Blue Devils show

jazz running because they now use a more lifted jazz run technique designed to maintain the same look as their regular straight-leg technique.

Ok, so because Blue Devils have a queer name for a certain marching step that makes it harder??? :devil:

Just FYI, Blue Devils aren't the only corp out on the field performing a marching style that isn't "regular straight-leg" but perhaps you haven't noticed that...

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so because Blue Devils have a queer name for a certain marching step that makes it harder??? :devil:

Just FYI, Blue Devils aren't the only corp out on the field performing a marching style that isn't "regular straight-leg" but perhaps you haven't noticed that...

I love how out of that entire post, you pick out what he calls a marching technique.

Based on everything he said, I'd say he's noticed that.

I am here, I am queer, get used to it. :devil:

"Lifted jazz run" isn't the name of it, it's a description of what it is. Most traditional jazz run techniques involving dropping the body's center of gravity to increase the reach of the legs. The Devils' newer technique involves keeping the body center more lifted so as to maintain the straight-leg look and minimize the knee bend inherent in the "squat and go" technique. Also, when I was referring to "regular straight-leg", I was referring to their non-jazz running technique.

Sorry if that was unclear.

Edited by MagicBobert

Sit down and strap in. This has turned into a rather big post.

Have you seen BD's show this year? I guess jazz running 90% of the show is considered "just at the end" now. More on this later.

Really... I always found blocks and diagonals easier because they were just straight lines and grids. Straight lines are simple to clean as long as you're guiding off the right person. I found curvilinear forms 10x harder to clean because they're based entirely on intervals. Intervals around the edge of a non-regular curve (i.e. not a circle) are extremely difficult to judge, especially when that curve is constantly in motion. The ability to maintain consistent intervals around a non-regular curvilinear form requires pinpoint physical precision and constant mental focus. As someone who performed both blocky drill and curvy drill for 3 years, curvy drill impresses me more. I realize it doesn't always have the kaleidoscope-like "wow" factor of geometric drill, but that's a design consideration, not a performance one.

Also, watch BD's curvilinear forms develop. They aren't follow-the-leader, which is a relatively easy form to control. They travel around the curve as the form is changing shape, which is much harder to control as your frame of reference for the edge of the curve and its intervals are constantly changing.

Oh, good. We agree then.

See points 1 and 2. Also, it's sometimes difficult to tell if the Devils are jazz running because they now use a more lifted jazz run technique designed to maintain the same look as their regular straight-leg technique. In fact, the goal is to not be able to tell the difference between a performer who is jazz running and one who isn't. This contributes greatly to their visual uniformity. The lifted run is very different from their older "squat and go" running technique used in the 90's and early 00's (which is still used by some other corps).

If you want a great example of this, compare the ending of their 2000 show with the end of their 2007 opener:

(times are listed with respect to videos on the Fan Network)

• In 2000, watch 11:46 - 11:53. Look at the technique used by the performers on the edges of the block/parallelogram rotation. Even though this is a high cam shot, you can clearly see the "squat and go" technique used for the huge steps to get around the edge of the form. It's clear from the box that they're seriously hauling.
  • In 2007, watch 4:45 - 4:48. Look at the technique used by the performers on the right side of the screen (jazz running) compared to those on the left (regular marching). They look identical, and from the stands you would never be able to pick this out. The side effect of this visual uniformity is that it looks like they're never jazz running. Visual judges on the field can see it, but it blends in from the box.

I really wish DCP wasn't so Tube-a-phobic (in reference to YouTube). I've got some great close-up videos from the Devils' 2007 semifinals visual rehearsal, and man... holy smokes were they hauling. Not only were they hauling, they looked like gods doing it. It's much easier to tell how much they were running when they were in rehearsal clothes.

I value your opinion based on your show-watching just as much as anyone else's. However, keep in mind that when you base your opinion off that, you'll be heavily biased towards the show-design perspective rather than demand. Although I'm sure plenty of people here will argue otherwise, I think you really do have to have marched somewhere to understand the intricacies of what is demanding and what is not. It's something you just can't get from watching shows. There are plenty of things that look hard that aren't, and plenty of things that look easy but aren't. The only way to know the difference is to do it yourself.

Having said that, I have a feeling that's why the Blue Devils get the short end of the stick in this argument. When I watch some corps, it makes me wonder if they're trying to make everything look hard. The Blue Devils, on the other hand, try to make everything look easy, regardless of whether it actually is or not. I've talked to plenty of my friends who have marched BD and it's abundantly clear from what they've told me that BD shows are not easy. But the thing about the Devils is, if their show looks hard, they're doing their job wrong. They're supposed to make it look so easy that CubanM11 could march it (if he could make the corps). That's part of their philosophy.

Give this guy 50 DCP championship rings. We need more logical people like you! Please don't go away!

Fantastic job! But they will read what they want from this... you know that.

It wouldn't be DCP if they didn't! :devil:

They've already done it.

"Lifted jazz run" isn't the name of it, it's a description of what it is. Most traditional jazz run techniques involving dropping the body's center of gravity to increase the reach of the legs. The Devils' newer technique involves keeping the body center more lifted so as to maintain the straight-leg look and minimize the knee bend inherent in the "squat and go" technique. Also, when I was referring to "regular straight-leg", I was referring to their non-jazz running technique.

Sorry if that was unclear.

Here's my take on the technique.

Level changes... they don't like them. Jazz running (gazelle, flutter) at Blue Devils differs from a regular GLIDE step (not straight leg) forward stride in that it is toe first and turned out. That's it. While I could write a thesis on what I've learned about movement at Blue Devils I'll just say that there are only two FUNDAMENTAL things about our technique really. Heels close to the ground and weight out of the hips. There is a natural bend on crossing counts and our legs are straight only on down beats.

This is the low down on the BD technique. The difference is really in the crossing count. BD allows the leg to naturally bend on crossing counts while straight-leg, well it's what it is... straight the whole time, which requires this weird lifting of the thigh-to-hip joint so the foot can clear enough ground for the knee to stay locked on crossing counts. Hate it.

Edited by bluublood

Here's my take on the technique.

Level changes... we don't like them. Jazz running (gazelle, flutter) at Blue Devils differs from a regular GLIDE step (not straight leg) forward stride in that it is toe first and turned out. That's it. While I could write a thesis on what I've learned about movement at Blue Devils I'll just say that there are only two FUNDAMENTAL things about our technique really. Heels close to the ground and weight out of the hips. There is a natural bend on crossing counts and our legs are straight only on down beats.

This is the low down on the BD technique. The difference is really in the crossing count. BD allows the leg to naturally bend on crossing counts while straight-leg, well it's what it is... straight the whole time, which requires this weird lifting of the thigh-to-hip joint so the foot can clear enough ground for the knee to stay locked on crossing counts. Hate it.

Thanks for clearing it up. It's good to hear what the technique is directly like from a member