Dome Sweet Dome

What a great couple of days of drum corps... :devil: Houston was fun and I got a chance to hang with my current/ex-students marching and Saturday was a blast and MAN DRUM CORPS HAS GOTTEN GOOD!!

Couple of notes befroe the review--- DCI, when dealing with a show in San Antonio that does not give a dinner break, and whose concessions are run by a private vendor, please TALK TO THEM AND TELL THEM TO EXPECT DOUBLE THE NORMAL SALES!!!! Wife and I went to get a pizza, 'cause the Dome food sucks and the only entree items you can get was hotdog, burger and pizza and they were out of pizza by 8:00!!!! :shutup::shutup::worthy:

Secondly, I hate the new format and the way they did Houston and Dallas this year... I think the concept of the two show combined thing is good, but for goodness sake, mix up the west coast/east coast corps on the two nights prior to the SA show... Secondly, I feel it is not cool to have a 1 long show event for the SA show... I felt bad for the corps 18-21 as you're basically announced to the world that you're last place! Yes I know its a competition..... but it was great with the old afternoon format because you got to have the bottom/middle tier go at each other and then got to see a Finals that night. Would have love to have seen a Finals that would've included the Troopers and so would the crowd, instead they just got the placement and the recognotion didn't seem as big! Plus, a lot of those middle tier matchups would have switched and been interesting to watch in a finals setting! Anyway, off the soap box and on to more important stuff----The Dome Sweet Dome Review----

Wife and I sat at the 40 yard line side 1, row 23... Missed Revo, made it back from Houston about 2:30 and was running a little late...

Cascades:

I missed the Cascades tonight but saw them in Houston, I will give some comments from H-town and say I think the corps is going to get better and better but they seem to be struggling their first year back... 40 or so in the hornline and they are trying to sound twice as big which creates much distortion and tone issues.. Good theme, easy to follow, and nice to see them back...

Pioneer:

I think Pioneer will most definitely not be last this year and they have a most enjoyable program... Good step up in quality from the past couple of years, but I find this show to be very choppy and especially the end... Some nice things though they tend to lose control of their sound at times as well... Fun show, crowd like them..

Mandarins:

Please turn down the Bass!!!! U have a great hornline and it got ruined tonight because of the synth! Love the music to this show, visually it is just ok... I feel that the theme gets lost and doesn't get sold especially visually... With that sai, this is the besty Mandarins ever and is an outstanding corps to be sitting in 19th place this year!!

Pac Crest:

Hornline had some really nice moments.... Opener has too many short stabby snipets and doesn't seem to go anywhere... I think they are a little better than Mandarins, but found the Mandarins much more intruiging this year... I also dislike the new unis, it's as if someone went to a bando catalogue and ordered it off page 22... Overall they perform well and as good as I've seen them in quite some time!

Crossmen:

Does anyone else think of Count Chocula?? LOL, just kidding... Ok, they got the home town response, and it was great to see them and my former kiddo marching... I feel this ws much better than the last time I saw them in SA before they left, but still feel the design is just not up to par... They have the talent/skill, but the vehicle is not there.... THe capes remind me of something you'd see in a marching band show from the mid 80's. I understand it in protraying the theme, but they just get old.... I feel the musical arrangement are too easy and not up to the level of those that are vying for finals around them... They do sound good and have a great drummline, but I do not see this show going above 14... Just too many good corps this year for them to advance much higher...

Spirit:

I missed them to go to the lot and watch BK warm-up/sorry, hear good things and wish them best oof luck..

Academy:

For the next three shows I'll give my impressions based off Friday night in Houston, 'cause as I said I was outside during this time... On Friday I thought Academy is the best they've been in their short history... Very pwerful though I think they can do just a tad less with volume in the beignning so that they have more to give in the end.... Seems like hornline loses it's quality due to fatigue at the end of the show.. Like the theme, very solid show, maybe not quite up to the levels of Troop and Colts...

