One Sentence Reviews from Quarterfinals 2009

First off, let me say that these one sentence reviews represent my overall impressions of each corps performance on Quarterfinals night.

Also, I will say that as a whole, the performance level of all of the top 12 corps is really high. That being said:

TROOPERS: I love that they are back with a solid show that looks to the future yet gives a big nod to their past... but I think they are getting a nostalgia boost in the judging because the Colts have the better show.

BLUE KNIGHTS: A good hornline sound and a couple of neat visual moves and moments, but overall the show doesn't make me shiver as much as look at my watch.

GLASSMEN: The first 2/3 of the show really isn't bad, but the final 1/3 just sort of derails the show and makes you think "what are they doing?"

BLUE STARS: Too Many PROPS-- but other than that, this show is really darn good with a loud hornline and good drill which in a normal year would be placing much higher.

BOSTON CRUSADERS: They have an exciting show, but the entire time I watched this show I couldn't help but feel like they were trying to reproduce the magic created with their show "Red" in 2000-- and not quite managing it.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: I really disliked this show when I saw it earlier in the season, but they have really fixed it and the brass is blowing the doors off-- all of which leaves me questioning why it isn't scoring just a bit higher... probably because it isn't "Spartacus".

BLUECOATS: While I really like their music selections, their show design, and overall performance... the Idea theme and the cloud shirts are too much of a stretch and just don't work.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD: A seamless show with excellent show design, music design, guard, and brass which will probably end up higher than fifth... but I think it draws a bit too much from Garfield 87 to truly be a standout.

CAVALIERS: Once again they have a visually engaging show with good music, good brass and a great color guard, but the show is lacking in those memorable wow moments we've come to expect and the ending leaves you flat.

HOLY NAME CADETS: Of the many, many, many, many, many, many, many times this corps has performed West Side Story over the years, this is probably my least favorite treatments of the music... but they do march with some speed.

CAROLINA CROWN: This is probably the best overall show on the field this year with oodles of creativeness, energy, sound, power, and fun... and if it doesn't win it's because that shade of green is atrocious and does not work visually.

BLUE DEVILS: Evidently the judges really like sitting and playing, or standing and playing, or walking around and setting up chairs to use as visual markers for where to march on the field, but personally I think this show is a slice of snore pie and I don't understand why it's scoring so well.

First off, let me say that these one sentence reviews represent my overall impressions of each corps performance on Quarterfinals night.

Also, I will say that as a whole, the performance level of all of the top 12 corps is really high. That being said:

TROOPERS: I love that they are back with a solid show that looks to the future yet gives a big nod to their past... but I think they are getting a nostalgia boost in the judging because the Colts have the better show.

BLUE KNIGHTS: A good hornline sound and a couple of neat visual moves and moments, but overall the show doesn't make me shiver as much as look at my watch.

GLASSMEN: The first 2/3 of the show really isn't bad, but the final 1/3 just sort of derails the show and makes you think "what are they doing?"

BLUE STARS: Too Many PROPS-- but other than that, this show is really darn good with a loud hornline and good drill which in a normal year would be placing much higher.

BOSTON CRUSADERS: They have an exciting show, but the entire time I watched this show I couldn't help but feel like they were trying to reproduce the magic created with their show "Red" in 2000-- and not quite managing it.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: I really disliked this show when I saw it earlier in the season, but they have really fixed it and the brass is blowing the doors off-- all of which leaves me questioning why it isn't scoring just a bit higher... probably because it isn't "Spartacus".

BLUECOATS: While I really like their music selections, their show design, and overall performance... the Idea theme and the cloud shirts are too much of a stretch and just don't work.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD: A seamless show with excellent show design, music design, guard, and brass which will probably end up higher than fifth... but I think it draws a bit too much from Garfield 87 to truly be a standout.

CAVALIERS: Once again they have a visually engaging show with good music, good brass and a great color guard, but the show is lacking in those memorable wow moments we've come to expect and the ending leaves you flat.

HOLY NAME CADETS: Of the many, many, many, many, many, many, many times this corps has performed West Side Story over the years, this is probably my least favorite treatments of the music... but they do march with some speed.

CAROLINA CROWN: This is probably the best overall show on the field this year with oodles of creativeness, energy, sound, power, and fun... and if it doesn't win it's because that shade of green is atrocious and does not work visually.

BLUE DEVILS: Evidently the judges really like sitting and playing, or standing and playing, or walking around and setting up chairs to use as visual markers for where to march on the field, but personally I think this show is a slice of snore pie and I don't understand why it's scoring so well.

