entertaining the crowd

To Entertain or Not Entertain....THAT is the question!   

106 members have voted

1. 1. Can shows be designed to entertain the audience?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should shows be designed to entertain the audience?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Does creating an entertaining show conflict with creating a winning show?

• Yes
    • No

Endless debate this season about 'being entertained'. Is there such a thing as entertaining the audience? The common response on DCP this season has been entertainment is just a matter of personal preference and there's no such thing as generally entertaining. Is this true? Are there shows that most fans find entertaining? Should corps always try to please the audience?

edit:

ok i will define entertainment (solely for the purposes of this thread) just to head off the inevitable DCP redefinition of thread:

a show which takes and holds your attention and leaves you feeling satisfied with a strong desire to repeat the experience almost always accompanied with at least one involuntary standing ovation.

Edited by corpsband

Endless debate this season about 'being entertained'. Is there such a thing as entertaining the audience?

Yup!

The common response on DCP this season has been entertainment is just a matter of personal preference and there's no such thing as generally entertaining. Is this true?

Nope!

Are there shows that most fans find entertaining?

Tons.

Should corps always try to please the audience?

Of course!

If you're not going to try to entertain the crowd, then

1. Why should anybody buy a ticket?

2. Why are you performing?

Some people would argue that maybe the purpose of some drum corps shows is not to entertain but to elicit thought, or reflection, or anger, or describe an idea, or further a cause.

These people should probably wait until November to set foot in Lucas Oil Stadium.

Well, there's also different levels of "entertaining" (even aside from personal preference, of course).

Sure there are some shows that get you up out your seat screaming and yelling -- which I assume is the definition of what you're calling entertaining.

But there's other shows that I find entertaining is a more subtle way -- maybe not as exciting, but still entertaining to me.

Honestly, I don't want them all to hoot-and-holler-fests. I also like the well-done mellower show and find it entertaining on a different level.

In other words, I'm entertained by both classic Madison and classic BK, just in different ways, and so I don't think it's fair to equate audience excitement with entertainment, necessarily.

All I know is, there have been many times this decade (more than any other) where the winning show lacked either visual or musical entertainment for me. Sometimes both.

If other corps hadn't been doing shows that were far more difficult, then I might have been impressed, but watching a the cadets run their ###e$ off while blowing their balls off, then watchig BD sit around and play, wander around the field for a while, then stand still and play some more, just doesn't excite me. Were they clean? absolutely. Did I enjoy the show? yeah, but not NEARLY as much as some other dirtier shows out there.

I was sitting next to a woman (who was not affiliated with any of the aforementioned corps) "I get it, (insert her corps' name here) has it all wrong! We both march AND play at the same time!!!"

A bit of an exageration, but still, the fact that it was partly true makes me sad.

What is "entertainment?" I can be entertained by tension and drama done very well (Spartacus 08) and subtle beauty with class (SCV 09). I can be entertained by people with chairs, by golly. I can be entertained by something in every show if I stop judging and just watch and listen.

I can be entertained by people with chairs, by golly.

Ahhh you were ion Montreal THAT year also ?

:rock:

Ahhh you were ion Montreal THAT year also ?

:tongue:

hahahahahahaha! Actually, no. I hadn't heard of drum corps in 1981. My first exposure was when I was convinced by a friend of mine to go to some drum corps camp thing in 1983. :rock:

I voted:

yes

yes

yes

the only one I had to think about was the third one... I think it is more difficult to please the judges AND the fans than the judges OR the fans. Not that it can't be done, but the more people you try to please, the harder it gets.

Edited by soccerguy315