• I marched DCI and am/was a music major
    • I marched DCI and am/was NOT a music major
    • I never marched and am/was a music major
    • I never marched and am/was NOT a music major

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add another category. The "Non-music major that never marched DCI, but marched in a Corps Style college marching band."

I know things have changed drastically since the 70's and 80's, but back then the non-music majors were BY FAR the best performers on the field while I was at LSU. The music majors were so used to playing in Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble, they just couldn't get enough volume out of their horns. And, they didn't like getting all "Hot and Sweaty" outside.........

Spent two semesters as a music major.

Graduated with a degree in Information Systems.

At what point did you realize that teaching music and a life of poverty were not for you? LOL

Unless you're at some great music performance school like Indiana or North Texas, the realization of chasing your passion in college vs. actually making a wage in gainful employment is some seriously cold water. I know it was for me. For a moment I even considered trying to transfer into the North Texas percussion program, but it still comes down to knowing even a music performance degree leaves few career options in the real world.

I do admire all of you who stuck with it, though. Maybe even envy you a little bit.

I'm the 53 year old "Cousin Vinney" of high school band directors.

Marched 70-75, I learned more in corps than I ever learned in high school band.

I was laughed at as a freshman music major for being one of those " drum corps " people who liked to play LOUD. I walked into that freshman year completly unprepared.

I went into music, not for the music itself, but because of what both band and drum corps taught me about life that I never got anywhere else. I knew there were other kids like me who needed that "family". Of course my experience was when drum corps was a youth activity FOR the kids and not the highly polished business machine that it is today.

I had to cheat in college. I'd write other Mus Ed majors drills for what was called "Marching Band Instruction" class, and they took my acoustical physics, composition and string classes. ( Viola ? who wants to play THAT )

I use the medium of music to teach my students common sense and how to survive in life. Many of my students play better than I ever did and know more about music as a high school kid than I did my freshman year as a music ed major. I've learned that my weaknesses in college have become my strongest points in teaching. Age does some funny things to you along the way.

And now you might understand my different viewpoint of DCI and drum & bugle corps.

Baton Corps-1 yr.

Junior Corps-6 yrs.

Senior Corps-7 yrs.

Alumni Corps-6yrs.

Corps Staff-6 yrs.

Teaching Music-23 yrs.

BME, MAE, PhD

Edited by BigDale

Add another category. The "Non-music major that never marched DCI, but marched in a Corps Style college marching band."

I know things have changed drastically since the 70's and 80's, but back then the non-music majors were BY FAR the best performers on the field while I was at LSU. The music majors were so used to playing in Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble, they just couldn't get enough volume out of their horns. And, they didn't like getting all "Hot and Sweaty" outside.........

I had to work my way through college so I couldn't afford to do Drum Corps but I marched and played in every college ensemble but marching was my love and passion. I was a music major for about 10 minutes as well but I wasn't crazy about all of that time locked up in a practice room. I really felt like they wanted me to be a 'performance' major and I wanted to be a band director. LOL. I changed majors after my first semester. I was not prepared to be a music major at all. But, I played in all the bands and was the drum major my last 2 years in college. DCI is my way to stay involved. For years I would attend HS marching contests etc.. but Drum Corps has spoiled me. However, I do still love the atmosphere and pageantry of big time college band (football). The traditions and the 300+ member bands. I often attend college football games with friends who went to different schools. They think it's funny that I go to the game to watch the band but then it makes them step back and appreciate the band and look at it in ways that maybe they didn't before. Makes them appreciate the hard work those kids put into marching in college.

Love DCI, I just hope we get it out of the domes and back outside where it belongs.

At what point did you realize that teaching music and a life of poverty were not for you? LOL

Unless you're at some great music performance school like Indiana or North Texas, the realization of chasing your passion in college vs. actually making a wage in gainful employment is some seriously cold water. I know it was for me. For a moment I even considered trying to transfer into the North Texas percussion program, but it still comes down to knowing even a music performance degree leaves few career options in the real world.

Choosing between technology and music was a tough one for me, and pretty much caused me to have a quarter-life crisis a few years back.

I started out as a CIS major. In my 4th semester of college, I was playing in two concert ensembles and was pledging KKΨ, and at that point it seemed very logical to major in music. So I made that decision, but then went off to march my first summer of corps. I came back and, after being exposed to the brass technique of my corps, found myself disappointed in the music program at my school, and subsequently changed majors and dropped out of KKΨ.

A couple of years later I taught a marching band and loved it, and tried the music major thing again, but my heart just wasn't in it. I taught two more seasons of marching band, but by the end of the second season (of the 3) I knew that teaching band was not for me. I would love it if it was [for me], but alas it is not so I pursue my other love full-time.

Marched 4 years Div I/WC. Majored in Industrial Management and now work as a QC Engineer for a food manufacturer. I don't play my horn anymore, but I've recently picked up guitar. I find that playing a little John Mayer on guitar attracts the ladies better than Horovitz's Euphonium Concerto.