Just 1 show tonight? Well then Lets get it on>

So . . . If Cabs won three captions, what did they get dumped in ?

Over last week, Hurcs improved 1.8, Cabs improved 2.2 which is relative,

(if you believe DCA's statement that all shows are relative),

but I have a real tough time believing that Empire improved 3.75

and Bush improved a full 5 points. I need to see the recap sheets.

I'm not trying to #### anybody off, I'm just stating the obvious.

Speaking from experience, Kingston is a favorite venue for the Cabs

and I have a tough time with the idea that they had a meltdown in

front of that crowd. But I was not there and I'm only giving you my

biased opinion with 39 years of DCA experience behind it. :doh:

Well dave with 39 years of experience your views are well taken and appreciated. Bye the way I see you marched SUN I voted them best other uniform.

1249892223.jpg

Here is a link to the recap sheet last night.

http://www.dcacorps.org/wp-content/uploads...08/kingston.pdf

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like GE is the big caption that Cabs lost. That is not a good one to lose, considering how much its worth. Plus, we have to keep in mind that groups with lower scores are going to see bigger increases generally because they have more room to grow (in theory). If you are scoring a 90 with 3 weeks to go, you aren't going to see big increases like a corps that is scoring a 70 or 60.

Looks like GE is the big caption that Cabs lost. That is not a good one to lose, considering how much its worth. Plus, we have to keep in mind that groups with lower scores are going to see bigger increases generally because they have more room to grow (in theory). If you are scoring a 90 with 3 weeks to go, you aren't going to see big increases like a corps that is scoring a 70 or 60.

Great point.

I was there, and the caption awards as they were announced are:

High Brass: Cabs

High Percussion: Hurcs

Drum Major: Dave Bruni

High Visual: Hurcs

High General Effect: Hurcs

Honor Guard: Hurcs

I will not be doing a review because as an Alumni of Hurricanes, I'm sure that I will be accused of bias.

I am not a musician, I am a fan, and have been a fan since I was a child. I don't have the understanding of why someone is given 'x' points for whatever, I just know what I like.

I was also in Scranton. Statesmen improved their show a TON. I do not believe that Cabs did.

The general concensus from all of my 'neighbors' for the night was that Hurcs deserved the win and were hands down the best of the evening. Their favorite moment was "downfall" from the back corner by Hurcs. (Kudos drumline!!)

I love Drum Corps and the differences and similarites of all corps.

Maybe I'll see you on the 50 next year!

Yours in Drum Corps,

Vi Lockwood

Edited by stormiehurc

So . . . If Cabs won three captions, what did they get dumped in ?

Over last week, Hurcs improved 1.8, Cabs improved 2.2 which is relative,

(if you believe DCA's statement that all shows are relative),

but I have a real tough time believing that Empire improved 3.75

and Bush improved a full 5 points. I need to see the recap sheets.

I'm not trying to #### anybody off, I'm just stating the obvious.

Speaking from experience, Kingston is a favorite venue for the Cabs

and I have a tough time with the idea that they had a meltdown in

front of that crowd. But I was not there and I'm only giving you my

biased opinion with 39 years of DCA experience behind it. :tongue:

Ok well to start out, Cabs colorguard is a bag this year. Sorry, but its the truth.

Cabs won Brass, and Visual. Empire got Ensemble Percussion, and Music Effect. In both Percussion captions Empire creamed Cabs. Empire's guard beat the Cabs guard.

Field Visual

Cabs (17.9)

Empire (17.4)

Ensemble Visual

Cabs (17.2)

Empire (16.8)

Colorguard

Empire (17.4)

Cabs (17.2)

Field Percussion

Empire (18.0)

Cabs (17.6)

Ensemble Percussion

Empire (17.9)

Cabs (17.3)

Field Brass

Cabs (17.8)

Empire (17.4)

Ensemble Brass

Cabs (18.4)

Empire (17.9)

Visual Effect

Empire (17.1)

Cabs (16.9)

Music Effect

Empire (18.0)

Cabs (17.6)

FINAL SCORE

Empire (87.600)

Cabs (87.313)

There ya go.

Ok well to start out, Cabs colorguard is a bag this year. Sorry, but its the truth.

