Why is I&E necessary?

So, is I&E anything more than a day long ego trip? Or, do winners get scholarships or endorsements?

I mean...I think logistically, it would make sense for corps to rehearse than to spend the day with I&E.

But, being the buzzkill I am, I am probably alone in this sentiment. I&E is a waste of time.

You're not the only one who thinks I&E is not important I march a corp and in my opinion I&E is just another opportunoty for the blue devils to humiliate a corp who are not finalist I'm not saying blue devils are bad they have good musicians but in my opinion I think I&E is unnecessary

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not the only one who thinks I&E is not important I march a corp and in my opinion I&E is just another opportunoty for the blue devils to humiliate a corp who are not finalist I'm not saying blue devils are bad they have good musicians but in my opinion I think I&E is unnecessary

Just for the record, there were 26 different sections in I&E this year. Of those 26...

Blue Knights won 5

Blue Devils won 4

The Academy won 4

Madison Scouts won 3

Blue Stars won 3

Boston Crusaders won 2

Spirit, Pacific Crest, Cascades, Blue Devils B, and Velvet Knights each won 1.

It may seem like they win at I&E a lot, but when you really take the time to look at all the scores, they really don't dominate as much as most people think they do.

Edited by Mellofone08

So, is I&E anything more than a day long ego trip? Or, do winners get scholarships or endorsements?

I mean...I think logistically, it would make sense for corps to rehearse than to spend the day with I&E.

But, being the buzzkill I am, I am probably alone in this sentiment. I&E is a waste of time.

Why does it have to be something that's "necessary?" Is drum corps necessary? Is music necessary? If we were only doing things because they were necessary we'd scrap all this nonsense and make all the kids get jobs. If we're going from the "necessary" angle, I&E encourages people to go beyond the normal drum corps boundaries, to keep practicing something besides the 11 minutes of their show during the summer, and it's fun. And quite frankly, fun is necessary.

Cadets have ALWAYS, to the best of my knowledge, NOT participated in I&E and they competitively do better than OK.

Close, but not quite.

The Garfield Cadets front ensemble competed (and won) in 1984.

The reason Thom Hannum gave me was that the corps was so wrapped up in cleaning that unprecedented and revolutionary drill that the pit was bored and needed something to do. :tongue:

Close, but not quite.

The Garfield Cadets front ensemble competed (and won) in 1984.

The reason Thom Hannum gave me was that the corps was so wrapped up in cleaning that unprecedented and revolutionary drill that the pit was bored and needed something to do. :tongue:

Interesting (and amusing anecdote from Hannum)!

Thanks for the clarification

in my opinion I&E is just another opportunoty for the blue devils to humiliate a corp who are not finalist

:tongue:

Competitors have the *total freedom* to step up and raise their own level of play. There are no limits with hard, earnest work.