DCP-I Rules Congress

I have actually thought about this, but am not sure how easy/hard it would be to implement... just dont mention "west coast inflation" to JohnD :rock:

Haha I won't. I was thinking it could be a random amount. Sort of like how we do with corps that don't compete on a specific night.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule Change:"Mock" finals before the season begins.

Rationale: Having a "mock" finals would allow for corps to gain early season bragging rights over their fellow competitors. This would be a non-mandatory event, but would work the same was as the real finals (ie same number of rounds, 2 caption changes per round you advance pending feasibility approval by Jeff and John). This would take place before the season begins and all scores would be generated numbers.

Submitted by: Kadence

Sort of like a DCP-I sponsored pre-season event? I was just thinking something like that myself. I know individuals do their own pre-season shows. I've done a couple, but it would be interesting to see a DCP-I sponsored one.

Rule Change: Off Season Bonus Points

Rationale: In the off season there are 2 different camps. One being the number crunchers who figure out before the season even starts, What their final score will be. The other being people who just play the game and see what happens. Now there is nothing wrong with the 1st camp, but I think there is a way to even out the playing (marching) field so to speak.

The season will run as normal they only difference is no one but the ED knows what the finals "salary cap" will be. We start the season a little lower than a live season (say 125-100-75). At which time we get an increase in points, the ED can give anywhere between 1 and 4 points. Thus during the season the points can go up from 5 to 20 points. More like the live season you have to play the points given and hope for the best.

Submitted by: VK Org.

Rule Change: Live Season Caption Points

Rationale: Caption points for the lowest corps used should never go over 2. Class A is hard enough as it is, but not having lower point values, left very few options as to where to go with caption changes. Thus we had a lot of dupe messages is Class this past season.

If we have 23 or more World Class corps no problem. But if the number should ever fall below that, we shift the top corps down to 20 point and the bottom of the class would all be valued at 1 point each.

Edit: My OP have under 2. and I meant over 2.

Edited by Ex VK DM

Rationale: Caption points for the lowest corps used should never go below 2. Class A is hard enough as it is, but not having lower point values, left very few options as to where to go with caption changes. Thus we had a lot of dupe messages is Class this past season.

If we have 23 or more World Class corps no problem. But if the number should ever fall below that, we shift the top corps down to 20 point and the bottom of the class would all be valued at 1 point each.

Would this rule be accompanied by a reduction in the "salary cap" for World and Open classes?

If not, it would cause some severe inflation in those scores (for instance, everyone in Open could have bought lots and lots of Crown this year; relatively cheap [with unadjusted caps], with some major bang for your buck).

I would therefore propose that, in years when the maximum price is reduced to 20, the initial caps for World and Open should go to 130/100, and increase through the season to a maximum of 135/105.

Edited by ftwdrummer

Rationale: In the off season there are 2 different camps. One being the number crunchers who figure out before the season even starts, What their final score will be. The other being people who just play the game and see what happens. Now there is nothing wrong with the 1st camp, but I think there is a way to even out the playing (marching) field so to speak.

The season will run as normal they only difference is no one but the ED knows what the finals "salary cap" will be. We start the season a little lower than a live season (say 125-100-75). At which time we get an increase in points, the ED can give anywhere between 1 and 4 points. Thus during the season the points can go up from 5 to 20 points. More like the live season you have to play the points given and hope for the best.

I really like this idea. I know that anyone could just sit all season in last place, wait until a week or two before finals, make changes and jump 30 places to win. This would make people at least pay attention the entire season.

Would this rule be accompanied by a reduction in the "salary cap" for World and Open classes?

If not, it would cause some severe inflation in those scores (for instance, everyone in Open could have bought lots and lots of Crown this year; relatively cheap [with unadjusted caps], with some major bang for your buck).

I would therefore propose that, in years when the maximum price is reduced to 20, the initial caps for World and Open should go to 130/100, and increase through the season to a maximum of 135/105.

Yes if this rules passes then there would have to be a salary cap adjustment. What that adjustment would be can be voted on as well.

I definitely agree here. For the number crunchers your right the game works backwards and not very realistic. The end is determined and not much variation is done. The emphasis on the "whole" season and the other events leading up to Finals is lost. Let's face it the great thing (or frustrating thing) about the "live" season is the unpredictability. This change would require more involvement and corps management through the off-seasons and less just dialing it in to the finish.

Edited by StarOrg

Rationale: Caption points for the lowest corps used should never go below 2. Class A is hard enough as it is, but not having lower point values, left very few options as to where to go with caption changes. Thus we had a lot of dupe messages is Class this past season.

Agreed. Either this or increase the Class A caption points..again. But I think I like this better as it would open up other corps options (other then Mandarins, The Academy this season).

Rule Change: The 4:00 pm Rule. Captions must be submitted by 4:00pm central time (CDT live season, CST off season) the day of the scheduled competition.

Rationale: Provides consistency for caption submittals season-to-season.

Submitted by: Unspecified Organization.