Madison:

I hate the "Snuggy" Robes... They look like they are about to go and take a bath and then they take them off and I can't help think... Put Them Back On!!!! I'm joking, but not. I really feel like the guard while decent this year is the reason this corps is not going to make finals... It is a show about Superheros, yet they have a guard that kisses their guns/muscles and they are skinny/scrawny and have no guns... It just dosn't fit the image. The hornline sounds good although maybe not quite as good as last year's but hard to remember... Drummline is good, but the visual side of things is still sloppy. Drill design I think is ok, but just not clean. All in all I think they'll end up 14th come finals week...

Troopers:

Love this show, love their sound and love that they with every time they compete are seemigly growing in confidence!! I really feel these guys are the story of DCI and that is saying something because of the great corps and stories on the field this year! I was already a Troopers supporter as most of the staff that taught me in BK was ex-troop but now I am even more a fan... Great programming and I actually like the refreshing music book and the way it is intertwined with Billy the Kid.... Great stuff, feel like the drill is solid and it's great to see them develop a good colorguard which was the missing link a year ago... Overall WEll Done.... TROOOOOOOOP!!! I am betting they will be 12th come Indy!!

Colts:

Great intro by the brass, very mature sounds.... Theme is very well constucted, effects fit the bill. I feel like the Opener drill is the weak link for these guys. The stay between the 40's and in the front field the entire opener it seems like and are very pedestrian when they move... The drill picks up the back half of th show, but the Vis. design may cost them a finals placement come Indy, could end up 12th though.... I feel it is going to be a two horse race for 12th with Colts and Troopers.. Best of luck to both.

Glassmen: Had to watch from the front of the tunnel which wasn't a bad perspective.. Drummline is good this year.. Brass has moments of greatness, but then sounds shrill/out of tune.. (high brass) Felt like the dril is safe and simple and didn't really care for the show/theme? I did like the music choices, but other than the flags that have the 1 on them I'm not sure how the show depicts that theme? Anyway, they were given a gift last night which I bet will be lost in the coming shows, they should be 11th or even 12th come finals...

Blue Knights:

They got hosed, plain and simple!! I an see them in 10th right now because tthey have not been in the competitive mix like the G-men, BAC and Bsatrs... But 11th? hmmm... I thought they had a great show last night, felt like the opener was much better than Houston and they had good energy the entire show... This drill in crazy and is tougher in design than Boston, Phantom and Glassmen for sure!! They are beginning to execute, but they still have to get that persona of "take that!!" That little bit of swagger is not there just yet, but going head to head more often with the corps around them will help that... They have been stuck in competitive limbo for the first half of the season and I think that now you'll start to see them rise.. This is a great show and the corps has no real weaknesses. They just need to clean clean clean.. The ballad needs more emotion and there is a part that has too many moving lines and as a result the melody gets lost... I feel musically the ballad is the weakest right now but expect with some small rewrites/work it will sparkle soon enough... I see them being anywher from 8-10 come finals night... Best BK show since 2000 imho!!

Boston- Wow are they clean.... is that a good thing for July 18th? They have the best corps since the America show of '01 maybe? Anyway musically I love this program but visual design is lacking... It is obvious following BK that the drill is much more simle and safe, but it's much cleaner. They sell there theme well and it is a crowd pleasing show.. Brass, drums and guard are all very good. Nothing wrong with Boston this year, but I feel they are not going to be able to add, clean much more than they are right now... They will peak to early I am afraid... Watch for BK to close the gap on them once they clean up some more...

Phantom- I was not impressed to say the least... The drill is horrendous! Much easier than BK and Boston... The hornline is good and the drummline is stellar, but the theme of the show is just cheesy!! I feel as though I am watching a bad HS drill and think that this Phantom show is worse than the offerings they had back in the late 90's that cost them placement... I really found myself wondering if having the talent they have in the hornline/drummline is going to be good enough? I think they should end up 10th, but doubt DCI would allow that.... Look for them to be 8th, maybe 9th come finals, but 10th could be realistic!

Blue Stars-

Phantom Regiment?? Nope I rubbed my eyes and it indeed was the Blue Stars... Wow, I liked them a lot... A step up in design from Boston and Phantom for sure... I feel the theme is well done, but they don't really portray a vital part of the WWII factory theme... When WWII stated the Women went to work in the factory and we don't see that in this show, I feel like that is big pasrt of the whole theme that could be easy to do... Anyway, I agree that the opnere and ballad are stellar and the closer is just kinda meh! I love the sound of the brass, but the drummline book is not well written. I think they could catch Bluecaost, but the closer and the drummline will hold them back... Look for 6- 9 come finals..

