REVO NEEDS HELP!

I just saw this post on the corps' blog...

THIS DEFINITELY SOUNDS SERIOUS!!!

REVOLUTION BLOG

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people who this is unfortunate for are the members who fulfilled thier financial obligation, the volunteers, and the staff. Why didn't the powers that be foresee this before the corps set out on tour or during the winter and spring months? It's difficult to feel bad for an organization that keeps making mistakes and, unltimately, hurts its members. I don't want to see another corps go under or suffer; but this is just plain ridiculous.

The people who this is unfortunate for are the members who fulfilled thier financial obligation, the volunteers, and the staff. Why didn't the powers that be foresee this before the corps set out on tour or during the winter and spring months? It's difficult to feel bad for an organization that keeps making mistakes and, unltimately, hurts its members. I don't want to see another corps go under or suffer; but this is just plain ridiculous.

Gotta agree, and it's certainly not fair to ask parents of kids who have already paid in full to chip in even more to cover the ones who haven't lived up to their responsibility.

Instead of being so all knowing, why don't you donate? Being critical helps no one. Do you know anything about the situation? It is truly "ridiculous" that some people think that they can foresee anything that could happen and obviously feel that they could handle the situation better.

Instead of being so all knowing, why don't you donate? Being critical helps no one. Do you know anything about the situation? It is truly "ridiculous" that some people think that they can foresee anything that could happen and obviously feel that they could handle the situation better.

Actually, it says right on the blog that the corps left for a neck of tour before all bills were paid. That right there is the problem, especially if they know that it will affect the corps at some point. It's administration's job to make sure members pay their bills and to offer ways for their members to raise these funds during the WINTER. If members can't pay their bills, and the corps isn't financially stable enough to spot those kids', it is administration's job to tell these students that they cannot participate in the drum corps because it will affect everyone else in the negative manner, as it is about to right now.

Administration is spending extra money that they can't afford on students who have not met the contract. The corps is bending the rules to its own contract as much as the students, who have not paid, are breaking it. No one can point fingers in this situation. It's both parties' faults. If the kid can't pay and this is the sole reason the corps has to drop out of its original touring plans, you have to cut the kid 2 months ago. Period. You can't spend extra money on him/her if you can't afford to and still plan on having a long lasting drum corps.

If other issues arise like multiple necessary vehicle repairs, a food truck explosion, or something else expensive, it would make sense to mention those things in the blog, but instead they blame it on the fact that students have not paid. They make it clear that this the issue. So, there is no argument here as to what mistakes were made. My opinion is that the administration made a poor choice and now the corps is feeling the results.

Responding by giving or not giving a corps money, which made financial administrative mistakes, is an argument that will never be settled on a board like this, similar to how debates over the right to have an Abortion never get settled between friends or strangers having political conversation. Your arguments: Do you really let the kids suffer the consequences? It's about the kids right? Then you should give money so their summer is fulfilled! But couldn't the corps just keep making mistakes and eventually just hinder the kids' experiences in future years? Yes, this could happen, so why fund the corps out of your own pocket when people are making poor business decisions? Then you shouldn't give them money! Both are very fair arguments. I won't say where I stand in this mix, because like I said, its pointless to argue about this.

Don't get me wrong, I want as many corps out there competing as possible. I respect a person's choice to help bail out this corps in the name of the current members so they finish their education and experience. However, I also respect a person's choice to not give this corps money because they made an administrative decision that was not well thought out and something like this could just happen again.

I think people who planned on giving money will still give it and people who didn't plan on giving money still won't because, after all, we're all stubborn on this board and think that we all know everything and EVERYTHING. Don't get upset about someone's opinion, because no one really listens to anyone else on here when it comes to things like this, we just pointlessly bicker.

Yours Truly,

Just another person who thinks he knows everything.

Edited by Crassissimo

Thanks "ThatCorpsGuy" for reposting this from our blog.

The truth of the matter is the corps needs a influx of funds to be able to continue a healthy tour. If certain parameters are not met continuing could only make the matter worse. This should come to no surprise to the members because this is something we preached to the members all season long.

This corps has struggled the past two years with debt created a couple of years ago. The corps at that point should have liquidated all assets to clear debt but understood at the time that would have been more harmful and the last 2 seasons would never have occurred. We made great strides in 2007 and fell a few steps back in 2008. Even with trying to be responsible in 2008 by pulling from two shows, only resulted in a stiff fine from DCI that had to be paid before we could tour this season. 2009 has been very promising with fundraising high and lot's of honest communication in the winter season regarding fee's, At the start of All days we knew we could complete first tour successfully but had a few things happen that ate threw our cushion for 2nd tour and now we have come to a point where we need the members to do their part and pay their fee's to insure our continuance. The post on the blog is the honest situation and the administration only wishes we could do more to offer this experience to the members without it impacting their financial stability. We understand times are tough and have not charged bounced check fee's and have taken payment arrangements and increased our opportunities for work credit to offset fee's but it was not enough and rather than forcing to continue tour in an unhealthy way, we will be forced to make a tough decision. If enough funds come in before the San Antonio Show and the members pay their fee's we will continue on to Indy, If not we all know we made the most of this great season and we did all we could to make it work during these difficult times. Regardless of the outcome, the organization will be aggressive in resolving the old debt before continuing with the 2010 summer and winter programs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I know this will be met with much criticism as it was the case in 2004 when we were forced to fold late season. There is nothing we can do to change any ones thoughts and mindset, but know that a difference can be made by making a donation not to the corps but to those members who have not paid their fee's. I know Revolution has never been very popular on these forums but if you truly want to make a difference then donate to the member's who have been unable to pay their fee's and not to the corps or the administration you do not agree with. If not, it is understandable but also understand the decisions we had to make are not easy and after struggling through 2nd tour last year, we cannot go through another tour like that in 2009.

If you want to try to help here is the link to the pay pal site for donations.

Donate Here!

Edited by RevoPR