Stands or No Stands?

08ThunderBass5

Stands or No Stands?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should drumlines use stands when rehearsing and they are NOT marching?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Anytime my group is in pure music sectionals, we go with stands.

Maybe 20 years ago when all tempos were 130 and nobody moved bigger than a 12 to 5, you could just carry all day, but

the high velocity drill and movement demands on todays lines need to keep backs in shape.

We have plenty of marching block and we start this on day 1 so they get plenty of hours of carrying, but over working any muscle is dangerous.

Its sort of like being really "Manly" and over bench pressing for too long. Eventually, it starts to have adverse effects on the muscle groups.

"Back in the day" logic also used to redicule people for taking water breaks or stretching properly.

Dont be fooled by that young guys!

During 8 years in the Marine Corps, I learned the value of hydration and working the right way even if it wasnt as "Macho" as they did it in the 60's.

Groups that are rehearsing 15 hours in the sun cannot go without taking care of themselves the right way.

Take care of your people all the way around. it will yield better performance and minimize injuries.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Groups that are rehearsing 15 hours in the sun cannot go without taking care of themselves the right way.

Oh, I agree 100%.

My criticism is with those drum companies who continue to produce absurdly heavy drums. "Getting in shape" i.e. building up back muscles to tolerate carrying those heavy drums when not on their stands, does not strengthen the vertebrae and the inter-vertebral discs on which those drums ultimately --and continually during field practice-- rest. "Toughening up" ones muscles has zero effect there.

That's the anatomical, heavy-drums-on-stands issue for me. It's why I resolutely refuse to ask any drummer, now, to wreck their backs merely for the sake of a performing arts group: no matter their age or their dedication to it.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Let them use stands when at all possible so they can still march later in life.

I've met several drummers who are not interested at all in marching again due to destroyed lower backs.

Use stands. HOWEVER...

With a young line have them carry a little every practice during the winter to get used to it. Increase the duration gradually over time. Otherwise the first parade or drill day will kill them.

Use the stands when your not marching. Played tenors for years and my back is a mess--not from drum corps perhaps, but dragging a set around didn't help. We used to stack milk crates and rest our drums on those--before technology caught up.

Use the stands when your not marching. Played tenors for years and my back is a mess--not from drum corps perhaps, but dragging a set around didn't help. We used to stack milk crates and rest our drums on those--before technology caught up.

LOL - gabage cans make good bass stands!

Some things about the "good old days" weren't so good....

• 2 weeks later...
My criticism is with those drum companies who continue to produce absurdly heavy drums.

Well the problem is percussion instructors want the drums to sound a certain way, and that leads to heavy drums.

Well the problem is percussion instructors want the drums to sound a certain way, and that leads to heavy drums.

That's true. I hope that technology catches up with weight issue though. Sooner or later, there will be an advance in this area ya gotta think.

I just finished marching with blue saints, and ever since the first day I joined and attended the first rehearsal, we carried the drums all the way. We only have stands if it were a special occasion (practicing with pit or ensemble). Ever since the first day, my back developed good muscles and my shoulders were weak at first from carrying the drums, then it to adapated to the wieght of the drum and now my upper body is a marching machine. But what I didn't learn is that later on, before tour, been developing lower back problems, not simply from the weight of the drums considering I can support it. But from my posture, keep the back straight. I adjusted for the tour and kept my back straight the whole time, my back has been improving and hurts less now. But when I sit down, it cramps up. But i'm a sport lad, so i can have a nice stretch and I would feel new again. Now I can march long parades with out having to worry about back issues, as before at the start of the season, i did have issues and my whole back would hurt.

Where I am getting at is that it's best to use the drums on the shoulders then the stands to develop good muscles in the shoulder and upper back. Got to use the right posture or it is gonna hurt in the long run. Use of stands doesn't help anything at all.

The alumni corps I march with uses stands for practices and performances. We just introduced a rolling bass drum rack and snare rack for parades. Personally I am a traditionalist. I prefer to carry at all times.