Agree with most, especially, BD. I think this realistically should be a race between Crown and SCV

Nicely done! On the mark as far as I am concerned.

Gotta agree 100%. Many of the top corps have far more demanding shows. To get the scores they are getting with the conservative show they have is confusing to me. I've been around Drum Corps 40 plus years, and I don't remember any corps getting the credit for a show that is far from the most entertaining on the field. Not knocking a wonderfully talented brass, percussion and guard. They are flawless,but come on high scores for that drill,give me a break.

Here's my take:

TROOPERS: Finally adopting modern Top 12 visual style, which seems weird for them. While they are the sentimental choice to make Finals for the first time since 1986, I thought Colts were better.

BLUE KNIGHTS: Dumb show concept, Part 1! I did like the avalanche affect though, especially with the hornline in a tight ball running across the field.

GLASSMEN: Obtuse show concept. Not very memorable.

BLUE STARS: Nice hornline. Unique WWII perpective that worked. Narration didn't adversely affect show but actually enhanced it. I liked it.

BOSTON CRUSADERS: Enjoyable show but couldn't tell you what it was about.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: Suffering from "Spartacus" hangover. How do you follow up one of the greatest shows ever? Not with "The Red Violin"! It seems like every championship or near championship year (1979, 1989, 1996, 2008) is followed by an utterly disappointing year (1980, 1990, 1997, 2009) where they aren't even in contention. What's the deal with that? Much weaker show than last year and SLOPPY drill, especially for championship week! This is why they are in 7th. This is especially disappointing because their hornline is awesome! If their visual was up to snuff, they would be 1 or 2 placements higher.

BLUECOATS: DUMBEST SHOW CONCEPT EVER!!! Whoever thought this show concept was a good idea (pun intended), should have their head examined! I did enjoy their familiar opener, which BD played in 1996, but was weird hearing it in a different context. The cloud people idea was just bizarre! I think DCI should have drug tested their staff when they came up with this show.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD: Vintage SCV! A traditionally oriented show that everyone loved. Thought it was brave of them to tackle "Appalachian Spring" with comparisons to '87 Cadets (best production ever) inevitable. Great but just a par below them IMO. This show will be a fan favorite for years to come. 1st place in brass bodes well for next 2 days, should pass Cavies easily.

CAVALIERS: Dumb show concept, Part 2! What are the odds that 2 corps could come up with the same basic, dumb show concept in the same year? Pretty forgettable music. Cleanest drill of all, as usual, but what happened to the visual flurry at the end of their show that was their trademark for so many years? This is the 2nd year in a row I was disappointed in their show ending. A very forgettable show.

HOLY NAME CADETS: Who doesn't love "West Side Story"? Went back to an old school style show and it worked. There was hardly a peep of narration, but the very little they used in "Cool" was subdued and fit. Audiences love them this year. I even heard (or read) an interview with Hoppy which he said the fan response made him reconsider about pushing the envelope so much (and admitting it was his doing in the process and not the show programmers). Great velocity in the drill, Jeff Sacktig says they get up to 210 at one point. I didn't notice anyone fall (which had plagued them all season). Loved the HNC, Garfield "G", CBC logo and "75" segment in their drill. They could win.

CAROLINA CROWN: The sentimental favorite to win this year and they could! Great show, great hornline. Now the green makes sense to me as I didn't know the show concept before last night. I am rooting for them to beat BD and take the crown (pun definitely intended).

BLUE DEVILS: Holy overrated Batman!!! How are they winning, especially with 4th place in brass, which I thought was their strength?! Their drill is blah, their musical arrangements of familiar music, that they and others have played before, are blah. What happened to you Wayne Downey? Are you finally past it? It was nice to see some velocity in their drill, which looked good up close, but up high the forms were as bland as could be. IMO, drill design has been their weakness for DECADES! I predict Crown will pass them and take the title home Saturday night.

Edited by sunbari1

Ok, I’ll throw in my two bits as well. For starters, I saw the show at the Regal Cinemas in Orange, CA as the Irvine Spectrum (which is where most of the DC alums frequent for Classic Countdown, etc.) was sold out. I will say our crowd was dead, as there were times when I was the only one applauding. Next year I will be back in Irvine, as that crowd really gets into it…I can only imagine their reactions to the Classic Clips from Blue Stars and Troopers ’79—I know I went nuts, as I hadn’t forgotten the music but I DID forget how absolutely incredible Troopers’ rifle line was…what a killer double spin on the very last “bop bop bop/”Indian soprano call” phrase-- GAHHHH!)

