Thank you for coming to Indiana DCI!

I live in the midwest only get to see drum corps in June. But truthfully, the huge crowd in South Dakota isn't going to convince anyone about anything, not even me!

Moving to Indy pretty much took us out of ever going to nationals. It's tough on us California folks. But hey, I guess the huge crowd at the Rose Bowl wasn't enough to convince DCI that Cali is good for business. Their loss I guess. I will tell you one thing, we are getting sick and tired of only getting to see drum corps in June. Would be nice to see the corps once they are clean.

Oh well...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all very nice, but I'm not in Seattle. Seattle is a 5-hour drive from me...that's 10 hours roundtrip. Same thing with the next nearest airport that has slightly more reasonable fares, which is in Boise. 10 hours roundtrip.

If I get fare months in advance, I can find deals for around $650 to Indy roundtrip, but that's about as good as it gets.

If I need help learning how to be "smart" about finding tickets in the future, you'll be the first person I contact, though.

So move east. I'm not understanding your point about Indy being an expensive place for you to fly to. OK, Denver or Pasadena would be better for you, and yeah, Indy's generally a lower-traffic airport and expensive flight compared to many other former championship cities, but should DCI site championships so Lance and others who live 5 hours away from major west coast airports can get there cheaply? That's not where most of their fans live. Part of the reason they picked Indy is that most of their fanbase lives within a one-day drive of Indy.

Indianpolis can be a tough city to get to. I paid a bit over $500 for coach from Seattle. The lack of direct flights into Indy makes it expensive.

I make trips to Indy on occassion from Phoenix. I go one of several airlines....always for about $250 RT.

Yeah I wasn't smart this year and purchased tickets about a month ago at about $350 a pop from Phoenix. I need to budget better so I have money ahead of time to purchase well in advance. It is difficult to do this when living out west and I sincerely hope DCI holds championships somewhere out this way during the one year we are not in Indy. It's only fair.

Edited by Whiskey

Good exposure I suppose: Some things that stand out to me about what Dan said. He said that the "largest team sport is Marching band". When asked what his organizations year round mission was He said "Pretty much what we service is this activity the Marching Music Major League activity." He went on to say "It is in its own right a ten million dollar business that we operate out of Indianapolis". He said "We have to do everything we can to keep music in the schools as that is where it all starts for our activity".

Other random thoughts. Only the interviewer referred to Dans organization as Drum Corps International. Dan never once called a group a corps, he called them groups and also called them clubs. He seemed to go out of his way not to use the terms: drum corps or Drum Corps International.

Yes, Dan is purposefully choosing his words. Look for more in the next few years. And if my guess is right....some of you are going to be p###ed. Yeah, I supplied my own #s.

So move east. I'm not understanding your point about Indy being an expensive place for you to fly to. OK, Denver or Pasadena would be better for you, and yeah, Indy's generally a lower-traffic airport and expensive flight compared to many other former championship cities, but should DCI site championships so Lance and others who live 5 hours away from major west coast airports can get there cheaply? That's not where most of their fans live. Part of the reason they picked Indy is that most of their fanbase lives within a one-day drive of Indy.

Yeah, I don't expect anything to change because of me. If you go back and look at my first post, I was clearly joking. My only response was to somebody who basically told me I was dumb for not flying out of Seattle. I do hope to get back on the coast someday, but never east unless it's NYC, possibly.

No matter what, I'm going to finals week next year, and I will be buying air tickets early.

Back to the thread...

Yes, Dan is purposefully choosing his words. Look for more in the next few years. And if my guess is right....some of you are going to be p###ed. Yeah, I supplied my own #s.

Yeah Tom, whether I like it or not I see it comming! My only question now is how many more will be included in the P###ed people and whom that might include. Basically scope and mission.... What's the old saying...Watch out for what you ask for you might just get it.

Edited by bmroth1

Yeah, I don't expect anything to change because of me. If you go back and look at my first post, I was clearly joking.

OK, I'm sorry... I get it now.

And yes, as Newseditor suggested, championships should definitely be on the west coast in the off year. That's not even fair, because of course the west coast deserves it more often than once every 25 years on average, but the high cost to corps east of the Rockies to get there precludes it being there as often as would be fair. Of course I know, the west coast corps make the 10,000 mile swing annually, but the point stands.

Edited by Peel Paint

Another idea is for you to look around at other midwest airports/destinations that may be within driving distance of Indy. I made my plans late and couldn't find fares under $350 from Dallas to Indy. I checked St. Louis and was able to get a $138 RT ticket on American. I'm renting a car and driving the rest. I would have rented a car anyway so the only additional cost is the gas and the time (4 hours) between the two. You might also look into Chicago as it is driveable as well.

Another idea is for you to look around at other midwest airports/destinations that may be within driving distance of Indy. I made my plans late and couldn't find fares under $350 from Dallas to Indy. I checked St. Louis and was able to get a $138 RT ticket on American. I'm renting a car and driving the rest. I would have rented a car anyway so the only additional cost is the gas and the time (4 hours) between the two. You might also look into Chicago as it is driveable as well.

This.

I live in Chicago, so my friends use me as transportation. They don't have to rent a car, I don't have to pay for gas, and we get some extra time to spend together.