Troopers top Scouts

My god, I hope this was intended to be read in a sarcastic tone!

I'm fairly sure that what he/she said was sarcastic. I think it's safe to say that no DCI fan wants to see any corps fold, especially not one as awesome as the Scouts.

On a more fun note, I was at Drums last night with my roommate who marched Cavies 06-08, and we are both HUGE 1995 scouts fans. That show is why we joined the activity. And when we heard the malaga bit in the Scouts' opener, we both looked at each other with the GEEKIEST expressions of joy EVER.

Great show Madison, I enjoyed it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My god, I hope this was intended to be read in a sarcastic tone!

Madison has given their fans such fantastic shows for so many decades that if they have a show which isn't up to par everyone freaks out. What is the deal people?

There are worse shows than this one every year, and there will be again. You can't expect Madison to do exactly what YOU think they should do every single year.

If they don't make finals this year - so what, the staff will learn from their mistakes.

Personally, I actually like the corps uniforms this year, and I LOVE the guard uni's.

I think the music kicks ###, and yes they have a LOT of cleaning to do, and yes I agree that the show is not conveying the theme very well, but the show isn't THAT bad, jeesh.

Maybe next year they will fill half the field with tables that fall down during the performance - would that make you happy? Ok, that isn't very nice to say, but that's NOT what Madison does.

Different corps for different folks...

Glad you caught it...

The world is a better place to have any drum corps at any level on the field. All of us are lucky to have both Troopers and Madison in the mix... first place or last.

Edited by Cop

[Troop vs. Madison comparison]

In general I agree that Madison has the stronger brass and more difficult drill, but the problem for Madison is the sheer amount of things they have to change in the time remaining. Their show isn't in a place where they can clean it and win. They have serious issues (guard, marching, guard, storytelling, guard) that need to be fixed before they can be considered a Finalist.

The show needs to be radically different next weekend if they want to stand a chance. There needs to be some major rewrites going in over the next three days they have to rehearse. If they don't come out to play Thursday, they'll be going on first and be at even worse of a disadvantage.

Meanwhile, WSS has just worked from the first moment it hit the field. They're adding to it every show and making it stronger. They've got three days off after San Antonio to add new stuff.

Troop has to make themselves better. Madison has to fix things first. It's a long road ahead for Madison if they want to move back up.

Edited by Pinwiz

Meanwhile, WSS has just worked from the first moment it hit the field.

It's hard to imagine a WSS show that did not work from the first moment.... :thumbdown::huh: :huh:

Seriously, though, except for one high trumpet lick, Troopers are not taking any risks. They will have to be squeeky clean to beat Madison on Aug. 7. DCI tends to reward risk-takers.

You ever hear of Northern Lights winterguard? One of the greatest winterguards this decade... Scouts have the staff as of 2009.... And if the Scouts are indeed spinning a 15 man rifle line in opener (as I heard), that means their is a guard program in place....and this year is year "one".

Wow didn't know that. Northern Lights winterguard was one of, if not the best out there. Really Loved both the Shaw Shank and Road to Perdition shows. Missed them this year! To be honest with you I'm shocked they have their staff based on what I'm seeing so far but that tells me good things should be right around the corner for that guard.

Watching the VOD from Denver again, I think people are really giving Madison short shrift. Here's what I see (and hear).

1. Madison MOVES for their entire show. Troopers have a lot of park and blow, example - their entire low brass during One Hand.

2. Every tempo Madison has is 10-20 bpm faster than Troopers.

3. Madison uses the entire field. This leads to some staging issues that affect the brass impacts, but that will resolve as they get better. Troopers spend a lot of time between the 30s. Helps their brass, but not great for Vis GE.

4. Almost every set for Madison is a blind set. It's up to each individual to hit their dot. Not happening right now. Troopers have a lot of follow-the-leader.

5. Troopers have a lot of nice musical moments and are better in control of their show right now. Horns have some questionable moments even during easier passages. Mid-voices in particular.

6. Madison has a lot more musical demand - multiple tonguing sections, upper register work, etc - just a more complex musical book in general. Coupled with the drill demand, this is hurting their impacts. Mellos in opener :thumbdown:

7. Troopers generally play in a lower register and in darker keys. Makes their brass sound a bit fuller. Trumpets have some high passages that were surprisingly good. I love it when corps take risks like that. But they were standing still during those passages. Madison is playing in higher/brighter keys for the entire show. The low brass is there, they are just playing in a higher register.

8. I heard many more individuals sticking out of Troopers brass line than Madisons.

Overall impression: Troopers have an automatic crowd-pleaser with the WSS material. They also have some really sweet musical moments. The dark uni's hide a ton of visual dirt. But, Madison has the more difficult show, by far, and they will have to work harder to sell the unfamiliar material. Once they start to master it, and the guard starts selling the character, it will start to pop. Troopers also have a lot of cleaning to do, but I do not see them beating Madison down the stretch.

So wait, I'm confused by this post... What's your opinion on which corps is better?

Troop has to make themselves better. Madison has to fix things first. It's a long road ahead for Madison if they want to move back up.

Madison beat Troopers in Visual GE at Broken Arrow, despite being way down in ensemble and guard. That's one judge saying Madison has the better visual design. So, who has to fix things and and who has to clean?

Madison beat Troopers in Visual GE at Broken Arrow, despite being way down in ensemble and guard. That's one judge saying Madison has the better visual design. So, who has to fix things and and who has to clean?

Honestly, I think the Scouts have a lot to figure out right now. While I think the Scouts have the more demanding visual design, even if they clean it up it's going to be a tough road for them to plow this year. GL to both corps.

Honestly, I think the Scouts have a lot to figure out right now. While I think the Scouts have the more demanding visual design, even if they clean it up it's going to be a tough road for them to plow this year. GL to both corps.

Not really. Visual Ensemble is the main problem. They're close in every other caption.