Service Members getting their info from DCP in Iraq and Afghan.

When I was over "In the sandbox" 2003-2004, I got my drum corps fix by getting snippets of corps shows from their web sites. (Cheezy huh? But it was all that I had.)

It made things just a little bit better for a while. You listen to BD playing "Everybody loves the blues" or PR with "Elsa's procession to the scaffold" etc. and you realize

that your life will get back to normal....some day.

When I was over "In the sandbox" 2003-2004, I got my drum corps fix by getting snippets of corps shows from their web sites. (Cheezy huh? But it was all that I had.)

It made things just a little bit better for a while. You listen to BD playing "Everybody loves the blues" or PR with "Elsa's procession to the scaffold" etc. and you realize

that your life will get back to normal....some day.

Those little snippets were great... and when you got something new... from camp or just a little taste of tour, it was always great.....

Thank you for reminding me of how important what you do for our Country is. Thank you, thank you, thank you! To all or men and women in the service! :satisfied::smile:

In 2006 I was stationed at Camp Patriot in Kuwait. Wouldn't you know it that I was deployed all that summer and was going to miss finals. I had already purchased my tickets before I deployed, and I had great seats for DCI finals. Of course that was the year the Madison Alumni Project was going to perform and I wanted to be there.

For a subsitute a group of us ordered the 2006 DCI Countdown DVD. We had a DCI night on our camp. We only had a couple people show up but we had home theater sound and we ate popcorn etc and enjoyed DCI. I know we were playing it loud when the camp commander came by and wanted to know what was up.

I wanted to do something special for DCI that summer since I could not attend finals. So I had an American flag flew over our camp in honor of DCI. I had been talking with Michael Boo long time DCI writer and he helped me get the flag into the right hands at DCI. I mailed them a picture of me and the flag and a certficate stating that it was flown over Camp Patriot in honor of DCI.

I had work with Madison for 10 years in the 90s and some how that flag found it's way to the Madison Color Guard and that flag was brought on the field for their performance on semi-finals (man I wish I could have seen that show live).

The night of finals that very flag was brought in for opening cermonies and the picture I had enclosed of myself standing infront of the flag being flow was showed on the jumbo tron and DCI made some type of announcement about the service men and women serving overseas. Also, DCI posted an article about me and the flag on their web page. All of us from the camp that were following DCI finals that summer thought it was great that DCI took an interest in us, way over in the AOR.

So yep, there are drum corps fans all over the world, to include hostle fire war zones.

Edited by RBarron10

When I was deployed to Afghanistan from 07-08 I relied HEAVILY on DCP for all my information. I got a subscription to FN as well, but the videos wouldn't work on the MWR computers. :( So it was just DCP and dci.org for all the info. I was, however, able to download all the APD's. I listened to '07 BD, '07 SCV, and '07 Crossmen almost daily. I listened to SCV's full show before every single patrol I went on! I guess it worked too, because I'm still here. ;)

I'll be doing the same thing on my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get the videos to work this time, but if not, I'll just keep jamming the APD's.

When I was deployed to Afghanistan from 07-08 I relied HEAVILY on DCP for all my information. I got a subscription to FN as well, but the videos wouldn't work on the MWR computers. :( So it was just DCP and dci.org for all the info. I was, however, able to download all the APD's. I listened to '07 BD, '07 SCV, and '07 Crossmen almost daily. I listened to SCV's full show before every single patrol I went on! I guess it worked too, because I'm still here. ;)

I'll be doing the same thing on my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get the videos to work this time, but if not, I'll just keep jamming the APD's.

Best of luck to you. Keep your head down, and know that we've got your back.

Hooah!

Brian Downing

OIF 1 2003-2004

Keep your powder dry and your sabre sharp..... hope the absolute best for you..... Stay smart and safe and come home to share some great stories....