Please Prepare for a Tie

Well, yes, but the judge is being paid to make decisions. If the difference between two groups comes down to a judgment call, it's his/her judgment that's supposed to make the call. So in practice, you'll almost never see subcaption ties and only very rarely see caption ties.

Well that depends on your judging philosophy. Your method involves comparing corps to each other. Personally I prefer a method that compares each corps to perfection. Obviously my method has a much higher chance of ties cropping up.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were a tie for 12th place at semi-finals, would both groups go to finals?

Just curious.

Why not just a battle to the death?

vote 1.

And if there was a fight to the death for 12th place, my money is on Troop.. they are BA and their DM has a saber and gun!

I was Totally down with the "Penalty Kick" solution....until this was offered:

Battle Royale...

PERFECT!!!!!! :worthy:

Edited by bullethead

I remember back a long time ago on a planet that resembled ours their was a tie for the DCM championship in Dekalb between Phantom and Madison. Well it ended up that each corps re performed their show and the tie was broken. It was really fun and I remember the shows full of energy from both Phantom and Madison trying to kick the crap out of the other corps. I think Phantom ended up winning and I think it was a Spartacus show too...oh the good old days.....

That was 1982.

The original finals had Madison and PR tied at 84.55. The run-off had PR winning 85.40-85.00

Edited by Northern Thunder

With the 3-way tie tonight in VA, I thought I would remind everyone of the rule change that slid by this past January:

The directors of all world class corps unanimously voted to return to the possibility of a tie for first place. In the past few years, if there was a numeric tie, ordinals would determine the actual winner.

I just want to note that this is not a DCI conspiracy--the directors of each corps that you love and support decided that it would be ok to have a tie, and honestly, I don't see why they're so bad. It's not like it's an "everybody gets a gold star" situation...there are a heck of a lot of subcaptions, and the chance of a tie is fairly slim, but if it happens, why is it such a bad thing? I know some of you have lived through those ties.

I guess my real point is I don't get why we bash the judges or "DCI" when there is a tie. Your own corps are the ones who say it's ok.

Peace.

Edited for link to DCI news article about the rule change:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=2...52-77c2575edf73

It's not the corps that voted it's one person the director of each respective corp that voted this

rule into effect , which I totally disagree with theres no reason to have a tie not one with this screwed

up form of adjudication these judges have free reign on whatever they want to do , think about it people !

I love this thread so far.

Duck, Duck, Goose. BUT They all have to wear/carry their instruments. Sucks for the pit!

What if I was a floater and drove the pit carts... I think this works in my favor..... We had a really nice 4 wheeler, Catch me if you can!

That was 1982.

The original finals had Madison and PR tied at 84.55. The run-ff had PR winning 85.40-85.00

Thanks, I was thinking 82 but couldn't quite remember if it was in 81 or 82 they had the run-off. Thanks again!