Why is I&E necessary?

I understand that I& E is a big part of some folks finals week, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be there....it just didn't make sense to me as a marcher (I guess it's good I marched where I did).

Here's the part that doesn't make sense to me, at that point in the season I had, at the most, 4 days to play with those folks perfecting that show...which was a primary goal of the summer. I had the rest of my life to play other music by myself or with other people. I couldn't imagine not focusing on practicing that show with those people.

And someone mentioned that taking a half day for I&E was akin to taking time for laundry....we weren't doing laundry the Wednesday of finals week either...we were practicing. To me, it would be like slowing down as I got to the finish line....when the finish line is in site...it's time to go faster, not slower :thumbup:

finally...I am not alone.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second, the I&E competition is inspiring for everyone involved. Even though I never won the competition myself (8th, 4th, and 2nd twice), I've had quite a few people tell me that I inspired them to practice more. I've also been inspired by other competitors to push even harder myself. It serves to create better performers throughout the activity.

2nd at I&E twice? Jesse, you're like the mid-80s Santa Clara Vanguard.

2nd at I&E twice? Jesse, you're like the mid-80s Santa Clara Vanguard.

lol tell me about it

Actually, the year I got 4th was worse than the 2nd places... you might remember, that was the year that we had something to do in the evening, and so I had to go on at like 8:00 a.m. or something.... all I remember is that I was the first person on that day. I was in my designated area before the judge even showed up lol

I was in 1st place all day until like 5:00 p.m. when the last three guys to go on, all from BD, were placed above me. Talk about getting screwed by placement. :worthy: All kidding aside, I'm sure they were just better than me that day, but you have to wonder if the judge forgot what I sounded like at eight in the morning. :worthy::thumbup:

As to CuriousMe's comment, I can definitely see your point. But I also have to think.... if you aren't ready to perform your finals show by the time I&E rolls around, another 3-6 hours of rehearsal isn't going to save you. It's like back in college when you pulled an all-nighter studying for a test... did you really do better? Probably not.

Edited by scvjesse

finally...I am not alone.

some good points here but, seeing Rob Carson's last I&E performance was perhaps one of the most dramatic moments I've ever witnessed.

If you'd rather practice than do I&E, either:

A) Don't do I&E.

B) March a corps that doesn't do I&E.

Really not that hard.

I see all points here as valid and well thought out, but I have to say for myself that I & E is vital to the activity. Many of these folks excel musically at many things outside of the drum corps range and I & E gives them a chance to be in front of an audience doing what they do best. Most musicians don't get a chance to do solo or small ensemble performances in front of audiences this large. I think it's great. As for the pushing to the end, I think a half-day off during finals week can and probably does do wonders for the energy level on Thursday. Coming into Quarters well rested and focused may well be better than having an ###-whupper of a rehearsal until midnight on Wednesday (at least that's when we used to finish up on full rehearsal days).

I don't think I&E is at all vital to the activity, but I think it is a luxury the activity can afford. If it costs DCI any money it can't be prohibitive or they wouldn't be doing it.

I agree with the thought process that drum corps is a group activity and that should not be undermined. However, allowing the individuals a moment to express themselves as an individual performer from their respective corps is a healthy thing IMO. These kids don't lose focus in the bigger picture at this point in the season. If nothing else it is a lot of fun to perform in and watch.

so make it a free day. Free days don't cost DCI anything.

DCI and/or drum corps is suppose to represent not just marching but musical education. Playing ensemble is only one portion of music. Solo work is equally just as important. I and E allow these young musicians to expand on what they are taught and do it in small ensemble and soloistically. This is the time when musicians really learn how to handle their nerves, truly listen for how their part fits into the music (i.e. balance, tone, dynamics) and learn that they can't always just blow off a lick and fake because someone else will be their to cover it. Those are important skills. They help when a kid has to go audition (hence the nerves part) and when they are in large ensemble playing .

Also, I and E does give the kids a much needed break in a hectic tour from the show. As a working musician myself, a show can get stagnant and burnt-out when you do it everyday for a few weeks no matter how much your drive is to be the best of the best. I and E gives the kids a chance to (in a musical environment) just clear their heads but still think about the music and performance so that the day after they can go back to rehearsal perhaps a little refreshed with fresh ears (hearing something else besides yourself can help when you go back to listening to yourself when you rehearse).

Edited by txorchdork013

The cool aspect of I&E is that it offers as level a playing field as you'll ever encounter within our activity.

Pioneer will not win World Class Finals this year. Write it down, take a picture. However, there's no way to guarantee a kid from the Pioneer mellophone section won't show up and blow the doors off of everyone else in his/her category. He/she has as much of a chance to win as any mellophonist from the Blue Devils or Santa Clara.

This is a chance for some of the less celebrated corps to get a moment in the spotlight.

That's always been the cool part for me. The performers get to represent their corps in a competition on a more personal level.