I Think I Am Done With This

I dunno I love the activity too much to just walk away, so I find new things to love about it. I am amazed truly at the way today's kids can friggin' run and play..blows my mind. Also there was some great work happening with the color guards. Oh and 16 man Tuba (ugh I wanted to say Contra) lines rock! I can even live with amps and synth. The only thing I would change is if a musician isnt making the sound then it doesn't go on the field. For example sampling original vocals from West Side Story, or any other kind of sampling. I have no objection with an actual cadet saying those lines into a mic. I will also admit using the synth to create some other affects did not sit well with me, but heck if it could all lead to the use of lasers in the future I guess I can live with it.

Hey I know I miss melodies too, but you know things often come circle I figure it will be back again. I mean heck my daughter is listening to 80's music and thinking she is cool and hip like she is listening t the Beatles or something! :-)

THANK YOU. Well reasoned, and very well said. I too have seen the activity change, and I don't agree with every change. But man, those kids are flying out there.

And speaking of melodies...The best crowd response of the night? SCV! What an amazing musical show!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU. Well reasoned, and very well said. I too have seen the activity change, and I don't agree with every change. But man, those kids are flying out there.

And speaking of melodies...The best crowd response of the night? SCV! What an amazing musical show!

Agree. SCV is awesome. Much cleaner than Cavs or Cadets last night . I think they are getting the screws this year

Get used to it.

With the 10 year commitment to the Oil Can, this is but a preview of things to come. At the macro level, the dome rewards subtle, visual (read: color-guard driven) shows, and punishes loud, driving, traditional drum corps.

Give credit to BD for figuring this out for 2009. Yes, they are outperforming everyone else, but they are also benefitting from smart design decisions that take advantage of what the dome permits.

I doubt that the other major powers will fail to learn from this experience.

Thus, the activity is remade.

St. Cuthbert

If every drum corps tries to design a show the way BD has then get me the #### out of here. I don't want "smart" design. I want real drum corps!!!

If every drum corps tries to design a show the way BD has then get me the #### out of here. I don't want "smart" design. I want real drum corps!!!

:bluedevil:

Agree. SCV is awesome. Much cleaner than Cavs or Cadets last night . I think they are getting the screws this year

My friends and I have discussed this many times now.

SCV is by far my favorite show this year.

But I can see where the judges may be coming from, with Cavs and Cadets having more demanding tempos and music.

Still, it is very hard for a corp to show restraint for as long as they're required to, which I think is being taken into account. I wouldn't say they are being screwed this year...but if they just so happen to take Cavs by finals...there will be no disagreement on my part.

It seems to me that no matter what type of design is out there or who is performing what...that SOMEBODY is going to complain.

I swear, this forum is the most..."complainiest" site in the world.

This activity is purely voluntary. Want to leave? <shrugs shoulders> ok...but I think you will be missing out on some really cool stuff

but then again, it seems like you already are...

Cali.

(who is stoked for semis today...but bummed that tomorrow is the end of the season...)

I watched the Quarters in a theater and I cannot believe what has happened to Drum Corps. It looks to me that it should be relabeld the Xylophone and Dancer Corps. Who the hell gets goose bumps from a freaking marimba solo? And now drum lines are taking off their snares and dancing and prancing about with the color guard? Come on, guys! What the hell?

Yes, some of the drill is still #### impressive but most of the shows seem stale. The moment that made me want to turn away the most was when one of the top 12 corps had their cadence playing over the loud system as the corps left the field but the drum line just marched off silently. That was so unbelievably disgraceful.

And the interviews after each Corps are all with the dancers, not with the Drums or the Bugles. No thanks.

Will the last mincing Forest Ballerina that leaves the stadium please turn off the lights.

I wonder what your first post was. Let the TROLL season on DCP begin!

I wonder what your first post was. Let the TROLL season on DCP begin!

It was the post you quoted. He has two to his credit, both in this thread.