Jersey Surf's 2nd Tour

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surf has a touring model and they're sticking with it. DCI could use more corps like Jersey Surf.

What will help is they had a few days of all days to get the kids back in the flow. that should help a lot!

First I'm glad to finally see serf up in D1/world class... Hope they do well...

To everyone they happen to beat... it will seem unfair ala PC 03 Academy 07.... I'm not going to say if it is or isn't fair...

I just remember marching in 07 and thinking my corps could have almost made finals too if we stayed home, got a constant 8 hours of sleep on the floor or even a bed for nearly a month while other corps hit shows.

To me... it seemed kind of lame to not do the tour... if it was a money thing.... then wait a year to save up the money and then hit D1 you know.

Everyone that has marched wishes for full rehearsal days to get better mid season, but the tour schedule doesn't really allow for that. So while corps like Pioneer, Troop, Mandarins, and KK started the season on time and received low scores that effected their avg which effect when they used to perform for regionals... while corps that start much later start with higher scores and nearly no low scores, giving them a much higher average. IE Academy 07 (don't get me wrong loved the show they deserved everything they got)

My only beef is being able to be a D1 or World Class Corps without doing all of the regional/big shows and no really touring around.

Heck I remember 1st tour being all the West Coast show and seeing Troop and BK the entire way. Second tour being the road to Nats but still full of shows, and the time in between being 4 days if we were lucky. But we still hit every major show until DCI started the split Regional thing...

So all that aside I hope serf does well this upcoming second tour and keep that good momentum going into next season. I hope to see them do a full tour just like Academy and other corps did their 2nd year out...

Just my two cent...

Also, any Academy fans out there... didn't mean to offend... Just called it the way I felt while competing with them... but they did deserve to be in the position they were in... great great great show that year....

It's a Pacific Crest '03 Redux. We had this heated discussion 6 years ago about Crest and their limited tour schedule.

This was also re-hashed ad-naseum a few years ago for Academy, which was a re-hash of the PC model.

Whatever works for each corps is what is "fair". Like it or not, each corps has they own unique circumstances they need to operate under in order to be successful according to their own constraints and restrictions.

Hope they do as well as their system allows them to be!

if anything, surf is at a disadvantage because of their schedule giving them drastically less rehearsal time than the full touring corps. i don't see how it's unfair to the other groups. but anyway, GO SURF!

if anything, surf is at a disadvantage because of their schedule giving them drastically less rehearsal time than the full touring corps. i don't see how it's unfair to the other groups. but anyway, GO SURF!

Didn't really mention serfs touring schedule since i didn't know it... I just gave my impression from competing against a corps that skips a regional....

As mentioned before tho I hope they do well enough to be able to do a full tour next season.