Bluecoats-

Not very impressed with this show live, and neither was my wife... i feel like the judges are just making up GE numbers, 'cause I don't think this theme sells at all. The drill is not great and they stand and play way too much... If the BStars can fix their closer they might catch the Bluecoats!!! Great talent, well played music book.. 6-7 come finals..

SCV-

Fans favorite, throwback show, great music, INCREDIBLE BRASS!! That said I still feel the way I felt the first show I saw on FN... They just do not have a visual design/drill to match the emotion portrayed in the music.. The company front is great and so is the hold following it, but it is not in the same caliber as the top 4... I will ove listening to the CD's of SCV this year, but won't be watching this show on the DVD's... Look for 5th/6th come finals.

Crown- OMG!!! I feel like they are being held back for a spectacular finish... This might be the DCI CHampion this year... I kept thinking to myself that this show reminds me of Star of Indiana and it makes sense with whose on the staff. I think it is out there, but I love that... The drill is great and challenging and I had chills listening to the brassline play.... The company front that returns at the end of the show to mirror the pre-show is FANTASTIC!!!! Ladies and Gentleman, I would not expect to see them in 4th come finals, NO WAY!!! 1st or 2nd come finals...

HN Cadets-

George Hopkins- Thank you for allowing the Cadets to return... It is great to see a straight forward, kick butt show from you guys again!!! Thank you, thank you thank you!! With that said, I feel like this is the best visual design in DCI this year... Man they move... I feel like musically they could be doing more with West Side Story... There is not enough dynamic and emotion because the show is so loud all the time... I feel like the storyline of the show is not being protrayed as good as it could be, but it is great drum corps and they have a phenominal show... I would say they finish 3-4 come finals...

Cavaliers-

Good theme, good show, brass, guard, drums all top notch... Good enough to win it all? I don't think so... Something is missing in this show.. It really is quite creative, but the drill does not have that Wow moment that we;vew become accostumed to... I think the music is greta, but I do not see them beating Crown and BD in the end!! I really enjoy this show and hope that they will add more crazy drill to the end of the show as it kinda just ends and I feel like thats it?? Look for them to be 3-4 come finals...

BD-

Man I love this show this year... The use of the chairs I feel is very well done and adds to the theme very well... I feel the music is the best in DCI this year, and that's saying something... The drill is very effective and that guars is stellar... I didn't feel the drummline had a good night last noght compared to the Houston show, that being said they are phenominal... Brass has a bright sound this year but it is pwerful and good... I think they are very clean and that is the only thing that worries me about them being the front runner for this long.... Can they hold off, Crown, Cadets, and Cavaliers? ...... I am not sure, but they well could... Look for no olwer than 2nd come finals and they well could be the champs this year...

I would have had the placements like this:

1) BD

2) Crown

3) HN Cadets

4) Cavaliers

5) SCV

6) Blue Stars

7) Bluecoats

8) Boston

9) BK

10) Phantom

11) Glassmen

12) Troopers

13) Colts

14) Madison

15) Academy

16) Crossmen

17) Spirit

18) Pac Crest

19) Mandarins

20) Pioneer

21) Cascades

Great show, the best quality drum corps I have ever seen live top to bottom, what a phenominal year!!! Look for crazy placement switching going on to the end of the season... Everyone is good and you could have any 1 of 4 corps that could win it all! Good luck to all!

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98

Great review Wes! Glad you enjoyed Crown.

Hope all is well!!! :whistle:

Great review. Right with you on almost everthing except Blue Devils. I hope the judges stop giving them undeserved visual score. It is the least challenging show of the top 8. But you hit the nail on the head with the rest of your review. Thanks for posting.

Great review. Right with you on almost everthing except Blue Devils. I hope the judges stop giving them undeserved visual score. It is the least challenging show of the top 8. But you hit the nail on the head with the rest of your review. Thanks for posting.

Agreed. However, I personally think The Cadets might come up with something... :)

but that's just me.

Really well done review, thanks.

