Fan Network Rant

Look, I am not putting anything on anything. If you want to know the bit rate at which my files are uploaded: I can tell you that.

Audio is encoded today at:

AAC Stereo Interleaved

44.100 KHz

96kbps

In order to upload a full resolution audio along with the video, the resulting file was 850mb, way too large for upload. So we have to downgrade in places to make this happen. Once it gets to brightcove I don't know how it is delivered to you.

tim

Tim,

You are doing what you can to offer high quality video. But if 'Brightcove' turns it into poor quality video/audio then it doesn't help us, the consumer, much now does it? It's good to now that the show are being recorded at high quality. Is there anyone at Brightcove we can contact to voice our dissatisfaction?

ps. what is brightcove? :whistle:

Edited by CUDAKITE

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents because I am sure that DCI will be looking at this post- it has been entirely too active for someone at headquarters to not notice.

I am not a technodork- I use a decent quality macbook and a decent quality internet service and I am perfectly happy getting to see anything from the shows- the videos could be better quality but I get to see the overall idea changes as they progress through the season. I make sure to get out to at least one regional before finals every year so I can get my BEST quality fix while I am there experiencing it for myself.

I DO HAVE A PROBLEM- with the varying amounts of time it takes for the videos to become available. When I bought the subscription I did my research and was excited because everyone assured me that DCI was excellent at getting the videos posted immediately- not saying they need to be up five minutes after the corps exits the field- but somewhere within 24 hours would be nice... even the slowest servers can do that (I think). If that time frame is too much to ask for then- I agree with all the above posts that some COMMUNICATION would be nice- if not to everyone on the DCI listserve(call it good PR and extra in-your-face advertising) then at least to the paying customers-as to when DCI's tech people are planning to have the videos posted so that we don't have to play the darned refresh button game.

So to quote thousands of relationship therapists everywhere "Communication is Key"

edit: I did also send a kind suggestion note to the fan network detailing my above feelings and I hope y'all will too!

Edited by eagreen

Or they could go the OTHER way and not offer anything, saving themselves the time, resources, and (apparent) aggravation...

Are you prepared to pony up the cash to pay for the full-staffed, full-time dedicated Web Content employment for DCI? The kind of people that you speak of cost money.

Yes

I just emailed DCI and told them that if the upload time and quality of On Demand Videos and the webcast quality do not improve over this weekend I will be calling my CC company to reverse the charges since DCI has not deleivered the product advertised. If enough of us do this maybe it will light a fire under them!

Someone tell me what this means. When I click to watch an On Demand Video, the entire video loads in about 12 seconds. This goes for all of the On Demands this year. For the "On the Field" past finals videos, those all load in about 20 seconds. If the server has enough bandwidth to allow me to load these videos that fast, shouldn't they have enough to stream MUCH higher quality videos?

Well, keep in mind that you're loading at a time when not a lot of people are on. That helps tremendously.

But, from what insight we have been given by Tim, it sounds like the conversation that needs to be had is not with DCI, but with Brightcove. It sounds like the're taking the content that people like Tim are giving them and re-encoding it. I'm not sure what they're doing but it seems that the issue may be with the double-encoding. Maybe there are additional server issues we don't know about, maybe it's with a tech at Brightcove who doesn't understand the content he's been given, who knows?

I do think, though, that this should make people aware of the need for making inquiries in a civil manner. I'd dare say that we are making the general DCI audience come across as a bunch of know-it-all's who don't really have the insight necessary to make the strong judgments we have. Yes, it's quite possible that we wouldn't have gotten ANY insight if not for this thread, but some of us are getting TOO invested in the criticisms.