Cabs won Brass, and Visual. Empire got Ensemble Percussion, and Music Effect. In both Percussion captions Empire creamed Cabs. Empire's guard beat the Cabs guard.

Field Visual

Cabs (17.9)

Empire (17.4)

Ensemble Visual

Cabs (17.2)

Empire (16.8)

Colorguard

Empire (17.4)

Cabs (17.2)

Field Percussion

Empire (18.0)

Cabs (17.6)

Ensemble Percussion

Empire (17.9)

Cabs (17.3)

Field Brass

Cabs (17.8)

Empire (17.4)

Ensemble Brass

Cabs (18.4)

Empire (17.9)

Visual Effect

Empire (17.1)

Cabs (16.9)

Music Effect

Empire (18.0)

Cabs (17.6)

FINAL SCORE

Empire (87.600)

Cabs (87.313)

There ya go.

That is a very impressive collection of statistics, which by the way is what I do for a living.

You are missing the point I made by not comparing them to the recap sheet from last week,

(which I did). You will see a very different picture. If Empire was able to improve that much

in one week, I'll give them all the credit in the world, but I'm also allowed my opinion that

I don't think it's possible short of everyone quiting their jobs and practicing every day.

This is exactly the reason why I never liked the changes in how Corps are judged today.

Give me the old system where a mistake is a mistake and less of the sheets are left up

to "Individual Interpretation" I've seen alot of changes to DCA over the years, going all

the way back to not having to use the starting line and not having to "exit" the field.

I'm sure there are many alumni out there that agree with me. but it's only our opinion . . .

That is a very impressive collection of statistics, which by the way is what I do for a living.

You are missing the point I made by not comparing them to the recap sheet from last week,

(which I did). You will see a very different picture. If Empire was able to improve that much

in one week, I'll give them all the credit in the world, but I'm also allowed my opinion that

I don't think it's possible short of everyone quiting their jobs and practicing every day.

This is exactly the reason why I never liked the changes in how Corps are judged today.

Give me the old system where a mistake is a mistake and less of the sheets are left up

to "Individual Interpretation" I've seen alot of changes to DCA over the years, going all

the way back to not having to use the starting line and not having to "exit" the field.

I'm sure there are many alumni out there that agree with me. but it's only our opinion . . .

Why is it that some of the other DCA Corps have had 3 & 4 point increases from show to show but The Empire Statesmen

"short of everyone quiting their jobs and practicing every day" , " it isn't possible", shouldn't be able to. Yes sir it is possible, we had the

best Saturday rehersal of the season, and our " rookie contingent " was able to step up to the plate and perform in a manner

representative of the Empire Satesmen.

Edited by f1947h

except the were was NO standard uniform mistake back then. ticks were just as subjective if not moreso than todays system.

go look at old recaps...one judge can be POINTS different than another judge on the same sheet

Why is it that some of the other DCA Corps have had 3 & 4 point increases from show to show but The Empire Statesmen

"short of everyone quiting their jobs and practicing every day" , " it isn't possible", shouldn't be able to. Yes sir it is possible, we had the

best Saturday rehersal of the season, and our " rookie contingent " was able to step up to the plate and perform in a manner

representative of the Empire Satesmen.

I really didn't mean to get anyone upset here !

Like I said from the beginning, and you really aren't listening . . .

This is not about the talent level of the members of the Empire Statesman.

This is about the way corps are judged today and how a point swing like that was

rare at best, during the era of the old judging system.

I am also entitled to my opinion about what I think of today's judging system.

If everyone agreed on everything, we could all turn off our 'puters and go

back to work. Forums like this would not hold any interest.

:rock: :rock: :tongue::ph34r: :ph34r: :rock::worthy: :worthy:

It still seems like the entire system holds a lot of animosity towards the corps. I am in no way calling out the judges, but from what it looks like as a member of one of the corps, there is a high level of Bias. Everyone that I talk to is trying to catch Hurcs, and no one is worried about Reading. Meanwhile, reading can sit back and watch all the kids in the sand box and not have to worry about it. I'm curious to see how many of the judges marched DCA, and where they marched.

Being a young one, could someone better explain the old judging system? I hear people talking about it all the time, but for those of us who weren't around back in the day, this would give us a better insight to what you "old guys" [kidding ^_^] were based on.