Very good review. Nice read.

no surprise there. no gift better execution!

Edited by Silver_King

What a great couple of days of drum corps... :doh: Houston was fun and I got a chance to hang with my current/ex-students marching and Saturday was a blast and MAN DRUM CORPS HAS GOTTEN GOOD!!

Couple of notes befroe the review--- DCI, when dealing with a show in San Antonio that does not give a dinner break, and whose concessions are run by a private vendor, please TALK TO THEM AND TELL THEM TO EXPECT DOUBLE THE NORMAL SALES!!!! Wife and I went to get a pizza, 'cause the Dome food sucks and the only entree items you can get was hotdog, burger and pizza and they were out of pizza by 8:00!!!! :worthy::doh::worthy:

Secondly, I hate the new format and the way they did Houston and Dallas this year... I think the concept of the two show combined thing is good, but for goodness sake, mix up the west coast/east coast corps on the two nights prior to the SA show... Secondly, I feel it is not cool to have a 1 long show event for the SA show... I felt bad for the corps 18-21 as you're basically announced to the world that you're last place! Yes I know its a competition..... but it was great with the old afternoon format because you got to have the bottom/middle tier go at each other and then got to see a Finals that night. Would have love to have seen a Finals that would've included the Troopers and so would the crowd, instead they just got the placement and the recognotion didn't seem as big! Plus, a lot of those middle tier matchups would have switched and been interesting to watch in a finals setting! Anyway, off the soap box and on to more important stuff----The Dome Sweet Dome Review----

Wife and I sat at the 40 yard line side 1, row 23... Missed Revo, made it back from Houston about 2:30 and was running a little late...

Cascades:

I missed the Cascades tonight but saw them in Houston, I will give some comments from H-town and say I think the corps is going to get better and better but they seem to be struggling their first year back... 40 or so in the hornline and they are trying to sound twice as big which creates much distortion and tone issues.. Good theme, easy to follow, and nice to see them back...

Pioneer:

I think Pioneer will most definitely not be last this year and they have a most enjoyable program... Good step up in quality from the past couple of years, but I find this show to be very choppy and especially the end... Some nice things though they tend to lose control of their sound at times as well... Fun show, crowd like them..

Mandarins:

Please turn down the Bass!!!! U have a great hornline and it got ruined tonight because of the synth! Love the music to this show, visually it is just ok... I feel that the theme gets lost and doesn't get sold especially visually... With that sai, this is the besty Mandarins ever and is an outstanding corps to be sitting in 19th place this year!!

Pac Crest:

Hornline had some really nice moments.... Opener has too many short stabby snipets and doesn't seem to go anywhere... I think they are a little better than Mandarins, but found the Mandarins much more intruiging this year... I also dislike the new unis, it's as if someone went to a bando catalogue and ordered it off page 22... Overall they perform well and as good as I've seen them in quite some time!

Crossmen:

Does anyone else think of Count Chocula?? LOL, just kidding... Ok, they got the home town response, and it was great to see them and my former kiddo marching... I feel this ws much better than the last time I saw them in SA before they left, but still feel the design is just not up to par... They have the talent/skill, but the vehicle is not there.... THe capes remind me of something you'd see in a marching band show from the mid 80's. I understand it in protraying the theme, but they just get old.... I feel the musical arrangement are too easy and not up to the level of those that are vying for finals around them... They do sound good and have a great drummline, but I do not see this show going above 14... Just too many good corps this year for them to advance much higher...

Spirit:

I missed them to go to the lot and watch BK warm-up/sorry, hear good things and wish them best oof luck..

Academy:

For the next three shows I'll give my impressions based off Friday night in Houston, 'cause as I said I was outside during this time... On Friday I thought Academy is the best they've been in their short history... Very pwerful though I think they can do just a tad less with volume in the beignning so that they have more to give in the end.... Seems like hornline loses it's quality due to fatigue at the end of the show.. Like the theme, very solid show, maybe not quite up to the levels of Troop and Colts...

