Fan Network Rant

i came home from college orientation ready to watch on demand videos :whistle:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#3) The quality of the video and audio I can assure you is of great quality. I uploaded Beverly personally in (SD) quality in widescreen. The audio bitrate was 48K which is better than CD quality at 44.1K. The video was down-converted to 2500Kbps bit rate instead of the standard 25Mb bit rate. These files I am dealing with are better than 6GB a piece. They must be converted to something that can actually be uploaded through the network. It would take days to upload (1) video at full resolution.

Tim Snyder

Box 5 Productions

I think this proves that you don't know what you're doing.

To be clear, 44.1 KHz is the sampling rate. CD quality bitrate is over 1000 Kbps which is obviously much higher than 16 or 48.

Edited by Nizerifin

I'm thinking you need to update some supporting software for your browser. Got the latest Java? Quicktime? all that good stuff?

I can pull it up with Past performances in video .. paid the same as you .. and it works on Firefox and IExplorer

I just checked.. all the 1995 videos are on there.

Ok got it fixed. Thanks guys :whistle:

Now i'm happy again.

I think this proves that you don't know what you're doing.

To be clear, 44.1 KHz is the sampling rate. CD quality bitrate is over 1000 Kbps which is obviously much higher than 16 or 48.

I personally think that you are being unrealistic. I didn't put the trailing Hz, I apologize about that, but I uploaded audio to Brightcove in 48KHz which is better than CD quality.

Tim

I have watched this thread with great interest. I will offer some help to you as I have intimate knowledge of the situation involved in this as we are a provider of some of these VOD videos as well as corps content.

I can tell you the following:

#1) DCI IS NOT throttling bandwidth at any point. They are committed to quality.

#2) DCI HAS NOT specifically decided to not record certain corps and not post them to the VOD section.

#3) The quality of the video and audio I can assure you is of great quality. I uploaded Beverly personally in (SD) quality in widescreen. The audio bitrate was 48K which is better than CD quality at 44.1K. The video was down-converted to 2500Kbps bit rate instead of the standard 25Mb bit rate. These files I am dealing with are better than 6GB a piece. They must be converted to something that can actually be uploaded through the network. It would take days to upload (1) video at full resolution.

#4) IT IS NOT THE CAMERAS BEING USED. I have (5) people on the road at all times, all with matching HD Cameras. We are capturing great quality video and audio. I know for a fact that the DCI crews are using Canon XL1 cameras which are very good SD cameras.

#5) In terms of upload times I can not speak for everyone only myself. In the case of the Beverly, MA show I had to fly the tapes back to Louisville and encode them for upload. They were up and ready for viewing by 5pm the following day. I am currently uploading Columbia to brightcove. These things take time. Some people have the gear to encode on-site, I do not, I have to get tapes and bring them in and re-encode them for upload. It does take time. Columbia ended last night at 10 or so. I met the corps in Orlando at 6am to start the encoding process. As we only have laptops on the road encoding takes a little longer. So based on what I am seeing right now Columbia will be ready by this evening - less than 24 hours after the show.

#6) Everyone has a right to have their opinion on how this situation should work. However, those people that say they can do it faster are not on the road day in and day out working very hard for DCI and these drum corps. Internet connection is very hard to come by out on the road, specifically fast upload speeds. I can honestly tell you that anyone with better ideas to please let us know what they are because, I want it to be faster, I want it to be better, I want you to be happy.

#7) I have watched all the streaming videos on brightcove and I am able to get video bitrates at a much higher quality than some are reporting here. You should also realize that brightcove decides which version of the video that receive. There are 4 different versions of the Holy Name performance in Beverly 468k up to 1500k in video quality. I don't know how you are getting your video but I am able to see all 4 versions.

As far as the website uptime and other issues. I can't speak towards that as all I know is the video.

I hope that helps some of your concerns.

