And the Winner Will Be…

Cadets to win? Hm, well if Granny wants to step away from the Bingo table and place a few wagers on things other than B49, I'll take that action.

From an odds standpoint, here's how I see it:

BD - Even Odds. They're in good shape going into the final stretch. The show is better designed than the show that won them nats in '07, and has a wide enough variety of tone and colors (in an aesthetic, not a literal sense) that they can keep exploring them and finding the balance they want. From a performance standpoint, they're strong across the board. Visual demand could be what catches up to them in the end, but only IF the other top two or three visual corps are so clean that you can't ignore their greater demand. Guard is between them and Cavaliers.

Cadets : 5 to 2. They've given themselves a much better package than in years past, though it still has to compete with the ghosts of Cadets shows past (including '84, obviously). Percussion is weak relative to the rest of the corps, brass should be right there in the top two or three. IF they clean the snot out of the rest of the show visually, they have the chance to make up some ground on BD, but there is the risk that once it's really clean, some of the weakness of the writing start to become more evident (as is always the case, which makes cleaning a double-edged sword). If they catch fire at Allentown, then the odds will shift dramatically, but that would require them to pop a number that not only beats BD, but does so convincingly, which I don't see as likely.

Cavaliers: 9 to 2. A long shot this year, not because it isn't an excellent show but because it doesn't yet have the "something else" to push it over the top. Horns are playing extremely well, drums are competitive and excellent (love the mixed implement feature), visual performance is as good as they've been at this point in the season. Guard should be 1st or 2nd at Finals.

Crown: 6 to 1. They've got a very good show, but not a great show, and more to the point, they have not one, but three corps to unseat in order to win. Even though they're right there musically, the numbers reinforce that the Visual package is not up to par with the other leaders in the field. They can clean it and move into the third spot, but I don't see them sitting higher than that come Saturday night.

The rest of the rankings I see going pretty much in the same order as San Antonio, with the exception of Phantom falling to 9th behind Boston and BK overtaking Glassmen. Oh, and yes, Troopers should make Finals.

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Objectively"? Ha! Now you're starting to sound like Hrothgar.

How do you pronounce Hrothgar? Is the 'H' silent?

That is such a cool screen name that I think it could actually be the title of a show for the Crossmen.

Anyhow, I feel pretty comfortable "Matt_S" (if that is your real name and if you're not actually a 12-year-old little girl sitting in your pink room with Strawberry Shortcake wallpaper) that what I wrote will come to pass. After all, I've got Mr. Hopkins saying he's going to dress up in a little skirt and do the mambo with me if they win. Why would you NOT pull for them?

But to suggest that anyone who disagrees with you has an unclear mind is flatly insulting.

Go back and re-read it. She didn't everyone needs to think they will win or even like it, but that it is made to be a championship show should they do the cleaning.

But to suggest that anyone who disagrees with you has an unclear mind is flatly insulting.

Let me piggyback on Kyle B.

"Flatly Insulting" is more like if I begin to call you unkind names and tell you that you should die. I hardly think that what I said will cause you to lose any sleep. Let's not be so sensitive.

Kemo and Kyle,

Reading the two paragraphs prior to the line about having a clear mind, where those who pick BD have "failed" and where Phantom last year was "objectively" all that is right with drum corps, gave me a much different impression. It's that context that made the post come across as condescending, as though anyone who does not share his opinion regarding Phantom last year and the Cadets this year is not a drum corps fan of the same worth.

Kemo and Kyle,

Reading the two paragraphs prior to the line about having a clear mind, where those who pick BD have "failed" and where Phantom last year was "objectively" all that is right with drum corps, gave me a much different impression. It's that context that made the post come across as condescending, as though anyone who does not share his opinion is not a drum corps fan of the same worth.

I'm even more convinced that you might be a girl because you are reading way to much into the actual words I wrote. Consider DCP a series of individual op-ed pieces. Almost everything everyone writes is speculation and opinion. If you approach this as such you won't get your panties in such a wad.

There are at least 3 shows out there that are built to win. CC is not one of them...

Cadets are one of those 3, and is many people's pick. Even with the synths it still has the ability to make old time drum corps fans to throw a baby or 2

I'll go out on the limb and say anyone would have to be insane to think that Cadets don't have at least a shot at the gold with this show.

Kemo and Kyle,

Reading the two paragraphs prior to the line about having a clear mind, where those who pick BD have "failed" and where Phantom last year was "objectively" all that is right with drum corps, gave me a much different impression. It's that context that made the post come across as condescending, as though anyone who does not share his opinion regarding Phantom last year and the Cadets this year is not a drum corps fan of the same worth.

I saw nothing of that in Granny's post. I saw a little humor mixed in with a personal opinion of who might have a better show and should win based on that opinion. While I enjoy most of Granny's post I don't subscribe to the idea that those post are fact and that the rest of us don't have a valid opinion as well. Anyway I want to see "her" do the mambo with George. :tongue:

Kemo

, and the Cadets of Wherever They Let Us Park Our Buses for The Winter

LOL! Thanks for the much-needed grin this morning! :tongue:

I'm even more convinced that you might be a girl because you are reading way to much into the actual words I wrote. Consider DCP a series of individual op-ed pieces. Almost everything everyone writes is speculation and opinion. If you approach this as such you won't get your panties in such a wad.

The irony of this coming from a middle-aged guy sitting at his computer talking as though he were a grandma in a retirement home lusting after young men in the Madison Scouts is rich.

Commentary works best when you opine and speculate on how you feel about a show, and I had no problem with any of your previous posts in this thread. Where you erred is when you began to suggest that others were incorrect, perhaps even deficient, to feel they way that they do.