Head tilting

will92

I just posted that same theory to another forum (TH) asking if my range suffers because of my overbite. I did not get a response, but I can tell from the posters here that it is definitely part of my (pressure) range issue. I am experimenting with my alignment of the lower jaw to relieve some of the pressure I use while playing. And of course, I am always get the comments of the head tilt while wearing a shako.

I did play the baritone for a while and did not have any problems, but since I play the mellophone now, I have to deal with that problem.

I am sure that conquer it with time and patience.

One other thing you might try is to put the mouthpiece lower on the lips. Some people (myself included) try more of a 3/4 / 1/4 position to help with range when moving from low brass to high brass as a low brass player. At least initially, and it doesn't work to well for flexibility. You might try pushing the mouthpiece a little lower on the face. Doing this helped me with head tilt, and also made flexibility easier. It's still a function of overbite and down stream playing. But at least I'm not looking down my nose at my glasses like someones grand parent anymore. It's also kind of hard to read the music when the rim of the glasses meets the page in the middle. Moving the mouthpiece lower also let me use a smaller mouthpiece, which helped with range.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other half is being a downstream player. If you can switch to upstream, that'll level out your head. But that's a pretty big adjustment to make. And doesn't work on the lower horns too well.

Very very very very bad idea. Some people can play naturally like this, but those who can't - this can COMPLETELY ruin tone quality.

The majority of people have a slight overbite...look at orchestral trombonists - they ALL have their horns tilted downward without any embouchure, neck, or tone issues...it's because if you have an overbite, the most natural thing to do is tilt your horn at the same angle. This is where any sort of marching can be a danger to someone who has an extreme overbite. Yeah you don't want to look like a bando with your head completely tilted back...but you also have to consider you don't want to sound like #### on your horn for the rest of your playing career. I would still lean your head back and push out your bottom jaw just the SLIGHTEST so that you're not staring at the sky when you tilt your head back.

I never attempt to mess with playing angle unless it's incorrect for a person's jaw structure.

Tilt away to get the bell in the right place and then adjust the headgear as necessary. In extreme cases this can be a detriment as too much tilt can begin to close off the airway, but that's very rare.

From years of experience and 1000's of migraines later .... open up your chest and lift. You'll feel your shoulder blades come together by your spine. Your elbows will also feel higher. This should relieve the tension on your neck while playing with your head tilted back. By contracting your shoulder blades, it will also gives your neck more support and less pinched nerves in the cervical spine.

Point being ... ALWAYS put the horn on your face where it is comfortable. There are things you can do with your upper body to compensate and relieve stress and pressure on your spine. In doing so, you also open up your throat more and spread the chest, allowing greater lung capacity. Bending your plume forward and pulling the bill down lower to your nose will correct the overall look. Just march great and keep that posture that posture in the upper back and no one will ever complain.

The other half is being a downstream player. If you can switch to upstream, that'll level out your head. But that's a pretty big adjustment to make. And doesn't work on the lower horns too well.

ding ding chicken dinner

One corp I encountered at a parade in Portland a year or so ago. I was standing just off the curb when this one corp came to a halt right in front of me. The first row was all trombones. Of course they were all very military and their movements perfectly synchronized.

All of a sudden the trombones (held in the right hand) slowly tipped to the left on a 45 degree angle and rose slowly to the players mouths (whose heads had turned 45 degrees to the left also), while the left hand extended left to the end of the slide, where the entire section, in a slow, smooth, almost ballet like move, blew the spit out of their horns, then slowly returned to their parade rest position. It was perfect.

I insisted they do it again while I got a few of the Alumni Band guys to watch. We gave them a big hand and laughed our ##### off because it was so cool.

Very very very very bad idea. Some people can play naturally like this, but those who can't - this can COMPLETELY ruin tone quality.

The thread is about head tilt, not tone quality. Personally I think all upstream players have a pretty bright tone. Relatively.

The majority of people have a slight overbite...look at orchestral trombonists - they ALL have their horns tilted downward without any embouchure, neck, or tone issues...it's because if you have an overbite

Actually you have to play that way on trombone. It puts the slide in alignment with your arms natural movements. Not to mention 9' horn and only 2' until you peg the clarinet player in the booty. Not always related to overbite or downstream playing. Someone did a study somewhere that showed that the difference between pro trombonists and not was a matter of that angle adjustment. The pros had more of it. With the right shoulder thrusted slightly forward to extend the reach of your slide arm. Needless to say this doesn't fly in marching band too well. And not yet in drumcorps either. Although with the current economy, it's only a matter of time until DC? realizes that trombones are cheap and bountiful. Outfit an entire hornline at 1/10th the current costs. (and no excuses for intonation problems)

The thread is about head tilt, not tone quality. Personally I think all upstream players have a pretty bright tone. Relatively.

Actually you have to play that way on trombone.

Actually, I don't play that way.

But then, I have no overbite!