Dumb question

JimBurnell

I'm a drum corps brass player. I've never been to a WGI show, though I've seen recordings.

I was curious:

Since indoor shows don't have yardlines and hashmarks, what do drill designers use for measurement references?

Is the 8-to-5 step still the base measurement?

Thanks. I know this is a pretty basic question.

I'm a drum corps brass player. I've never been to a WGI show, though I've seen recordings.

I was curious:

Since indoor shows don't have yardlines and hashmarks, what do drill designers use for measurement references?

In some cases, the seams on the floor mats.

Is the 8-to-5 step still the base measurement?

No, there really isn't any. Winter guard shows are more "staged" than "drilled".

Thanks. I know this is a pretty basic question.

Wow, ok. (Sorry for the original ?, I didn't see your responses in the quote box.)

So there's no real standard for dividing the space for either indoor guard or indoor drumlines? It's all just relative location pretty much? No dotbooks?

Edited by JimBurnell

Wow, ok. (Sorry for the original ?, I didn't see your responses in the quote box.)

So there's no real standard for dividing the space for either indoor guard or indoor drumlines? It's all just relative location pretty much? No dotbooks?

Hmmmm, we never used dot books per se, we just memorized the spots on the floor in relation to the seams of the floor where the floor was folded.

Having geometrical designs on the floor can help as well.

When I was a performer, we always just went by the seams in the tarp and use those as reference points. Often, we also had the front and back of the floor taped off in 4-8 step intervals.

As a designer, I use the tarp seams and just make sure the kids know the form they are suppossed to be creating. Never really had any issues with it.

Edited by Will

It's generally about the shape and spacing more than the "dot" in winterguard.

Although some guards use markers at the front of the floor set every 4 to 8 steps apart, it really doesn't help for front-to-back spacing. It's more about spatial awareness in relation to others on the floor and the distance from the edge of the floor to your spot.

we do use markers across the front of the floor, but it also is how the floor is folded. i believe it comes out to a large 4 step interval between our markers. for front to back we use seems. but like most said, a lot of forms come from spacial awareness.