Stands or No Stands?

08ThunderBass5

Stands or No Stands?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should drumlines use stands when rehearsing and they are NOT marching?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

No stands. Be a man!

I've had back problems ever since "being a man" and carrying a 3 Octave set of vibes in 1978.

I say use the stands when possible.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to use the right posture or it is gonna hurt in the long run. Use of stands doesn't help anything at all.

Again, the long term pain is from damage to some combination of the vertebrae and inter vertebral discs: those cartilaginous spacers/shock-absorbers between the vertebrae. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervertebral_discs

Use of stands doesn't help anything at all.

Stands merely put off the inevitable stress and strain on the vertebrae & discs from heavy drums. The less heavy the drums, the less strain on the vertebrae & discs.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

If I thought the marching was suffering I'd say no stands, but IMO, there's more marching and movement in the drum line that ever before. Don't see the purpose of going without stands. These kids today deserve a break.

MikeN,

You think these traditionalist would like to see my stand? I think they'd die from shock.

My custom made Dynasty Bass stand

I say use the stands while not learning or marching drill. No sense in destroying your back just to show you're a man/woman.

That's just crazy.

Crash

Edited by Crashphoto

Here's a couple of pictures of the rolling racks we use for parades. Click below for some pictures of them.

Defenders Bass Rack Version 1

Defenders Snare Line Rack

Edited by Flipwest64

Since the line I teach doesn't have the right carriers for their drums (Premier carriers for Pearl drums), I typically have them use stands while learning music, but I spend as much time outside with carriers as I do inside with stands.

• 3 weeks later...

DEFINITELY use stands. maybe not all the time for snares, but everyone else YES

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stands are great for rehearsels. Save your body for awhile when your not moving.

However, I really dont like seeing corps using stands in the "lot". Wear 'em please, I see too many lines who use stands get too relaxed in the "lot". And I mean, at least the snares wear them. Tenors and basses by all means use stands. I hate seeing snare lines using stands.