A funny Zingali moment

The risk/reward system is that you should get more credit for performing a more difficult program than a less difficult program. It's not a rules problem, it's a judging problem. It seems that the risk/reward system is not being taken into account by the judges. People think the judges are giving too much credit to a show that appears to be a less demanding show compared to the other top corps.

So it's not that people dislike the corps or even the show - they dislike the judging of the show.

i'm sure they are judging how they are instructed to.

I miss Zingali.

He was an amazing person and hysterical.

I wonder where the activity would be if he was still around

I had many dinners at his home with his mother May who was also amazing....and an amazing cook.

Her chicken parm was to die for.

I have nothing to be defensive about.

I have no affiliation with any of the groups or people mentioned.

I figured as much, which is why I made a friendly note. Seems like a lot of ire for what's a tiny little note.

I resent an incomplete story that seems to indicate that Zingali, who is not here to defend himself, may have cast aspersions on PR and SCV over 30 years ago.

I would appreciate a more complete retelling of the anecdote.

If that is not possible then it should not have been told.

It seems to me that the OP has a beef with BD's show this year but doesn't have the stomes to come out and say it him or herself.

Those are my reasons.

Yeah... honestly, you're not really coming off as the rational or credible one here. I'd suggest backing off a bit and just letting it pass.

Seriously, man, that's a lot of resentment and ire for one post.

I resent an incomplete story that seems to indicate that Zingali, who is not here to defend himself, may have cast aspersions on PR and SCV over 30 years ago.

I would appreciate a more complete retelling of the anecdote.

If that is not possible then it should not have been told.

Okay, but if complete is the requirement, there won't be many stories told here. They're stories, not reality, after all.

This particular story rings of truth in no small part because it's not all that different from the criticisms leveled by countless staff before and since. Staff (and their corps) are forever trying to solve the mystery of judging. That they second-guess and outright ridicule the judges along the way is normal. Just this season I heard variations on this Zingali theme from some of the premier staff of this era. It wasn't necessarily in regard to any particular corps this season. Rather it was - or it seemed - an attempt to understand what rates the judges' esteem and how their corps could achieve the score deserved.

I knew Zingali only a little. I can't claim to channel his mind. Yet from my arm's length association and the knowledge I picked up about him from others, I'm comfortable with the suggestion he would have had an opinion on this DCI and the scores. It seems an easy leap that he might have asked - as so many have - whether this year more than most exposed a flaw/opportunity in the judging system that allowed one corps to maximize its scoring potential without proportionate risk of failure.

HH

Edited by glory

Ok, my funny Zingali moment....

Phili...whichever year, 27th gomes on and this maniac comes running up the aisle and blocks my view of the show while jumping up and down and going nuts screaming and yelling. I turn to my firend and say: " now who is THIS ###hole" ? Took me a minute or so to realize by his comments that it was the drill writer, well before I knew the name.

Took me another year to get over it. Now I feel blessed to have my vision block by him.

( well, you know what I mean )

Can you clear this up a bit for us.

Did you measure how much time the BD, Crown and HNC horn lines played this year?

As well, is there a measure of the percentage each horn line played in regard to their own total show?

Let's deal with some exact numbers rather than make unclear references.

People took the time to chart this type of activity with the Cavies over the last few years and made some informed observations.

As for quoting Zingali out of context, not in a complete thought and 30 years later, you do both the man and the corps you reference a severe injustice and call your own credibility and objectivity into question.

Such anger and resentment. I laughed when I read the original quote and it reminded of that workshop. That's all. No further intentions meant. I didn't care who won this year and I wouldn't cast aspersions on one of my favorite Santa Clara shows (1978). I had just never seen a comparison done like that before and under the tick system it made sense to cut down on playing time. He made the point that in the 30-45 second difference between the # 1 and # 2 horn-lines and drum-lines , couldn't there have been 2-3 ticks that would have made a difference in the scores.

Someone is awfully touchy!!!!!!!!

As for my credibility and objectivity.I don't care what YOU think of me.