Tim Snyder

Box 5 Productions

Thank you for your post. Definitely gives a bit of insight into the process yall are operating on. If i can ask, a lot of the complaint seems to be that things are different from last year- specifically in the delay time. How were they able to get them up so fast last year? Can you provide any insight into that?

As far as the CD quality, i always heard that 192kbps was 'near cd quality' (which is what wikipedia says to as i check my data). 44kbps IS NOT cd quality.

I personally think that you are being unrealistic. I didn't put the trailing Hz, I apologize about that, but I uploaded audio to Brightcove in 48KHz which is better than CD quality.

Tim

The sampling rate is 44.1 KHz on the videos you uploaded, not 48 KHz. You are confusing bitrate and sampling rate.

Here is the info on the Cavies show from 6.26:

General

Format : MPEG-4

Format profile : Base Media

Codec ID : isom

File size : 54.3 MiB

Duration : 13mn 17s

Overall bit rate : 571 Kbps

Encoded date : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00

Tagged date : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00

Writing application : Lavf52.16.0

Comment : FlixEngineLinux_8.0.14.0 (www.on2.com)

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : Baseline@L2.1

Format settings, CABAC : No

Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 515 Kbps

Width : 480 pixels

Height : 268 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16/9

Resolution : 24 bits

Colorimetry : 4:2:0

Scan type : Progressive

Stream size : 49.0 MiB (90%)

Audio

ID : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format version : Version 4

Format profile : LC

Format settings, SBR : No

Codec ID : 40

Bit rate : 48.0 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : L R

Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz

Resolution : 16 bits

Stream size : 4.56 MiB (8%)

Thank you for your post. Definitely gives a bit of insight into the process yall are operating on. If i can ask, a lot of the complaint seems to be that things are different from last year- specifically in the delay time. How were they able to get them up so fast last year? Can you provide any insight into that?

As far as the CD quality, i always heard that 192kbps was 'near cd quality' (which is what wikipedia says to as i check my data). 44kbps IS NOT cd quality.

48KHz is what I uploaded. Brightcove reencodes the video and audio to fit their needs. As far as last year, I don't know how they did it. I only did one show last year and we uploaded in exactly the same fashion.

Tim

DCI's office isn't very big. Be grateful of how hardworking these guys are. I do video and sound and yes they don't have to do much editing and the quality isn't perfect... BUT I also do web design, and it is NOT easy to keep such a large web organization up to date and perfectly on time! Especially when you have to work with so many demanding fans like yourself.

I'm sorry but I work as a web designer too so if DCI is going to offer these kinds of services to the demanding and paying fans, they better step up. Regardless of their size in staff. If they can't handle it, hire someone who can get it done. So many excuses!

The sampling rate is 44.1 KHz on the videos you uploaded, not 48 KHz. You are confusing bitrate and sampling rate.

Here is the info on the Cavies show from 6.26:

General

Format : MPEG-4

Format profile : Base Media

Codec ID : isom

File size : 54.3 MiB

Overall bit rate : 571 Kbps

Writing application : Lavf52.16.0

Comment : FlixEngineLinux_8.0.14.0 (www.on2.com)

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : Baseline@L2.1

Format settings, CABAC : No

Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate : 515 Kbps

Width : 480 pixels

Height : 268 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16/9

Resolution : 24 bits

Colorimetry : 4:2:0

Scan type : Progressive

Stream size : 49.0 MiB (90%)

Audio

ID : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format version : Version 4

Format profile : LC

Format settings, SBR : No

Codec ID : 40

Bit rate : 48.0 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : L R

Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz

Resolution : 16 bits

Stream size : 4.56 MiB (8%)

No, I forgot the trailing Hz on the sampling rates I am not confusing anything. I have not encoded or uploaded any Cavaliers shows. The only shows I uploaded were Beverly, MA and Columbia, SC and will be doing Salem, VA. I am very competent at my job. Brightcove changes the files. Today I am uploading 44.1KHz audio to try and save space on the upload.

Edited by Robin80