REVO NEEDS HELP!

I think it's great that some people will choose to support Revolution.

We all have choices to make. I just don't believe that Revo does something super specialicious that other corps don't offer their members.

We all have choices on which corps to support and we all have our reasons.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great that some people will choose to support Revolution.

We all have choices to make. I just don't believe that Revo does something super specialicious that other corps don't offer their members.

We all have choices on which corps to support and we all have our reasons.

I've read all 10 pages of the class and crap that make up this thread. Some of the points made here are valid, while others are far less than that. Some of you speak from a position of knowledge, while others simply speak.

As is evident by my user name, I am the parent of a Revolution member... A parent who less than 24 hours ago watched as the corps took the field, causing me to swell with pride at what my child, the rest of the corps members, staff and administration have accomplished. I was compelled to rise to my feet in ovation, as was everyone else in the stadium. It is very clear that these kids, including those that have not completed the payment of fees, have worked extremely hard.

Back on the topic, Revo's current situation is the type of laundry that I believe many open class corps deals with. The difference, or mistake if you choose, is that someone chose to post the corps dirty laundry on the corps chronicle page. The language in the post indicates it was clearly meant as a message to family and friends of the corps. It's the type of thing that would normally be handled internally, through personal emails (if there is such a thing) or phone calls. WE are being asked to help, and WE will decide what WE are willing to do. WE will decide what questions WE want to ask, or whether WE will choose to give blindly.

The bottom line here is that many of you have chosen, or arguably felt invited to get involved in "family business". And, because of the way the situation came to light, I don't think anyone can blame you. But, make no mistake about it, no one is asking outsiders for a "bailout".

Since the laundry is now all over the washroom, thanks to those of you who choose to help. But, to those of you who choose not to, for whatever your reason(s), no problem. WE will take care of our own.

If you have been reading this thread and are wondering if it is a good idea to donate, here are a few things you should know:

Several of the harshest posts on this thread come from people that were staff, but are no longer with Revolution - please consider their motivation. They are now with other corps that compete with Revolution. Revolution is putting out a quality show that has a chance at taking the open class title. Their percussion and horn lines have a shot at been first as well.

It would be very sad if even one of you decided not to donate because of a few misguided people that are running down their competitors instead of just having the talent to step up and compete on Revolutions level.

Under the current administration the corps has grown both in size and in talent. They have received more donations and worked more fund raising events than ever before. The parent volunteers have really been stepping up and there staff is the most talented group to work with the corps so far.

From what I am hearing, some of the issues are working themselves out and many of the corps members are finding ways of paying their back fees. It looks like the worst fears of the naysayers will be realized in August when the black and gray roll onto the lot.

THERE IS A REVOLUTION COMING!!

Parent not staff

That's not the version of events that I heard. My understanding is this:

1) They win Div II in 2007. Everyone pressures LaFlamme to move up to World Class - especially the staff, who want to start picking up World Class-level paychecks.

2) LaFlamme refuses. He loses many key staff to other corps. Many of them go to Citations, and transform them into title contenders almost overnight. (I would describe this as ironic, except that the results were more tragic.)

3) As a result of the departures, his corps implodes in 2008, and fails to make finals. The financial collapse follows a few months later.

Now, maybe LaFlamme should have made the big jump up to World Class, and if he had done that, perhaps Spartans would still be in existence. But then again, plenty of corps made the jump up prematurely to World Class/Division 1 over the years, and then promptly disintegrated. My impression is that either approach proposed huge risks to his organization, so LaFlamme chose the least risky approach - which turned out to be the wrong one.

You can label this mismangement if you wish. I would simply label it as a business decision that didn't pan out. LaFlamme tried to do the conservative, prudent thing - and he lost the key resource his organization needed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, good one.

Anyone have any updates on whether Revolution can complete the tour? I'm hoping for the best for these kids!

Anyone have any updates on whether Revolution can complete the tour? I'm hoping for the best for these kids!

Good question. Also, isn't there a pretty stiff penalty imposed by DCI if the corps were to end their season at San Antonio and not complete the rest of their season committments?

I just saw this post on the corps' blog...

THIS DEFINITELY SOUNDS SERIOUS!!!

REVOLUTION BLOG

See the blog now.

http://revochronicles.blogspot.com

The corps management seem much more hopefully about the situation. They are certainly grateful for the outpouring of suppor they have received from the DBC community. However, they still wish to collect fees from members who have not yet paid, so that issue is not fully resolved.

I look forward to their performance tomorrow. They will be the first corps out of the tunnel in the Alamodome at 4 P.M. CDT. If you are attending the show, please come for the start, and show your support for this corps, which has overcome huge obstacles to give this performance.

Edited by oldschooldbc

Despite the negative impact cutting the tour short would have on the members who paid their fees and fulfilled their contracts, there is a huge danger in bailing out a corps in this situation. I suppose we could make analogies to larger issues of "bail outs" in the United States right now.

The post from the Revolution PR contact outlines all the reasons why we potential donors should be wary about making a contribution right now. 1) The corps left for tour knowing it could not cover expenses. 2) The corps chose not to do a full financial restructuring after getting into financial trouble in the past. 3) The corps was fined by DCI for violating some kind of DCI policy suggesting administrative problems.

Obviously everyone should do what they can to help all drum corps, but I will use my money to support corps that are operating with sound financial practices in place. I certainly do not want the members of Revolution to wind up stranded on tour without food, but I also don't want to help the corps administration to avoid dealing with the real underlying problems that brought them to this place again.

you have to understand that most of the kids who march, are not in the best financial condition. when i marched revo in 2007 we had kids when we came to the SA show that where still paying there tour fees. i guess this year, ALOT of kids just hadnt paid their tour fees...