Madison:

I hate the "Snuggy" Robes... They look like they are about to go and take a bath and then they take them off and I can't help think... Put Them Back On!!!! I'm joking, but not. I really feel like the guard while decent this year is the reason this corps is not going to make finals... It is a show about Superheros, yet they have a guard that kisses their guns/muscles and they are skinny/scrawny and have no guns... It just dosn't fit the image. The hornline sounds good although maybe not quite as good as last year's but hard to remember... Drummline is good, but the visual side of things is still sloppy. Drill design I think is ok, but just not clean. All in all I think they'll end up 14th come finals week...

Troopers:

Love this show, love their sound and love that they with every time they compete are seemigly growing in confidence!! I really feel these guys are the story of DCI and that is saying something because of the great corps and stories on the field this year! I was already a Troopers supporter as most of the staff that taught me in BK was ex-troop but now I am even more a fan... Great programming and I actually like the refreshing music book and the way it is intertwined with Billy the Kid.... Great stuff, feel like the drill is solid and it's great to see them develop a good colorguard which was the missing link a year ago... Overall WEll Done.... TROOOOOOOOP!!! I am betting they will be 12th come Indy!!

Colts:

Great intro by the brass, very mature sounds.... Theme is very well constucted, effects fit the bill. I feel like the Opener drill is the weak link for these guys. The stay between the 40's and in the front field the entire opener it seems like and are very pedestrian when they move... The drill picks up the back half of th show, but the Vis. design may cost them a finals placement come Indy, could end up 12th though.... I feel it is going to be a two horse race for 12th with Colts and Troopers.. Best of luck to both.

Glassmen: Had to watch from the front of the tunnel which wasn't a bad perspective.. Drummline is good this year.. Brass has moments of greatness, but then sounds shrill/out of tune.. (high brass) Felt like the dril is safe and simple and didn't really care for the show/theme? I did like the music choices, but other than the flags that have the 1 on them I'm not sure how the show depicts that theme? Anyway, they were given a gift last night which I bet will be lost in the coming shows, they should be 11th or even 12th come finals...

Blue Knights:

They got hosed, plain and simple!! I an see them in 10th right now because tthey have not been in the competitive mix like the G-men, BAC and Bsatrs... But 11th? hmmm... I thought they had a great show last night, felt like the opener was much better than Houston and they had good energy the entire show... This drill in crazy and is tougher in design than Boston, Phantom and Glassmen for sure!! They are beginning to execute, but they still have to get that persona of "take that!!" That little bit of swagger is not there just yet, but going head to head more often with the corps around them will help that... They have been stuck in competitive limbo for the first half of the season and I think that now you'll start to see them rise.. This is a great show and the corps has no real weaknesses. They just need to clean clean clean.. The ballad needs more emotion and there is a part that has too many moving lines and as a result the melody gets lost... I feel musically the ballad is the weakest right now but expect with some small rewrites/work it will sparkle soon enough... I see them being anywher from 8-10 come finals night... Best BK show since 2000 imho!!

Boston- Wow are they clean.... is that a good thing for July 18th? They have the best corps since the America show of '01 maybe? Anyway musically I love this program but visual design is lacking... It is obvious following BK that the drill is much more simle and safe, but it's much cleaner. They sell there theme well and it is a crowd pleasing show.. Brass, drums and guard are all very good. Nothing wrong with Boston this year, but I feel they are not going to be able to add, clean much more than they are right now... They will peak to early I am afraid... Watch for BK to close the gap on them once they clean up some more...

Phantom- I was not impressed to say the least... The drill is horrendous! Much easier than BK and Boston... The hornline is good and the drummline is stellar, but the theme of the show is just cheesy!! I feel as though I am watching a bad HS drill and think that this Phantom show is worse than the offerings they had back in the late 90's that cost them placement... I really found myself wondering if having the talent they have in the hornline/drummline is going to be good enough? I think they should end up 10th, but doubt DCI would allow that.... Look for them to be 8th, maybe 9th come finals, but 10th could be realistic!

Blue Stars-

Phantom Regiment?? Nope I rubbed my eyes and it indeed was the Blue Stars... Wow, I liked them a lot... A step up in design from Boston and Phantom for sure... I feel the theme is well done, but they don't really portray a vital part of the WWII factory theme... When WWII stated the Women went to work in the factory and we don't see that in this show, I feel like that is big pasrt of the whole theme that could be easy to do... Anyway, I agree that the opnere and ballad are stellar and the closer is just kinda meh! I love the sound of the brass, but the drummline book is not well written. I think they could catch Bluecaost, but the closer and the drummline will hold them back... Look for 6- 9 come finals..

