Troopers top Scouts

I took a bunch of crap after I toasted the last half of the Madison show in my Dubuque review. Although I thought the Troopers show was a bit wierd and the guard costumes offensive to Native Americans, their performance was one of the best I'd seen since a long way back. The horns and drums just play well and with power. The guard has improved as well and although both these corps boast much larger guard numbers this year, Madison's all male guard is less talented.

I believe Madison's guard issues come from the slim pickings in trying to maintain an all male guard when their location makes the task nearly impossible given the top corps near them all accepting male color guard members as well.[b/]

I mean, you don't actually want them to consider allowing women in, do you?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if he meant that BUT Phantom going Co-Ed had to hurt recruiting some. The rise of the Blue Stars adds yet another midwest drain on the regional recruiting base. I can see where the Scouts are having trouble recruiting enough guys to fill a guard nevermind getting the talent they used to draw.

They shouldn't have to, but there is a real talent drain right now in the Midwest away from Madison and they're going to have to work hard to counteract it. It's certainly possible, but as this summer is showing it's going to take more than just the Madison mystique to draw in the kids they need to stay strong. Almost all of Madison's trademarks have been co-opted by other corps.

I would think that the modern co-ed guards has to be a factor compared to the time when Cavaliers and Scouts had a monopoly on male guard members. But why has it affected Scouts more than Cavaliers? Is it strictly due to the Cavaliers' competitive success? Are there any other reasons why Scouts are suffering more than others?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Is it strictly due to the Cavaliers' competitive success?

Garry in Vegas

Yes

They were THAT AWESOME!!!

Actually, it was 2007. Troop's beaten Madison at least once every season since they came back.

ya, it was Columbus, OH in 2007. . .that was at the Columbus Crew's stadium

Div. I

1 Blue Devils »84.800

2 Santa Clara Vanguard »83.250

3 Spirit »72.100

4 Pacific Crest »71.700

5 Seattle Cascades »71.200

6 Troopers »69.350

7 Madison Scouts »67.700

Edited by mellodcd

Its because Troop is BA! The trip 1/2 way round the world is deff going to be worth it this year to watch the finals weekend showdown!!!

I think Madison's guard program is going to continue to suffer as Cavies (all male) and Regiment (taking more and more guys each year) continue to gobble talented male guard members.

I don't know what the solution ultimately is. They managed to work around it in the late 1990s with smoke and mirrors visual programs. Their visual program is a mess...especially in the second half of this year's show.

Madison should just fold.. They have been around far too long and why should DCI fans care if there is one less corps at every show. Right?

Edited by Cop

Madison should just fold.. They have been around far too long and why should DCI fans care if there is one less corps at every show. Right?

saying that on these forums i would :tongue: if i said that

Edited by Silver_King