DCI/DCP Breakdown

Breakdown of DCI/DCP  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Music Major Influence in DCI

• I marched DCI and am/was a music major
    • I marched DCI and am/was NOT a music major
    • I never marched and am/was a music major
    • I never marched and am/was NOT a music major

I never wanted to be a starving artist. Graduated from then named Southwest Missouri State in Springfield MO, with a major in Information Systems Mgt. That would be back in May of '83. Campus is now Missouri State, a promotion of sorts.

I did play in college concert ensembles, jazz bands, brass choirs, but none of that was on the SMS campus. All of that was either at Diablo Valley College (junior college in Pleasant Hill, CA) or Chico state.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has been said. I find that many times, the best drum corps members (horn and drum lines) aren't music majors. The best members are the ones who are really good at being told what to do and following orders exactly. So for those who say you have to be a music major to be good, that's silly. In fact, at least from a hornline perspective, many of the people who march DCI are not very good at all, but they are very good members of the drum corps. For example, I have a couple of friends who if they were sitting next to me in an ensemble I would shoot myself, but I would die for them to be standing next to me on the field.

For the record, I was a music education major at Ithaca College and drum corps has basically owned my life since I was 6.

Got to this late.

I never marched corps (4 years of college band) and I married a music major. :doh:

Well, I'm kind of a weirdo in that I was a music major before I wasn't a music major...MBA in Finance. So I answered 'marched and was a music major.' But it should be pointed out also that I never worked in mued...got out right after the degree...student teaching was a bit too eye-opening!

I'd like to think my perspective is enhanced by having marched and having the degrees in the fields that I do. I understand the on-field as well as the back office aspects of the activity. Granted, I've never worked in DCI or for a corps. But I'll betcha they could learn a few things from someone halfway to CPA who routinely deals with individual entries that would cover the entire operating budget for the entire activity for a year.

Edit: Oh, and just to say it, I don't think you had to be a music major or have marched to add intelligent thoughts here. I think it is safe to say that some of the "I marched drum corps" crowd make some of the dumbest, most illogical and biased points and statements around here. I probably do, too, at times...happens when I get hacked off at people who dog contemporary corps as "not drum corps" and go touch themselves for 1970's videos.

Edited by silvertrombone

Marched in 03, was a music major but finished with a minor in Music, Major=Criminology/Sociology. I'm now a 2nd year doctoral student in said field.

I "feel" like a music major though, does that count?

:thumbup:

I marched 4 years in a top High School band as did my wife (rival school).

Now our kid marches DCI.

the dream lives on...

Cali.

do you still help with a marching band on the side? It's a good way to be involved in something you liked, but doesn't come with all the extra stuff that being a HS band director does.

I was asked to teach again, but I just don't have it in me anymore. I definitely enjoy performing much more than teaching.

I would march, but I feel that it would be foolish to so with my professional ambition being classical saxophone.

I mean shoot, I practiced my ### off all summer, got wayyyyyyy better and I'm still nowhere near satisfied with what I accomplished this summer.

Therefore, marching is just not for me.

Still love me some drum corps though!

This is just a poll to see how much of an influence being a music major has on DCI/DCP. I have talked to a few people who think you must be a music major in order to be "good enough" to march in DCI.

You certainly don't need to be a music major to march DCI. I was marching a top 12 corps during my freshman year in HS....at least until we folded in April. I played the lead soprano part for a top 12 corps during my senior year of HS. Of course, being a California "all-state" trumpet player helped, but we had a pretty good soprano line even though some at the bottom end playing the lower parts were players newer to the instrument. I firmly believe that as long as you have somewhat decent chops and a desire to work hard.....you can march in a top 12 corps. Of course, I think a little more experience would be required to make a top 5 corps.

• 4 months later...

since we are doing polls...thought I would bring this back to the top again...since it was put out in the summer while most current marching members were gone. See if the results change

results up to today were

58 marched-music major

118 marched- non-music major

21 music major fan- never marched

54 non music major fan- never marched