Bluecoats-

Not very impressed with this show live, and neither was my wife... i feel like the judges are just making up GE numbers, 'cause I don't think this theme sells at all. The drill is not great and they stand and play way too much... If the BStars can fix their closer they might catch the Bluecoats!!! Great talent, well played music book.. 6-7 come finals..

SCV-

Fans favorite, throwback show, great music, INCREDIBLE BRASS!! That said I still feel the way I felt the first show I saw on FN... They just do not have a visual design/drill to match the emotion portrayed in the music.. The company front is great and so is the hold following it, but it is not in the same caliber as the top 4... I will ove listening to the CD's of SCV this year, but won't be watching this show on the DVD's... Look for 5th/6th come finals.

Crown- OMG!!! I feel like they are being held back for a spectacular finish... This might be the DCI CHampion this year... I kept thinking to myself that this show reminds me of Star of Indiana and it makes sense with whose on the staff. I think it is out there, but I love that... The drill is great and challenging and I had chills listening to the brassline play.... The company front that returns at the end of the show to mirror the pre-show is FANTASTIC!!!! Ladies and Gentleman, I would not expect to see them in 4th come finals, NO WAY!!! 1st or 2nd come finals...

HN Cadets-

George Hopkins- Thank you for allowing the Cadets to return... It is great to see a straight forward, kick butt show from you guys again!!! Thank you, thank you thank you!! With that said, I feel like this is the best visual design in DCI this year... Man they move... I feel like musically they could be doing more with West Side Story... There is not enough dynamic and emotion because the show is so loud all the time... I feel like the storyline of the show is not being protrayed as good as it could be, but it is great drum corps and they have a phenominal show... I would say they finish 3-4 come finals...

Cavaliers-

Good theme, good show, brass, guard, drums all top notch... Good enough to win it all? I don't think so... Something is missing in this show.. It really is quite creative, but the drill does not have that Wow moment that we;vew become accostumed to... I think the music is greta, but I do not see them beating Crown and BD in the end!! I really enjoy this show and hope that they will add more crazy drill to the end of the show as it kinda just ends and I feel like thats it?? Look for them to be 3-4 come finals...

BD-

Man I love this show this year... The use of the chairs I feel is very well done and adds to the theme very well... I feel the music is the best in DCI this year, and that's saying something... The drill is very effective and that guars is stellar... I didn't feel the drummline had a good night last noght compared to the Houston show, that being said they are phenominal... Brass has a bright sound this year but it is pwerful and good... I think they are very clean and that is the only thing that worries me about them being the front runner for this long.... Can they hold off, Crown, Cadets, and Cavaliers? ...... I am not sure, but they well could... Look for no olwer than 2nd come finals and they well could be the champs this year...

I would have had the placements like this:

1) BD

2) Crown

3) HN Cadets

4) Cavaliers

5) SCV

6) Blue Stars

7) Bluecoats

8) Boston

9) BK

10) Phantom

11) Glassmen

12) Troopers

13) Colts

14) Madison

15) Academy

16) Crossmen

17) Spirit

18) Pac Crest

19) Mandarins

20) Pioneer

21) Cascades

Great show, the best quality drum corps I have ever seen live top to bottom, what a phenominal year!!! Look for crazy placement switching going on to the end of the season... Everyone is good and you could have any 1 of 4 corps that could win it all! Good luck to all!

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98

Thank you for your review :)

I noticed Crown was the only one who got an OMG!!! from you.

Let me ask you a question.....will you be disappointed if Crown finishes 4th? Too close to call right now but with BD, Cavaliers, and HNC going the way they are there just may not be enough room at the top.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Thank you for your review :)

I noticed Crown was the only one who got an OMG!!! from you.

Let me ask you a question.....will you be disappointed if Crown finishes 4th? Too close to call right now but with BD, Cavaliers, and HNC going the way they are there just may not be enough room at the top.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

OUCH ...lol....and the claws come out.........FLAME