Remembering a champion from years past

One of my all time favorite drum corps memories is of the 1982 Blue Devils encore performance. I was lucky enough to be standing on the field as the corps performed their entire field show again. It was so awesome and to be that close to the corps was truly something I will never forget.

I agree I remember after the purple wings in "Pegasus" one girl broke formation to kiss a guy in the hornline (later learning it was Rob, and his sister) . It feels like it was yesterday.

Geoffrey

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had no intention of losing... ever.

That's true. We decided in January that we were going undefeated and were committed to that all season long. One of the driving forces behind the 82 Blue Devils was the moment 2nd place was announced at Finals in 1981.

There were several goals the 82 Blue Devils had:

• Beat the Blue Devils
  • Go undefeated
  • Break the record score set by SCV
  • Undefeated in brass
  • Beat Madison's record brass score (came close in 81).
  • Let there be no doubt about our placement
  • Win all captions

More importantly than the competitive success of the corps, it was flat out a great drum corps. It seemed after DCI Midwest we just got into a groove where every time we played it was an incredible performance. It was fun and the staff (particularly OP) made sure we all knew that we were part of something special and to cherish the moment. Not too many get to experience what we were going through.

The Bayonne show was the most electric performance the 82 Blue Devils did. We lit that place up with a performance I don't think anybody in the corps had ever experienced before. It was amazing and the crowd responded like we had never seen. We spent the evening partying with the Bridgemen in the school courtyard after the show.

The victory performance was a blast. I was on the end of the gate turns on the side 1 (left side facing the field) ending up on the 10 yard line at the end of the show. I remember having to march through a crowd that was on the field out there. Fun stuff.

82 was a great season with many great corps. Madison with a stellar horn line playing Slaughter and Strawberry Soup. Garfield with a new sound and a drill that had never been seen before. SCV defending their title. SkyRyders with a cool sounding hornline and Bridgemen with another great drumline. And knocking on the finals door was Suncoast Sound.

Great season.

That's true. We decided in January that we were going undefeated and were committed to that all season long. One of the driving forces behind the 82 Blue Devils was the moment 2nd place was announced at Finals in 1981.

There were several goals the 82 Blue Devils had:

• Beat the Blue Devils
  • Go undefeated
  • Break the record score set by SCV
  • Undefeated in brass
  • Beat Madison's record brass score (came close in 81).
  • Let there be no doubt about our placement
  • Win all captions

More importantly than the competitive success of the corps, it was flat out a great drum corps. It seemed after DCI Midwest we just got into a groove where every time we played it was an incredible performance. It was fun and the staff (particularly OP) made sure we all knew that we were part of something special and to cherish the moment. Not too many get to experience what we were going through.

The Bayonne show was the most electric performance the 82 Blue Devils did. We lit that place up with a performance I don't think anybody in the corps had ever experienced before. It was amazing and the crowd responded like we had never seen. We spent the evening partying with the Bridgemen in the school courtyard after the show.

The victory performance was a blast. I was on the end of the gate turns on the side 1 (left side facing the field) ending up on the 10 yard line at the end of the show. I remember having to march through a crowd that was on the field out there. Fun stuff.

82 was a great season with many great corps. Madison with a stellar horn line playing Slaughter and Strawberry Soup. Garfield with a new sound and a drill that had never been seen before. SCV defending their title. SkyRyders with a cool sounding hornline and Bridgemen with another great drumline. And knocking on the finals door was Suncoast Sound.

Great season.

Some dont realize that simple fact regarding 1982. Going undefeated, was huge because SCV, Scouts, Phantom and Garfield were absolutely tremendous and worthy in many other years of many things but the 82 BD were just that good.....I remember, before the computer age, the buzz about the first show, getting our DCW in the mail and reading about the first score and WOW, there was no way BD wasnt going to take it all.

What a great show,

G

I've said it before and I'll HAPPILY say it again...

The 1982 Blue Devils were the most perfect drum corps I've ever seen... EVER!

They were awesome. Just awesome. Smooth, precise, cool, in your face, awesome.

To all of those 1982 Blue Devils out there, THANK YOU!

Somebody posted these pictures in the Historical Photo thread from the 82 Prelims:

devilsprelims.jpg

Sweet! I'm on the very end left side. This is the company front right after the closing of the gate turns in re-entry. Doing the gate-turns and company front was a pain. Fortunately, it was after the gun went off.

devilsprelims2.jpg

This is the middle of One More Time. Soloists aren't up front yet, so must be the Sop feature.

devilsprelims3.jpg

End of Pegasus, beginning of Paradox. You can see the wings taking the wings off.

devilsprelims4.jpg

The end of the opener with those killer snare parts before the BOP....BOP.....BOPBOP

I had the opportunity to see the corps perform in Evansville, Ind., and I had one of the best seats in the house. Because I was writing for "Drum Corps World" at the time, I got to sit up in the press box at Reitz Bowl . . . and I just about lost my mind over this show! Because I was a DCW writer, I got to bring along my old cassette recorder and tape the show. I still have that tape . . . and it's a little embarrassing because of all the screaming I'm doing! Not my most dignified reporting job, to say the least! And then, to top it off, there was this old guy sitting next to me who kept trying to talk to me all throughout the show. *sigh*

Anyway, this show was one for the ages. I'd like to say the color guard is what did it for me, but really, it was that horn line. Just an incredible wall of sound, as Rondo said. But the thing is that then, as now, they did everything so well: guard, percussion, brass, M&M . . . it was all about as close to flawless as I have ever experienced. One of my favorite drum corps memories, and probably the show that I would rank at the top of my "all-time favorites" list. :doh:

I just have to add (and I've said it before) - the BD '82 color guard was phenomenal. They were so ahead of their time in musicality and body / equipment integration. I go back and watch the '82 DVD - and the difference between what they were doing and what other guards were doing is extreme!

Loved the Pegasus wings and the guard costume - which (back then) caused quite a stir when they came out with it in '81!

Later,

Mike