At any rate,

TROOPERS: I was surprised to see the spread between Colts and Troopers so high. IMO Colts have the better concept and are cleaner, but The Troop is getting The Push. I liked Troopers’ arrangements, and their uniforms are fantastic.

GLASSMEN: I have loved this corps since their breakout year into finals way back when, but this one did not do it at all for me. Aside from the “1 to Roman numeral 1” drill move, this was “the hot dog corps” for me.

BLUE KNIGHTS: Ok, I have to be kind here as my son’s mom marched with them back in the early 80’s and aged out with them: I loved the “Avalanche to tumbling snowball” move toward the end of the show (I was the only one in the theater who applauded here) and it was what I expected—eclectic, the “knee kick” step offs, nice horn sound. One of the best 9-10th place corps year…after year…after year…after year…

BLUE STARS: Should have broken 90! I usually don’t buy DVDs, but the one move involving the low brass moving in from the left along the front sideline into the dissonance being played by the upper brass in the open area of the field just gave me chills and is the reason I’ll buy this years, just so I can replay it. (This was the move Rodinaro commented about afterward.)

BOSTON: It got very quiet in our theater as all the guys were simply transfixed on all the closeups of the lady CG members during the preshow. Much of our theatre’s audience was younger, and I heard some gasps. BC’s female CG members have it all-- long hair, skimpy outfits, hardbodies tanned to the hilt, killer, um, moves…it was riveting. Oh, and the corps was pretty good, too. Remember: if you experience symptoms for longer than 24 hours, please see your doctor…

PHANTOM: Have loved ‘em since the 70’s, though we did have a rivalry with them during the years I marched the Red Team with PR’s current director. I loved the beginning and was enjoying what I saw, then I got the figurative Gatorade cooler dunking during the transition into the “close your eyes and it’s Bluecoats” jazz portion. Like Lindsey Lohan and rehab, I didn’t take to it at all. I thought back to how the ’81 & ’82 versions of Spartacus took a lot out of the kids and how ’83 was a “let down” year, and I began to wonder if maybe ’08 was the same…?

BLUECOATS: Maybe it’s just me, but when I see this group I get the sense they still haven’t recovered from The Great DCI Hosing of 2007. The uniform change was clever (been there/done that; try doing it on the fly though!) but the two color guard members “sneaking” up on the DM to “defrock” him was so schmaltzy as to be annoying.

SCV: Wow, what a hornline, and this corps had their mojo workin’ last night. A class act all the way, I think this was the only Top 12 corps to march a cymbal line…? As an ’84 vet, I take my hat off to this group for having the guts to do a down/soft ending, and the “plates” lifting the CG gal at the end (for a second I thought they were setting up for the “V”) was just flat out studly. A big cheer when their score came up, followed by “ugghs” & “oh man!”s when HNC’s came up later.

HNC: Took me back to Sam Signorelli’s famous “Where’s my ring?” year with some of the arrangements, but I think the CG uniforms (then) GC wore in ’84 were better. I appreciate how hard those kids work and the physical demands placed on them, but this tribute show didn’t do it for me much like when SCV tried to repeat RCM a few years back. I really thought SCV was going to edge them out by a few tenths, but I was way off.

CAVIES: I don’t know how Rodinaro restrained himself from saying, “And here’s the replay of the mountain climber mounting the trumpet line…” If Boston was a good “guys show”, this one was for the ladies, if you’re into beefcake wearing semi-Lederhosen and body harnesses. Classic Cavies “big triangle” shapes, nice sound. I thought SCV was going to nip this one too, but I was 0 for 2.

CROWN: I’m not into the green, but I loved the show and thought they deserved a #1 placing. The “Promise of Giving” reprise complete with the reverse opening drill move at the end gave this Tenderland vet goosebumps. What a gorgeous brass sound too, they should patent it.

BD: I watched this one closely, and tried to keep an open mind. It seemed to me that, compared to Crown et al, BD’s hornline doesn’t play all that much. It reminded me of “Blast!” Also, I’ve forgotten where and when the trend of wearing DCI rings on the outside of gloves while performing began, but I think they should save it for Finals…

My "I want to throw a brick at the screen" Moment: The closeup of Spirit's electric bass player.. I'm sorry, but GTHO.

Edited by TRacer