What am I missing?

The Blue Devils have nearly lost me as a fan. I used to really look forward to their shows, but lately they have really weak show concepts to me.

The chairs this year are so distracting, the music is so inaccessible, and they seem to build the show around big moments, hot licks, and hype instead of substance.

As I watched the show in Denver last night I couldn't help but contrast the Cavies and BD. I brought a first time viewer to the show and she was totally captivated by the show design, the excellence, the engagement f the Cavies. I was too. Halfway through the BD's opener she was texting her friends and was bored. I was too.

I don't get the performance scores either. Cavies were cleaner and the ensemble was tighter to me.

I don't get it. What am I missing?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Devils have nearly lost me as a fan. I used to really look forward to their shows, but lately they have really weak show concepts to me.

The chairs this year are so distracting, the music is so inaccessible, and they seem to build the show around big moments, hot licks, and hype instead of substance.

As I watched the show in Denver last night I couldn't help but contrast the Cavies and BD. I brought a first time viewer to the show and she was totally captivated by the show design, the excellence, the engagement f the Cavies. I was too. Halfway through the BD's opener she was texting her friends and was bored. I was too.

I don't get the performance scores either. Cavies were cleaner and the ensemble was tighter to me.

Welcome to GE in the 21st Century... its too bad..

Oh great. To be completely honest, neither of these shows are doing it for me yet this year. I liked both of their respective shows last year. But hey, I'm not going to start dissing the corps because of it, because I'm pretty sure both of these show will be much more impressive come finals.

yeah, BD doesn't do anything except chair stuff. they should do a pee wee herman show and ask chairy what the magic word of the day is.

someday they'll be good.

As a person who marched a pee wee herman show last year, I take offense to that. :thumbdown:

Okay, it wasn't really a pee wee herman show. It just had the big adventure theme song in it.

BTW, the magic word of the day is "Sheila"

Edited by Horizon

You start two separate #####ing and moaning posts in a minute? You may have a new DCP record there my friend.

... Is there something you need need to talk about?

As a person who marched a pee wee herman show last year, I take offense to that. :thumbdown:

Okay, it wasn't really a pee wee herman show. It just had the big adventure theme song in it.

What group did that? I never heard it (hopefully there's no offense involved in me saying that)

Glassmen, hello?

Oh, for real? I musta just missed it, I never got a program when I went in to watch the shows after we were done.

You are missing the complete love fest that DCI and the judges have for BD. They are the equivalent of the LA Lakers, USC, Dallas Cowboys, and New York Yankees of DCI. They are the "darlings" and have so many followers and fans all over the country because they win it all just about every year. Like it or no success breads success whether real or imagined.

I very rarely have found their shows entertaining post 1995 with just a few notable exceptions. Now, they do a helluva job and the performers and talent are just amazing, but the shows just don't do anything for me personally. I admire what they've achieved, but I can take them or leave them most years.

Look at last year for an example. Here you have a show in PR's Spartacus that was probably the most impactful and emotional shows in the last 15 to 20 years and they just barely beat out a very boring BD show for the championship. It's almost as if it's theirs to lose every year instead of theirs to earn. I don't have a problem with the kids, I have a problem with the mentality that I think many in the activity have with regards to BD. I mean, when was the last time SCV or any one else even to them in an early year, west coast show? It's a joke.