Not old enough to know

a marching trumpet

Didn't come from the Pennsylvania/Maryland area did it? :worthy:

* Ducking from Marty * :devil::worthy:

Wish I had pictures of the piston/rotor "Baby Contras" Westshore had 1974 and again 1984/1985. They were out of date then but cheap . So small even I had fun playing (around with) them. Think if you rested them on their bell, they only came up to your waist.

Well, some waists are higher than others... *ahem* :devil:

We had a baby contra like that too, actually I played in a parade with one in 1994, and I have a picture of that. I'll go dig into my boxes and I'll post it. Almost looks like an euphonium resting on the shoulder... haha

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, some waists are higher than others... *ahem* :worthy:

Hey.. I resemble that remark <$1 to Curly of the Three Stooges>

We had a baby contra like that too, actually I played in a parade with one in 1994, and I have a picture of that. I'll go dig into my boxes and I'll post it. Almost looks like an euphonium resting on the shoulder... haha

That's what I'm thinking about. Funny thing is some corps did have an euphonium that rested on the shoulder. Not sure of the details as before my time but saw HornsUp with one a few years ago at a gig. :worthy:

That's what I'm thinking about. Funny thing is some corps did have an euphonium that rested on the shoulder. Not sure of the details as before my time but saw HornsUp with one a few years ago at a gig. :thumbup:

The only corps I remember having those shoulder euphs was CMCC Warriors in '69. For some reason, I want to say they were Smith Music horns. What say ye, HornsUp?

The only corps I remember having those shoulder euphs was CMCC Warriors in '69. For some reason, I want to say they were Smith Music horns. What say ye, HornsUp?

Smith sold some euphs as early as 1964, but they were front-carried. They were made in Neustadt West Germany by F.X. Huller.

My euph I played with Westshore Alumni at '08 Harrisburg. It's a Whaley Royce in raw brass. G-D with an F rotary mounted on a slide. Chromatic up from written T.C. E under the staff, except for the first Ab and Eb. Can dial in almost every pitch with the slide.

Is only baritone bore (.555) but plays quite nicely. Iron Lips has a similar horn, but a later G-F model and it doen't play nearly as well.

• 2 months later...
FWIW, mellophones have always had the "Dial-a-note*" phenomenon - especially above the staff.

* The term "Dial-a-note" is a trademark of Mr. Edward "Dirty Eddie" Lawrence. Please use with care.

Ahh ... what? :innocent: An Ed Lawrence reference? Wow! :cool: Great player - I used to love to listen to him "sing" parts - sounded just like the horn he was emulating. BTW absolutely no better horn was ever made for drum corps than the Ultratone Mello -just saying. :angel1:

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Ahh ... what? :innocent: An Ed Lawrence reference? Wow! :cool: Great player - I used to love to listen to him "sing" parts - sounded just like the horn he was emulating. BTW absolutely no better horn was ever made for drum corps than the Ultratone Mello -just saying. :angel1:

Puppet

Yeah, Ed is one of a kind. You should see him look at a score when he doesn't have the right glasses..... And he never met a lip-trill he didn't like. This past summer he played frenchie on Miserlou with Sky Alumni. He said it was the first time in 40 years that he played frenchie. I think the last time was before Bunce brought WR Imperial mellos into the Kingsmen (Bronx, NY, for you young'uns).

Have to agree about the Ultratone Mello. King 2V horn was a close second.

oops. wrong thread

Edited by s3si1u