It's been 21 Long years....but......

I agree, I dont' care what show BD did, they would not have been loved by the audience or a lot of folks at DCP, because BD is hated now just because of who they are. The posts on DCP even before the season started were anti-BD - I cannot tell you how many times I have seen "I hope anybody wins but BD"

Umm no. What people on DCP (or drum corps fans in general) can't stand is when a corps taking 1st place boggles the mind given what you've just seen performed in front of you. This applies to every corps not just BD. Were you in the stands Sat night last weekend?? Do you really think people were just pretending to not be into BD's show? I've never seen a finals crowd give multiple ovations for the 2nd and 3rd place corps, and then sit on their hands for the winner the way they did for BD. The crowd know's, trust me. Regardless of what the judges say, the crowd knows. BD should have been in 3rd.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm no. What people on DCP (or drum corps fans in general) can't stand is when a corps taking 1st place boggles the mind given what you've just seen performed in front of you. This applies to every corps not just BD. Were you in the stands Sat night last weekend?? Do you really think people were just pretending to not be into BD's show? I've never seen a finals crowd give multiple ovations for the 2nd and 3rd place corps, and then sit on their hands for the winner the way they did for BD. The crowd know's, trust me. Regardless of what the judges say, the crowd knows. BD should have been in 3rd.

Hey, were YOU in the stands on Saturday night in 1993 ? Phantom Regiment received rauccous numerous standing ovations, so that means they should have won, right ??

How about 1992 ? Were you there to see the thunderous numerous total standing ovation VK received ? That means they should have won, right ??

G

Oh yeah, how about 2005 and the applause that Phantom Regiment received, over Cadets, that means they should have won also, right ??

G

I could go on, and on, and on.........

lol. Good one.

I guess by that logic then, Star 93 should've been 5th.

Everyone sat on their hands for that show too, and resented it. And cheered louder for every other corps in the top 5.

So, there you have it. The crowd knows. :doh:

lol. Good one.

I guess by that logic then, Star 93 should've been 5th.

Everyone sat on their hands for that show too, and resented it. And cheered louder for every other corps in the top 5.

So, there you have it. The crowd knows. :doh:

.....stop stealing my material or we will have to have that Appalachian spring debate in this thread too !! :lol:

G

Actually '88 starts with them just standing around playing and the guard dancing with balloons (props) :doh:

Touché!

I think this is a correct assumption, and here's why: a few years ago, Hop lamented on his blog these same sort of comments (paraphrased here) that execution and cleanliness were the driving factors behind being rewarded on the sheets now rather than the attempt at difficulty. Someone else over the course of judging debate here mentioned how a show like Cadets 1993 would have been destroyed on the sheets nowadays, which is kind of restatement of that line of thinking.

That's not to say that BD just sat out there for eleven minutes . . .but I feel like the judging system looked at how clean BD was execution-wise (this year, to the point of sterility for some, it seems) and that was the deciding factor over the Cadets/Crown, even though . . .from a certain viewpoint . . .those shows "look" more difficult.

As has been said many times, though, BD's modus operandi has always been to make the difficult look easy, so it can be frustrating for some fans.

Fact of the matter is, if you're out there and it looks like you're one step away from a trainwreck that knocks down ten people, well, that can equate to balls-out attempt recognition by the judges . . . and while it's exciting to see performed, the fact is that it also probably translates upstairs to coming up short in the execution portion.

. . .just my two bits. :lol:

Best description of the difference I've heard yet! :doh:

I will only add that part of BD's problem (as you suggested) is that the crowd (and many on these boards) may not know just how intricate and demanding the manuevers BD did this year. I witnessed about 7 different BD practices over the summer at different times and I will tell you that I was totlally shocked at the intricate effort they put into each beat. They might spend 45 minutes on 2 or 3 beats with vis techs hovering all around. There was literally no room for error in some of those moves in and around the chairs. The judges were right there and saw it first hand, and THAT I think was a big difference. But to the crowd it may have seemed effortless. On the other hand, the Cadets (and Crown to some degree) were clearly at the edge of physical capability (for any performer) and it showed (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

Thank heavens this thread moved back into the area of thoughtful discussion on these differences. Excellent summation of why there's such a difference of opinion on what constitutes demand . . . to the point where sometimes we can blind ourselves to the different aspects of demand that exist.

Blue Devils 1988 is pretty much my favorite drum corps show ever from beginning to end. The sophistication and style married to one of the best horn books ever written was simply magnificant beyond words. Hearing just a little snippet of that show in their 2009 program took me back in time to why I fell in love with the activity. A championship title that was long overdue.

Blue Devils 1988 is pretty much my favorite drum corps show ever from beginning to end. The sophistication and style married to one of the best horn books ever written was simply magnificant beyond words. Hearing just a little snippet of that show in their 2009 program took me back in time to why I fell in love with the activity. A championship title that was long overdue.

:doh: