Deaf Drum Major

Relax Francis...

The deaf community itself uses (and prefers) the term "deaf" (see Gallaudet University's website for example). In fact, quite a few deaf find "hearing impaired" offensive since they do not (and with good reason) consider their lack of hearing as an "impairment" at all.

Can we get off the PC train now?

Oh, and congrats to the DM!

Edited by EMStar85
  • Like 1

Relax Francis...

The deaf community itself uses (and prefers) the term "deaf" (see Gallaudet University's website for example). In fact, quite a few deaf find "hearing impaired" offensive since they do not (and with good reason) consider their lack of hearing as an "impairment" at all.

Can we get off the PC train now?

Oh, and congrats to the DM!

Thanks for the congrats.

Quite a few people do find it offensive though, because then they will feel like they themselves are "disabled" citizens when they oppose to it. But really, when you describe "deaf" to the Deaf community, there's two kinds of "deaf" people. It's all about the "D" though. Lower case d in deaf means that the person themselves are deaf, but are not involved within the Deaf community. Upper case D in Deaf has quite a few meanings to it. Deaf are deaf, and some times HoH (hard of hearing) people within a Deaf Community. Meaning it classify's a deaf individual. I myself is in the Deaf Community and I am very fluent in ASL, therefore I am a Deaf individual; with a capital "D". If I weren't in the Deaf community, I would be labeled as a deaf person, with lower case "d".

I myself is actually, HoH in the right ear (65%) and deaf in the left ear (35%). I myself is Oral-Deaf and has a hearing aid; if I took it out, I would hear nothing, except up close, and I tend to say "what" all the time!

So really, I may be HoH, But I am Labelled as Deaf, in which I am. So if you're judgemental and say I am actually HoH, really; I am Deaf.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update DD (OK, can you give your real first name?). Another reason some of us use the word 'deaf' is because of our age. I'm 51 and use 'deaf' because that was the term used in my younger days. My church had a large number of hearing impaired/deaf members including three of the ministers sons. Grew up with the term 'deaf' and that's what I still use. And my finger spelling sucks...

Of course I've also gotten flack for using 'Black' instead of 'people of color'.... :laughing:

LOL. You know, I got a "mmmm hmmmm" from my wife for not using "D". I should know better; my apologies. :)

Anyway, good luck to the Blue Saints and please tell Mark hi from me. He's a great guy and I've always enjoyed being around him and your corps. :)

LOL. You know, I got a "mmmm hmmmm" from my wife for not using "D". I should know better; my apologies. :)

Anyway, good luck to the Blue Saints and please tell Mark hi from me. He's a great guy and I've always enjoyed being around him and your corps. :)

What's your name? Bet I'm gonna see you around DCP alot, so I got to know the names XD

Thanks for the update DD (OK, can you give your real first name?). Another reason some of us use the word 'deaf' is because of our age. I'm 51 and use 'deaf' because that was the term used in my younger days. My church had a large number of hearing impaired/deaf members including three of the ministers sons. Grew up with the term 'deaf' and that's what I still use. And my finger spelling sucks...

Of course I've also gotten flack for using 'Black' instead of 'people of color'.... :tongue:

ALrighty, my First name is Gaelen. Bet you don't want to hear the last.

Well people have preferences on how the reply to a topic related with deaf and Deaf people. If you are go with deaf, thats fine, but it is more formally to say Deaf, especially within' a Deaf community! Not haggling you, just to make things clear!

Well I usually don't ask for full names on the internet in case people don't want to give out too much personal info. But have a feeling there might be a hidden meaning behind "Bet you don't want to hear the last".

Well people have preferences on how the reply to a topic related with deaf and Deaf people. If you are go with deaf, thats fine, but it is more formally to say Deaf, especially within' a Deaf community! Not haggling you, just to make things clear!

No problem, first time I've replied to an Internet topic about the Deaf so appreciate the info.

Oh Hades... keep forgetting to say this.... good luck and glad to see the Blue Saints are still in operation.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Oh Hades... keep forgetting to say this.... good luck and glad to see the Blue Saints are still in operation.

Thanks for the luck! I will pass it on to other members in the corp! They will be excited people on DCP are wishing them good luck! Blue Saints is also the oldest running corp in Canada, a good solid 56 years and counting!

No pun intended, I'm sure :tongue:

Well, look out for me at the I/E competitions. You will definately hear my last name there! LOL