An Open Letter to Santa Clara Vanguard

This show was the closest thing to art drum corps will ever be. I could not believe this corps and their brass sound. I will even go as far to say, that I thought this show was better than 1987 Cadets...and that takes a lot.

I'll take exception to that. What bothered me about SCV this year was that Cadets did it first.....and IMO opinion - with more emotion. Cadets visual package in 87 was more effective and their drum book in 87 - well - according to the judges - was perfect.

SCV was great this year - their best in years.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot I can do this....

3803314306_91fee9627d_o.jpg

Great pic Wil! Thanks for adding it.

I'll take exception to that. What bothered me about SCV this year was that Cadets did it first.....and IMO opinion - with more emotion. Cadets visual package in 87 was more effective and their drum book in 87 - well - according to the judges - was perfect.

Cadets did it first blah blah blah... Thanks for your wonderful addition. You couldn't have just said "SCV was great this year - their best in years." and leave it that, could you? I'd ask you to remove the rest of your comments since you can tell what my intentions were for this thread but it's an open forum. You have to take the rotten apples with the good ones I guess.

Now kindly go start your own thread somewhere else please.

Edited by skajerk

This show was the closest thing to art drum corps will ever be. I could not believe this corps and their brass sound. I will even go as far to say, that I thought this show was better than 1987 Cadets...and that takes a lot.

Wholeheartedly agree. Taking nothing away from '87 Cadets, SCV was just on a whole other plane with their approach.

'87 Cadets did AS the right way. '09 SCV did it even "righter."

With all due respect for the 87 Garfield, the emotion out of that show is very much of the Cadets signature. Vanguard 09 is the emotion of Aaron Copland. I would take that of Copland any day. I have so much respect to this Vanguard design team when I finished listening to the 25-minute long original recording of the Appalachian Springs. I would not necessary say that the execution of SCV is higher than Garfield. All I am saying is that the design is so much more coherent and pure. Garfield '87 still seems a little bit combative and technical driven (its horn book).

To me, the Ballet for Martha is the morph of the emotion from SCV 2000 (Adagio for Strings & the beautiful ending) and the musicality of SCV 2004 (drawing sources from only one source).

Edited by watersling

Well said watersling!

The 87 drum thing is HIGHLY debatable.

In fact, I would say Garfield didn't even have the best line on the field that year (they were a close second best, though).

Twas a great show though, so I can understand why the drum judges chose to push it over the top!

Congratulations to the Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Holy Name Cadets and Cavaliers, you can all be proud of your accomplishments this season.

To my Brothers and Sisters of SCV. Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you for the most beautiful and emotional show I've ever seen done. Every time I watched you via the Fannetwork, you took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud of you and happy for you.

Thank-you for bringing such class and beauty to the "Field of Honor", you are truly the epitome of what Santa Clara Vanguard is about :doh:

Now, on to 2010...