Stands or No Stands?

08ThunderBass5

Stands or No Stands?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should drumlines use stands when rehearsing and they are NOT marching?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I was just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this topic.

When rehearsing as a drumline or even just a snare line, or tenor line or bass line, and you are NOT marching (i.e. lots, or warming up at beginning of day) would you rather use stands for your drums or not use stands and just wear the drums? Or do you think some sections should, others shouldn't?

I've heard some say, "Tough it out! Learn to just carry the drum!"

I've also heard the argument that by giving the group a break in an "arched up" setting, they have more energy once they get on the move.

I personally think it is important to note that there is a BIG weight difference between a snare drum and a set of tenors (or a 32" bottom bass drum).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demand in some of these corps is causing major injuries, and the more time these athletes get a load off....GIVE IT TO THEM!

I'm all for stands off when not mobile. It does make a difference in how much energy the line will have when moving. The winter and spring is meant for conditioning and building strength, so there should be no problems throughout the summer to have a relaxed rehearsal on the stands.

Being a tenor player, at the end of the day, having that time on stands makes a HUGE difference on how your body feels or will operate later on.

Absolutely should use stands if non mobile for 15min or more.

Absolutely should use stands if non mobile for 15min or more.

2nd'd

If we're in sectionals or full ensemble in the arc and working music segs for 20-30 min+ without visual reps then it's stands all the way (for quads and basses at the least). A bigger problem we have is finding funding so EVEYONE can have a stand ;-)

2nd'd

If we're in sectionals or full ensemble in the arc and working music segs for 20-30 min+ without visual reps then it's stands all the way (for quads and basses at the least). A bigger problem we have is finding funding so EVEYONE can have a stand ;-)

Definately use the stands. When I marched stands were just starting to come out and my corps did not have them. Read my thread about 'my aching back' and you see why I support stands for drumlines as much as possible.

When we're inside or at a camp, we generally use stands, but when we're in the lot, we'll use stands for our first rehearsal block, and no stands for the block prior to going on, at least for basses.

There was a time when any corps drum line caught using drum stands would have been laughed out of the parking lot.

Except for Dynasty, with their 'Wedge' snares and 'Squint' tenors, if the other drum companies would design lighter weight drums than their current models [which are absurdly heavy, particularly the tenors] the issue would be moot.

The virtual necessity of drum stands is yet another reason why Drum Corps has become so damnably expensive... which, in large part, is why SO many corps have disappeared.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Now that some other people have posted I guess I'll toss out my opinion.

I basically agree with the majority here and I think that if you are rehearsing in an arch (not on the move) for more then just a quick warm-up then I think you should be on stands. Why? Because I am all about rehearsing "smarter not harder". The members are pulling 12 hour days (during all days anyways) and are getting worked SO hard! They aren't getting a lot of sleep at night. To me it doesn't make sense NOT to use stands whenever you could. By giving them this little break from wearing their drums (especially tenors/bottom 2 basses) they are going to have so much more energy once they get on the field and start doing drill. You can pull the "tough it out, be a man card" but really, if you look at some of the best world class drumlines, a lot of them do use stands when they aren't on the move. To me, it just makes sense.