Open Class corps should have a shot at SemiFinals

Hmm I think I remember this subject from somewhere? Has it ever been discussed before?

:thumbup:

It's all bout the cheese. Some have it, some don't. And those who do #### sure are not going to share. I don't see it changing any time soon despite what DCP thinks.

and we have a winner!!!!! ding! ding! ding!

Because for those without cheese....there is no other option.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A corps is a not-for-profit organization...that basically asks its members to go and give 180%...go where they never thought they could go...achieve what they never thought they could achieve. And in many cases, those members take them up on the challenge and many of them succeed beyond their imagination.

Why don't these same corps ask this of their management? of their Board? To give, to try harder, to succeed beyond their wildest imagination?

Because finance is the most boring thing in the world--if a corps manager wanted to be a bean counter that's what he would be already. Do you expect the Troopers from Casper, WY to have the same kind of financial depth as the Blue Devils? Where are they going to get the money? Are they going to sell sheep? Are they going to pan for gold? The Troopers and most drum corps have always just scraped by financially-- that's why I'm not really worried about the activity in this financial crisis--they are just going to keep on trooping regardless --and come out on the other side.

Oh for pete's sake... I appreciate the sentiment but

THE OPEN CLASS CORPS WANT FINALS WEEK THE WAY IT CURRENTLY EXISTS!!!!!

People keep forgetting that Open Class chose to have their week continue through Saturday.

and another winner!!!!! ding! ding! ding!

Do you expect the Troopers from Casper, WY to have the same kind of financial depth as the Blue Devils? Where are they going to get the money? Are they going to sell sheep? Are they going to pan for gold? The Troopers and most drum corps have always just scraped by financially-- that's why I'm not really worried about the activity in this financial crisis--they are just going to keep on trooping regardless --and come out on the other side.

Troopers had a five year plan to get out of the debt that kept the corps from competing in 2006. They got out of debt IN A YEAR.

[EDIT: I know it's not relevant, but Troop's actually in great shape. They still could use your donations. Visit troopersdrumcorps.org. Plug over :thumbup:]

Edited by Pinwiz

and another winner!!!!! ding! ding! ding!

Your two winners don't go together very well.

OC doesn't have "the cheese" (winner #1) - well this is certainly true. Based on this, they set up the week the best they can (winner #2). This does not prove they don't want a shot at WC quarters, it just proves that they made the best of what those with "the cheese" left for them.

Because finance is the most boring thing in the world--if a corps manager wanted to be a bean counter that's what he would be already. Do you expect the Troopers from Casper, WY to have the same kind of financial depth as the Blue Devils? Where are they going to get the money? Are they going to sell sheep? Are they going to pan for gold? The Troopers and most drum corps have always just scraped by financially-- that's why I'm not really worried about the activity in this financial crisis--they are just going to keep on trooping regardless --and come out on the other side.

There is a reason that drum corps dates it history back to the 1930s--and the great depression-- I think both the Cavies and Cadets started in the midst of histories worst financial crisis--I don't know of any that started before that. Anyway, the reason is the popular demand for an activity which would develop military discipline in young boys-- that is what was seen as the positive ethic behind the burgeoning drum corps. Marching and military discipline is the most basic thing to drum corps--horn lines were a later addition.

No matter how our society changes, this basic demand for discipline will not go away. Vince Lombardi said "There is something about a man that wants discipline." That is the social function of drum corps. No matter how many money grubbing lawyers pop out of law school (like ticks on the ear of our dog economy), no matter how much liability insurance and other red tape drum corps encounters, the social demand for military discipline that created drum corps will not go away. -- that's why I think drum corps will continue to be viable in America in the 21st century.

If am wrong and lawyers and finance guys kill drum corps, then I'll be singing the Canadian national anthem!

Why are we talking about money? How gauche.

Here's the rub:

Open corps have a competitive opportunity versus the top dogs.

Open corps brings its show.

World corps brings its show.

Open corps gets a score.

World corps gets a score.

May the best corps win.

No need for the big capital letters here. Its an idea. And kind of a fun one at that.

(By the way, the Crusaders are not petitioning DCA to have Fusion removed/separated at future shows...Fusion (A class) beat Crusaders (Open Class) fair and square...even though Crusaders do "the whole DCA thing" and Fusion "only" does the downstate thing...once the gun sounds, all that other crap DOESN'T MATTER!)

Just a couple of thoughts...

Also - the reason corps in World class are there, is because they earned the right. They toured the full season. They put out the big bucks to make that happen. They made certain to perform all the regionals. For an Open corps to come at the end and minimize the odds of a lower tiered World corps diminishes the effort put out by that World corps.

End of thoughts. :thumbup:

Mav

Many of the bottom World Class corps do NOT have a full tour. Jersey Surf did not perform at all of the regionals. They didn't perform in San Antonio. I am for letting the Open corps perform in Quarter Finals and see how they compare to World Class corps.

Your two winners don't go together very well.

OC doesn't have "the cheese" (winner #1) - well this is certainly true. Based on this, they set up the week the best they can (winner #2). This does not prove they don't want a shot at WC quarters, it just proves that they made the best of what those with "the cheese" left for them.

Yes, they're such victims.