Denton, TX

Volunteered tonight at the show. This is my 4th year in a row to do so, along with my wife. (I was the crazy guy running up and down the stadium stairs selling 50-50 tickets).

Anyway, I too, really enjoyed the show tonight. It's a great venue and you really can see the forms from way up high (something you can't see at the Dallas show). And the show seems a lot better here than in Dallas-Lake Highlands.

Just to update you all on some things that happened tonight.

The bus driver from the Troopers started bleeding profusely from his leg. Not sure what condition he had, but an ambulance was called and he went to the hospital to stay overnight. Someone said when he was in the bathroom, there was so much blood in there, it looked like someone slaughtered an animal. The driver then walked back to the Trooper buses and he left a very sizeable blood trail. So, at the time I left the stadium, the Troopers were still looking for a CDL driver to take the Troop to Oklahoma. I did overhear someone that owned a private gym offer to let the Troopers stay there if they couldn't find a driver. But this gym has only one shower.

The past few days the Troopers have been having housing problems with schools backing out last minute. The Troop was supposed to have stayed in the Metroplex tonight and were going to have the day off tomorrow to enjoy the city. They also don't have their Atlanta housing secured (along with a few other corps I hear). Why is housing so difficult to secure these past few years?

The other news from tonight was the possiblity that this would be the last Denton show for the Cavies. The two shows in Dallas really took a bite out of ticket sales this year. (The economy could also have had an effect) The previous 3 years, this show made a good profit for the Cavies, but this year didn't look good and they may have taken a loss. When the schedule came out for 2009, one of the organizers for the Denton show called DCI to inquire what was up with the 2 Dallas shows. He was concerned for the Denton show and how it would be affected financially by having 2 Dallas shows. He told me that the person he talked to at DCI basically told him to tough it out because the Lake Highlands people were being rewarded with two shows because of their 31 year commitment to the activity. He then said, "What about the 60 plus years of commitment by the Cavies?" Of course he didn't get a response to that.

I just don't get why DCI would jepordize a great show and fabulous venue by cannibalizing it so that an inferior venue could reap the benefits of having 2 shows. Politics is alive and well at DCI HQ.

I know that it is important to keep all shows alive, and nobody wants this show to die (and I am certain DCI does not want it to die). But DCI has a job to do, and the Cavaliers already have two shows in the Chicagoland region. If push came to shove, DCI would put more weight behind the Lake Highlands show because that coupled with Houston are like mini-regionals, and San Antonio being a true regional.

Having said that, DCI wants all these shows to succeed, I am sure of it. To me, it's a no brainer. Why not have 3 shows in the Dallas region instead of two, or one? I think a metro of that size can support 3 DCI shows, and it should be able to. So I believe the economy is likely a reason seats were not filled this year. Keep in mind they were not filled for the second night of Lake Highland, and Houston also seemed less packed. It is a sign of the times.

In the future, however, I see this working. When the economy picks up, having 3 shows in the Dallas region will be nice. I know I would be attending at least two of the three, if not all three every year. If you were not attending San Antonio, and you were not going to finals or elsewhere, those 3 shows would be it. Not a bad 3 nights either.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I help run The Cavaliers' Twitter and Facebook accounts - These were my favorite moments of the evening in Denton, TX:

15819954.jpg

zss.jpg

vy3d.jpg

What a special night for both corps to interact together! Congratulations Holy Name on 75 Years!

THE Best Moment, personally, was the quick interview with Bruno Zuccala about the occasion:

http://tmic.fm/ot99vjnjkbv

(PS - Thanks for all the positive feedback!)

If you count an exhibition show in Wyoming the next night after their performances in Windsor and Denver before traveling to Kansas to start the seven, then it's 10 straight.

Was the exhibition show a standstill, or a full run?

Haha - actually, it's not me. But it is in honor of ApathyJones, who thinks all band moms should shut up and just make cupcakes. :unsure:

Hahaha! Nice. I was involved in that feed when he made the comment! Excellent response Madam! :whistle:

NOW THIS IS THE BEST RESPONSE THAT I HAVE EVER HEARD ON THIS BOARD. WE ALL WANT OUR KIDS TO WIN BUT WE CAN ALSO APPRECIATE THE OTHERS. BECAUSE AFTER ALL WE LOVE WHAT OUR KIDS DO AND EACH AND EVER ONE OF THEM NO MATTER WHAT CORP THEY MARCH, THEY WORK THERE BUTTS OFF. :whistle:

:unsure: You are absolutely right. And I am guilty of classless posts on here. We need to be reminded of what all of this is really about. Mad props to Cavies for the Cadet cake. The epitome of a class act!

Was the exhibition show a standstill, or a full run?

Full run.

I help run The Cavaliers' Twitter and Facebook accounts - These were my favorite moments of the evening in Denton, TX:

15819954.jpg

zss.jpg

vy3d.jpg

What a special night for both corps to interact together! Congratulations Holy Name on 75 Years!

THE Best Moment, personally, was the quick interview with Bruno Zuccala about the occasion:

http://tmic.fm/ot99vjnjkbv

(PS - Thanks for all the positive feedback!)

This makes me smile! :whistle:

Keep in mind they were not filled for the second night of Lake Highland, and Houston also seemed less packed. It is a sign of the times.

Economy or no economy issues, $30 a ticket in Dallas is a tough pill to swallow. I am sure that insetad of having everyone turn out for both nights, people had to choose which show to attend.

I love drum corps, but $120 for two to see two nights of drum corps is a lot to ask (especially in a venue that is everything but fan friendly). For years the Dallas DCI shows have been supported and attended by high school band groups - Often kids that have never seen drum corps previously. I know times change, but you used to get seats at this show for $10-$15. The increase can be expected, but it's no longer an inexpensive night out of entertainment.

Throw three shows in a small area over a 4 day span and it will make it tough to fill seats. Now if we had multiple shows spanning a couple of weeks or a month apart (like the good old days of DCM!) we might have a better shot.

I agree Scott.

I am surprised the Lake Highlands folks did not offer up a "super pak" for two nights of drum corps. I walked in to the stadim and sat in a premium seat on Friday night. I thought I would be kicked out when the ticket holder got back from a break, but know one showed up. Asked the people around me if the seats were taken and they implied they had not seen anyone.

The bleacher section was wide open.

Denton may need to figure out a way to advertise that show. Other than the DCI website I saw nothing in the local Denton paper about it, on TV or any other media. Ryan High School Band is the group that supports that program. They may need to do more advertising themselves to fill the seats. Or as suggested, lower the ticket price.