Who's going World

It is a most noble quest you are on, but I am afraid you are a couple years too late. I sort of agree with you deep down, but the elecs have been added, big time and are not going to go away. You would be most happy with alumni corps, as they do what you think of as drum and bugle corps. Very soon, DCA will follow. They will say that they won't, just like they said they would never go Bb, but they will, to be competitive. Only in the alumni circuit will what we think of as drum and bugle corps exist. And their members are dying off at alarming rates.

You are correct!!! All of the DCA folks keep talking about how they are different. They will eventually see that DCA will follow the same path with electronics etc.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the judges need to start docking points from corps that use electronics for anything except micing the pit. If a corps can play the music up to standard they need to rethink what they are doing. You aren't showing the talent of the corps members by using sythns and other electronics. I find that the shows are then just another concert and that's not what I've come to hear.

Purity maybe the way to go.....it's up DCI and the judges.....they need to make the changes again..............

You would be asking the judges to give evaluations on criteria other than what is on the scoring sheet. Electronics are, for better or worse, allowed under the current scenario. So judges cannot deduct for their use - or even misuse. If a judge tried to do this, he would likely be reprimanded or fired. I can't see a DCI judge willing to go on the unemployment line, because of his stance on this type of an issue. I am sure many of them feel the way we do - but to express their feelings, are they willing to pick up a pink slip?

No, sadly, the only group of individuals with the power, to reverse couse on this issue, is the BOD. And they will only admit they are wrong, if this begins to hit them in the pocketbook. If enough people simply vote with their feet, and walk away from drum corps, then they might change.

But that process could takes years. And it will require the members of the BOD to swallow their pride, and admit they were wrong.

These are individuals at the height of their profession. Many of them have colossal egos. Quite frankly, these individuals may simply prefer to see DCI flouder, than confess that they were incorrect.

Time will tell.

I have said this before in other threads - I love Drum Corps, and when I got to a Drum Corps show I want the music, marching and some well placed/timed props to tell me the story that is being played out. That is what Drum Corps is to me. And I have no issue with the move to B-flat vs bugles. Easier to make a transition, and more accessible to marching band kids, I can handle.

I love marching band. When I want to see a show that is told with all of the above (Drum Corps reference), and electronics, woodwinds, singing, guitars, etc, I go to a band show. USSBA or BOA, makes no difference to me. In Connecticut, I can get to both.

What I take exception to - is making Drum Corps into BOA, and that is what has happened with the rule changes that have been implemented, and the ones that are surely forthcomming. That is what has kept me from a DCI show for many years now, and it really makes me sad.

going to my first DCA show this Saturday night. I cant wait to see these folks perform with passion and grace, and tell me a story through their playing and marching. And I hope electronics never make there way to DCA. That would be very bad.....

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

God Speed Getting back in 2010!!!!!

Imagine this, if you will..........

Randy Blackburn decides to make a career change. Instead of running a drum corps, he decides that he wants to become a concert promoter. He gets a contract, to promote The Three Tenors (Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras) at the New York Metropolitan Opera House.

But Mr. Blackburn decides to become innovative. In order to build fan interest, he decides to add a rock band to the performance. He hires a band to front for the Three Tenors, during the show. The rock band, in order to match their new status, rename themselves "The Three Tumors."

Before Mr. Pavarotti can start the performance with Donizetti's "La Fille du Regiment", the lead guitar of The Three Tumors lets loose with some power chords. Then the drummer for the rock band starts on a five-minute solo. The Three Tenors must return to their dressing rooms, to begin their warm-ups once again.

For some reason, the usually stoic crows at the Met are not impressed. Many of the ticketholders walk out. Some vow to never come back.

Donald Trump is in the audience that night, and he is interviewed by a local television reporter: "I can't believe it. I buy $5,000 tickets to hear The Three Tenors. Instead, I hear some garage band from Jersey! Doesn't the promoter of this event have any respect for the integrity and traditions of the art form? Mr. Blackburn - you're fired!"

==========================================

Does my analogy get the point across? Or am I being too vague, obscure, or obtuse?

p.s., I know that Luciano is deceased. My analogy still stands. Luciano, may God rest your soul.

p.p.s., I had to get in a reference to "The Apprentice". :laughing:

No, your analogy dosen't get your point across. It just proves that you are an arrogant jerk.

p.s., I saw Suncoast's famous show, where they used sign language for the ending. To this day, I have no idea why that was done. I am still clueless, even though a quarter century has gone by. Anyone care to illuninate me?

For some reason, corps from Florida think they have to be esoteric. I just don't get it.

As a way to visually interpret the music. That's what a color guard is supposed to do.

As for some other posts, there hasn't been a real "drum and bugle corps" since they added the first transverse valve. Do orchestras have to go back to valves-less instruments to be a "real" orchestra to play Mozart?

No, your analogy dosen't get your point across. It just proves that you are an arrogant jerk.

I resemble that remark. I wear it as a badge of distinction. Being an arrogant jerk - it's a tough job, but someone has to do it. And I do it with great relish.

I simply remember sitting in the stands at Finals that year. I distictly rember Suncoast's closer. It made no sense to anyone. No one I was with knew what was going on. We saw them close the show, and start marching off - then we starting clapping. Then someone told us, after the show, that they were using sign language. My response was something akin to "Whatever".

If a color guard effect is so obscure, that no understands what's happening, how effective is it?

Edited by oldschooldbc

If a color guard effect is so obscure, that no understands what's happening, how effective is it?

Effect is about emotions. Some good, some bad, etc. The fact that they were able to get a reaction from you and others (confused or otherwise) is an aspect of effect...so it was effective. Not all art is always understood by everyone, but more often then not the art will evoke some type of emotional response.

Effect is about emotions. Some good, some bad, etc. The fact that they were able to get a reaction from you and others (confused or otherwise) is an aspect of effect...so it was effective. Not all art is always understood by everyone, but more often then not the art will evoke some type of emotional response.

Great response.

I know this may have been trotted out to the point of ridiculousness in situations like this, but for the sake of this specific discussion, here's people's exhibit A: John Cage 4'33"

Is it music?

Is it effective?

This begs the question (and probably a new thread): Does drum corps have any obligation to be anything other than "entertaining?"

Great response.

I know this may have been trotted out to the point of ridiculousness in situations like this, but for the sake of this specific discussion, here's people's exhibit A: John Cage 4'33"

Is it music?

Is it effective?

This begs the question (and probably a new thread): Does drum corps have any obligation to be anything other than "entertaining?"

Bob,

This is a great, great question :unsure::laughing: And it must be answered. To me this is the Genesis of your conversation with your fan base (costumer) Create a survey call it the "Voice of the Fan" and send it out with your donation letter. By the way Please add me to your donor mailing list.

One must create an open and honest conversation with you customer. And you are doing just that. Yet you are one of the few. To me you are trying your best to be pro-active. Here is a great example of what happens when you do not engage your customers.

Your company makes white bread because that is what you have always done and you have become very good at it and that is what your customer wanted at the time. Now your customer wants wheat bread. Yet because you have not engaged your customer or you just refuse to listen to your customer, you keep cranking out white bread and fully expect your customer to keep buying the white bread. Two things are going to happen:

1. Your customer may still be loyal to you because they like your quality of product and they may give you one more chance to make the product they want, Not what you want.

2. They will take their business to another company that will produce what they want

3. There is no third option

Communication breaths the first spark of life into your relationship with your fan base. NOTHING else is so crucial to coordination of effort. No other factor plays such a precious role in building and preserving trust among your fan base. Communication is the MAKE-OR-BREAK ISSUE.

Dean