Columbia, SC - FirstBEAT

Hey everyone, its early in the morning, so I'll give a very brief review of the Columbia show from yesterday, 7/9/2009.

Didn't get to see Alliance, as I got there late and decided to catch up with some old corps friends...sorry!

Teal Sound - Well, I do have to say that I actually like the new corps uniforms. The show itself was pretty neat in the way that they integrated the corps into and around the velvet ropes and such...this corps just has a lot of cleaning to do, especially in feet and brass stickouts...battery seemed levels above the rest of the corps, but maybe that was just my ears.

Crossmen - What to say? I really like the musical selections, and I like the presence that the corps brings to the field...HOWEVER, the drum corps really really really really overuses the capes in the show and just does too much walking around while holding their capes up...this corps has a lot of cleaning to do, but you can definitely tell the kids enjoy being out there and performing the heck out of their show. If they clean it up and make a few changes here and there, I can see a potential Semifinals appearance...not trying to be harsh, the corps just seems pretty young to me.

Boston Crusaders - Coming from someone who has been bored by the BAC productions as of late...WOW!! I was very impressed with the Crusaders, and thought their show was one of the most entertaining of the night...very good hornline, guard, and percussion, and the show had the crowd on their feet a lot. Very provocative theme, and portrayed very well...well done BAC!

-Intermission-

Blue Stars - First and foremost, big props to Brad Green and crew for the sound they are putting out of that hornline!! This corps was very entertaining, and seemed quite a bit cleaner and more mature than Boston, and I was very impressed with their drill. Very creative use of props and the voice didn't detract from the show at all...although I didn't feel that it added very much either. Altogether, great performance from the Blue Stars.

Holy Name Cadets - Very, very, very good drum corps. Intense as all get out, and clearly on a mission. HOWEVER, after seeing it in person, I don't get what most people are saying about it being straight run and gun the entire time, or that it is more difficult than other shows that are placing around it...sure, there are many sections like that, but it also seemed that there is lots of time being spent in the 120-144 range (not saying its not hard, just saying the entire show isn't at 200 like some people imply)...Otherwise...FANTASTIC show from the Cadets...they were so loud! Guard is tight, and very lively music...I was very impressed. Great show to play for the 75...I kept getting goosebumps watching them :whistle:

Carolina Crown - Incredible performance from Crown tonight...the hornline produces such a lush, beautiful sound, and they're playing LOTS of notes :whistle: . Battery was tight, guard is rapidly improving...and its great to see all of the show flags! This group marches quite better than Holy Name at this point...but it may change, because HNC is known (as we all know) for making late pushes. Overall, a much cleaner performance from Crown, and the show had me getting giddy at many points. The ONE thing I would change is the ending...its just too slow for my tastes...although I'm sure a change is coming soon that will change the pace of that portion...I do feel that Cadets will overtake Crown if that portion isn't changed.

Great show tonight from all!! Looking forward to seeing them all later in the season!

-Intermission-

That's all you have to say about the INT??? :whistle:

Great review! I just can't wait to see all of this myself at the Atlanta Regional!

This group marches quite better than Holy Name at this point...

Thanks for the review!

I wonder why the disconnect between judges and fans. HNC won all visual stuff last night. 2 nights ago, they indeed did lose vis perf tho.