Someone else made a great suggestion. It sounds like a specific inquiry should be made to DCI referencing the content of Tim's post and making DCI aware that we would appreciate some insight into what Brightcove is doing with the content once they receive it, both in terms of upload and the speed of access. For all we know its Brightcove that's not fullfilling their commitment to DCI, or at least not fulfilling it in an optimum manner. And as much as some may think that Dan Acheson and his staff are looking at this board everyday and reading every thread, complaining on DCP does not equate to an actual inquiry to DCI. Their Comments/Questions sections doesn't have digital telepathy. A calm, informed inquiry should be made first. If DCI ignores it or send cookie-cutter responses, THEN we have more reason for frustration.

But I think a more civil inquiry beyond informing DCI they are an epic fail with go farther in getting us all what we want.

Tim,

You are doing what you can to offer high quality video. But if 'Brightcove' turns it into poor quality video/audio then it doesn't help us, the consumer, much now does it? It's good to now that the show are being recorded at high quality. Is there anyone at Brightcove we can contact to voice our dissatisfaction?

ps. what is brightcove? :whistle:

Brightcove- The Leading Online Video Platform

It all starts with the qualty level of the camera used. I have seen some of the cameras that are used, and they cost less then $1000.00

I did major recording (700) winterguard shows for Southern California winterguard this past spring, we used cameras in the $10,000.00 range.

videos are not edited at DCI headquarters, they are recorded and uploaded probably at the city where the event took place.

I has using brightcove and Adobe live media encoder...there are multiple settings that can be used, they do take up more storage and data space,

This isn't the case. A 500 Dollar camera could put out higher quality Video and Audio than what is presented on the website.

They Render the videos to a VERY low quality. That is why the videos are bad quality, it has nothing to do with the camera

I can only guess why they do this. It lowers the amount of bandwidth the server puts out and it encourages APD downloads.

I don't care if it is DCI who is downgrading the videos or brightcover, we paid DCI for videos and we are not satisfied with our result. DCI should have tested a 3rd party organization/company when they planned to release the videos through them. DCI can't just say " It isn't our fault..." ... It is.

Edited by g0at

My two cents because I am sure that DCI will be looking at this post- it has been entirely too active for someone at headquarters to not notice.

I am not a technodork- I use a decent quality macbook and a decent quality internet service and I am perfectly happy getting to see anything from the shows- the videos could be better quality but I get to see the overall idea changes as they progress through the season. I make sure to get out to at least one regional before finals every year so I can get my BEST quality fix while I am there experiencing it for myself.

I DO HAVE A PROBLEM- with the varying amounts of time it takes for the videos to become available. When I bought the subscription I did my research and was excited because everyone assured me that DCI was excellent at getting the videos posted immediately- not saying they need to be up five minutes after the corps exits the field- but somewhere within 24 hours would be nice... even the slowest servers can do that (I think). If that time frame is too much to ask for then- I agree with all the above posts that some COMMUNICATION would be nice- if not to everyone on the DCI listserve(call it good PR and extra in-your-face advertising) then at least to the paying customers-as to when DCI's tech people are planning to have the videos posted so that we don't have to play the darned refresh button game.

So to quote thousands of relationship therapists everywhere "Communication is Key"

DCI Support

Here is the link for contacting DCI through their provided opportunity to do so. I invite you to use it (I'm not trying to be snide..I really do invite you to use it to help get your opinion to them). But expecting them to come to you is not going to solve the problem (another therapist saying). I guarantee it.

As for when the videos come available...Does anyone else remember a couple years ago when they not only had the date of the event they were going to be recording but also had something like "APD's available by" and a date? Am I just dreaming that? If I am not then maybe their agreement with Brightcove is what keeps them from posting such a definitive date anymore.

... As far as last year, I don't know how they did it. I only did one show last year and we uploaded in exactly the same fashion.

Tim

"There's your problem" :whistle:

And to re-iterate this once more... I don't care how much Granny thinks that the videos online are good quality.

THEY ARE NOT.... There are rehearsal videos on youtube that are better than what I am PAYING for.

I personally run a youtube account ( non- DCI related). My webcam and my sony video camera can put out better quality sound and video. I have a large audience.

DCI needs to find a company that will host the files and allow them to stream at a higher quality. End of story.