Why such a tough year for the Midwest Corps ?

2009 was not a year that overall was favorable to Corps from the Midwest. Anybody know why ? Is their recruiting base down in their locale ? Is this the start of a trend ? Or was 2009 just an isolated abberation and these Corps will rebound next year ? What do posters think ?

Lets examine 2009 for the Midwest Corps :

The Cavaliers...... 2009 is the first year in a decade ( since 1999 ) that they failed to medal.

Phantom Regiment..... defending champion fell to 9th here in 2009. Nobody would have predicted this back in the Spring.

Blue Stars.......... did reasonably well placement wise, but quite a few thought this Corps had huge momentum from last year that would catapult them up the standings this year.

Madison Scouts..... good grief. This Corps reminds one of the once pretty girl that has 6 cosmetic surgeries, and after that, the girl is no long pretty and she's unrecognizable.

Colts........... looked early on to be a lock for 12th back in early July, but then came up short to a Corps from the West and failed to make Finals.

In Open Class Competition, that division was likewise dominated at the top by the West and the East Coast Corps.

So what gives ?

Good question. so_fragend_033.gif

I think the planets were all aligned funny this year.

It does seem odd when you write each corps out. But I can't see a specific trend that ties them together. Each corps seems to have different issues. And personally, I wasn't disappointed with the Blue Stars.

I'd be happy to see if somebody can come up with an all encompassing theory.

But until then, I'm going with West Coast Inflation. Followed closely by East Coast Inflation.

It does seem odd when you write each corps out. But I can't see a specific trend that ties them together. Each corps seems to have different issues. And personally, I wasn't disappointed with the Blue Stars.

I'd be happy to see if somebody can come up with an all encompassing theory.

But until then, I'm going with West Coast Inflation. Followed closely by East Coast Inflation.

I was thinking that maybe some of these Midwest Corps were having some difficulty getting marching members from around their area compared with previous years. I don't really know the reason. I just can't think of a DCI season that was so difficult and disappointing for Midwest Corps. This region historically usually does very well.

I do not think you can really pin any sort of overarching theory based on the region a corps happens to be based in. First and foremost, all of today's world class corps' membership is from all over the map. It would be curious to know the percentage of each corps membership is from less then 100 miles away? As compared to the percentage from 1000+ miles? I would bet the overall percentages are pretty similar for most of say the top 8 groups. A more telling stat would be the number of returning vets or the size of the audition pool. What region you are in shouldn't really be much of a factor for those.

Really this is a glass half empty or half full kind of thing. Cavies seem to be a bit more cohesive this year. They were arguably better in music then last year. Pretty solid. A much improved Cadets corps may have knocked them down a spot, but it was a very solid performance.

Phantom's final placement relative to everyone else may come as a shock, but it was clear from day 1 of the season that they had some serious design issues to overcome. They were solid and did an admirable job musically, but with so much improving around them they were bound for a big drop placement-wise.

Blue Stars took the next step. Improved in many ways from last year. It is going to be tough road from here out. The further up the ladder you go the tougher each spot becomes, but they look to moving up.

Bluecoats were technically solid. Maybe not as fan friendly, but they were trying some new things and more then holding there own.

Colts were very solid. IMHO much improved over last year. Arguably should have made the cut. That Troop group was on a mission though...

Madison.........okay I got nuthin'........ Maybe drug tests for the design staff next year. Got to give you props for daring to be different though.

The midwest based world class corps are fine. You can drive yourself crazy over with over-analysis. I am far more concerned about the state of the midwest open class and open class in general.

Though I do miss the days of DCM when the midwest corps would beat up on each other early and DeKalb was a measuring stick for the rest of the year. That is when 'Midwest' really mattered.

East of the Rockies caller line, you're on with Art Bell

2009 was not a year that overall was favorable to Corps from the Midwest. Anybody know why ? Is their recruiting base down in their locale ? Is this the start of a trend ? Or was 2009 just an isolated abberation and these Corps will rebound next year ? What do posters think ?

The Cavaliers...... 2009 is the first year in a decade ( since 1999 ) that they failed to medal.

Phantom Regiment..... defending champion fell to 9th here in 2009. Nobody would have predicted this back in the Spring.

Blue Stars.......... did reasonably well placement wise, but quite a few thought this Corps had huge momentum from last year that would catapult them up the standings this year.

Madison Scouts..... good grief. This Corps reminds one of the once pretty girl that has 6 cosmetic surgeries, and after that, the girl is no long pretty and she's unrecognizable.

Colts........... looked early on to be a lock for 12th back in early July, but then came up short to a Corps from the West and failed to make Finals.

In Open Class Competition, that division was likewise dominated at the top by the West and the East Coast Corps.

So what gives ?

So what gives ?

early season weather issues had to have something to do with it.

also, how many Midwest corps are left in OC? Colt Cadets? Racine...oh nevermind.