Bass drummers

im 6'2.5", bout 205, slightly broad shoulders.

UNT uses Dynasty drums and last year i played 5, which was a 32? i believe.

You do seem to have a frame large enough to support a drum such as a 32" bass. I am about the same height and weigh more and have carried nothing smaller than a 28" bass my whole marching career. Perhaps you tweaked an area near the hernia and made it worse with the heavy bass? I myself have never had worse problems than back pain and spasms, which suck but won't stop many people in the long run. How is your posture? Maybe you should consult a doctor that knows about sport injuries and inquire?

You do seem to have a frame large enough to support a drum such as a 32" bass. I am about the same height and weigh more and have carried nothing smaller than a 28" bass my whole marching career. Perhaps you tweaked an area near the hernia and made it worse with the heavy bass? I myself have never had worse problems than back pain and spasms, which suck but won't stop many people in the long run. How is your posture? Maybe you should consult a doctor that knows about sport injuries and inquire?

lol ive already consulted and its gonna be removed soon. possibly by laser treatment. i hope it is. cuz recovery is a.........

Sounds like I've been lucky to have never experienced anything like that. I've played bass drum for 2 years in high school, 4 in college and 2 summers of drum corps. I've never played a drum smaller than a 28" and 3 of the years in college plus 1 summer of corps was on a 32" and I've never even experienced any issues with my back to this point and it has been 10 years since the last time I carried a drum.

Once you recover, make sure you get properly stretched from now on and never lean back, always lean forward to stretch your back when you need it. I remember one specific day on tour in '98 near the end of the season where our time was short for morning stretch for some reason and my body really felt it the next day. Carrying large drums are definitely not good for you but we can only try to take specific precautions to minimize the results of it.

Would you mind if I asked how old you are ? I'm 57 and I carried a bass drum 8 of my 10 yrs marching in

corps the other two I carried a snare and triple tenors , to make a long story short the real problems are a few years

off for you two , trust me guys ! If you want to PM me that will be fine I just love to talk to my fellow bass drummers !

Rudi man - Rudi - short for Rudimental Bass

I just turned 19 a few days ago, actually. I do plan on marching at least 2 more years in my collegedrumline, and I've got three more years to march DCI, which I'll be marching all of =]

So I've still got plenty of time to develop back problems! hahahaha

Hey, I marched a bass drum.

Never corps, but 4 years of college and 3 years of winter line. After my first year on a 20", I felt I needed more "pressence", so I volunteered to march the 32".

No real back issues, just the normal aches I assume everyone gets. I'm 5'6" on a good day, 145 lbs (170 when I marched 8 years ago). Those J-hooks were a real pain in the...thigh. I always made sure to carry it backpack style whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Oh the memories...

lol ive already consulted and its gonna be removed soon. possibly by laser treatment. i hope it is. cuz recovery is a.........

Good luck then man.