Stands or No Stands?

08ThunderBass5

Stands or No Stands?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should drumlines use stands when rehearsing and they are NOT marching?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I never had the opportunity to use stands so it is hard for me to see these groups with stands all the time. It seems that most people think while learning notes in the winter and such that stands are OK, and I agree. I do however think that some lines are using them too often. Taking stands to the zone before a show is over the top IMHO.

I also think that with all the body movement coming into drumming that stands don't allow you to get the full feel for where the drum is going, how the player needs to adjust when the drum is whipping all over the place and you are no longer hitting on the sweet spot of the drum because you have cranked it around your body 5 times for some cool visual thing.................

It is a tough topic for me........but these days I would last 10 mins without one LOL!!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can play it clean on stands, than you will definitely be able to play it clean wearin' em. that's a fact. besides, when else can you work on your "even tan"!

if you can play it clean on stands, than you will definitely be able to play it clean wearin' em. that's a fact. besides, when else can you work on your "even tan"!

I think it's the other way around.

Toronto? Do I know you?

I voted yes:

Back surgery in 1997, due in part to a lifetime of carrying a drum.

Most of that lifetime was before the drums became so heavy.

Whatever corps can do to protect the physical health of their members is what is most important.

• 3 weeks later...
I think it's the other way around.

Toronto? Do I know you?

perhaps you've misunderstood me. if you can play clean on stands, not being able to feel the notes throughout your body, essentially detached from your instrument, than naturally and logically, when your wearin' em and feeling every little grace note you should be able to play clean. am i explaining this right? tell me if i'm making sense, honestly, 'cause i'm truly not sure if i am.

this is how it was explained to me. and we would never have a harness tan...ever!

Edited by zeezoh

• 3 months later...
I was just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this topic.

When rehearsing as a drumline or even just a snare line, or tenor line or bass line, and you are NOT marching (i.e. lots, or warming up at beginning of day) would you rather use stands for your drums or not use stands and just wear the drums? Or do you think some sections should, others shouldn't?

I've heard some say, "Tough it out! Learn to just carry the drum!"

I've also heard the argument that by giving the group a break in an "arched up" setting, they have more energy once they get on the move.

I personally think it is important to note that there is a BIG weight difference between a snare drum and a set of tenors (or a 32" bottom bass drum).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think they should. I mean, just because they are not doing a show doesn't mean that they get a break! They have special times for that.

All right, It's decided then!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::thumbup::tongue:

Those harness stripes were a badge of pride...

Having worn a drum for 30 years straight from slings to harnesses I don' t think i would've minded playing on a stand. I don't think it's a big deal unless your posture is compromised, tan lines made me look more cut though :smile:. That you definitely will be clean with the drum on if you're clean on a stand makes no sense, you don't move when you're playing on a stand.

Edited by Fastone

A bigger problem we have is finding funding so EVEYONE can have a stand ;-)

If you have money problems, go to Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart or buy some of the large plastic 50 gallon garbage cans. Great for putting Bass and Tenors on. A lot cheaper than stands, but harder to carry around and out to the practice field.......