would be pretty safe as well.....

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

Edited by Spartans87

After reading all of the threads on this topic, I found that only once or twice where it mentioned about type of students marching in Revolution. I will say that I am not aware where Revolution practices; however, I am aware of the income disparity of households in San Antonio. I taught in SA several years ago and know that most students on the south and east side come from lower income households. I do not know how many students from this part of town are currently marching in the coprs. I will say that these students are eager and deserve the opportunity - just as much as those who are able to afford to march Cavies, Cadets, Blue Devils, etc. I fear that drum corps is becoming only for the "haves." This could hurt the activity in the long run. I paid the dues for a couple students to march World Class corps when I taught in SA. This was the only way they would have the opportunity to experience drum corps.

It would be great if an organization or two in the area took Revolution under its' wings and held fundraisers for them. Another thing that hurts Revolution is the distance needed to travel in order to compete. There aren't exactly large numbers of Open Class corps and drum corps shows in the state of Texas.

Should talent trump over the money an individual has?

Don't most corps have programs in place for members to make the money?

I don't know, just asking.

When I was in corps I sold cheese and sausage and Christmas trees and Car Washes and my dues were 1/2 of what they pay now.

Yes, there are members from different parts of the country and some international members; but the vast majority are those from Texas, the San Antonio area and the economically deprived South Texas near the Mexico Border. It's hard to sell cheese and sausage to people in that area.

If you look at Revo's forum on their website, there were many events that corps members could work at to try to raise funds. But when the events are in San Antonio or Austin and you're a high school kid living in south Texas, it's very difficult to make a 6 hour drive to work at an event.

Edited by DCI Rocks

Yes, there are members from different parts of the country and some international members; but the vast majority are those from Texas, the San Antonio area and the economically deprived South Texas near the Mexico Border. It's hard to sell cheese and sausage to people in that area.

If you look at Revo's forum on their website, there were many events that corps members could work at to try to raise funds. But when the events are in San Antonio or Austin and you're a high school kid living in south Texas, it's very difficult to make a 6 hour drive to work at an event.

Looks like those events they have also require TABC which you need to be 18 (in most cases) to get.

Just as an FYI for the discussion about how much of a tour Revolution committed to without stable finances in place. They are up there towards the top in terms of competitive appearances.

7th Regiment - 9

Blue Devils B - 13

Blue Devils C - 5

Blue Saints - 5

Capital Regiment - 16

Citations - 9

Colt Cadets - 17

Dutch Boy - 9

Gold - 7

Impulse - 7

Incognito - 9

Legends - 12

Les Stentors - 9

Memphis Sound - 11

Music City - 8

Mystikal - 7

Oregon Crusaders - 10

Racine Scouts - 14

Raiders - 9

Revolution - 14

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets - 12

Spirit of Newark/New Jersey - 7

Teal Sound - 16

Velvet Knights - 15

Let me say that if you WANT to march drum corps, there are ways of making it happen. This season I personally saw one young lady fund raise her whole entire tour fees through sponsorships (from state representatives, band directors, family, friends, businesses) and self fund raisers. I paid for drum corps with student loans (which I am still paying for to this day). There are ways to raise the money, you just have to work for them.

The question now is, does the administration of Revolution "have" the common sense to not send the kids out on the road. I sincerely doubt it.

DCI needs to step in.

This is most certainly true. Problems have been happening with this corps since 2003. They have a history of financial mismanagement. That is the same reason that their winterguard and winter percussion had been inactive for periods of time. BlueCavie doesn't seem to have the fact straight. In 2006, as much as the current administration would like to change your opinion, the corps was headed in the right direction under Mr. G.M Kuzma. However, the upper administration wouldn't allow it. Consequently the full staff left and a whole new staff came in. If you look at Revolution's staff track record, you'll see the average staff stays with them for about two years. There is no consistency in this program because the upper administration makes it very difficult to work under them. This exact same situation happened in 2006. Members and staff were told they were stuck in a remote Texas town because there was no money left. Members were asked to call home and then taken to the ATM to "donate" more money.

I am an educator and care more about the kids experience than anything, but to watch the faces of kids when you tell them they possibly can't finish tour is heartbreaking. If this was the first time in the corps history that this happened, I would be all about donating money. But they are asking each family to give an additional $250.00, that's more than just 6 or 8 kids not paying their tour fees. I'm not saying not to donate if you feel compelled to do so, but like it's been said before, take a deeper look into where you money is going before you give it. Consider sponsoring a kid who is having difficulty paying their tour fees, which if that is the real problem, then it will fix their money issue.