given how people react, can you blame them?

Jeff - I can't blame them AT ALL - it is however nice to see someone who finally was able to put one up. I guess it's the state of the world nowadays - and that's too bad that there are so many negative comments made on DCP. It discourages people from doing the reviews. And the reviews DO help the corps in some instances.

Edited by msjbass

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"the patriotic kind of theme is a little bit of a change-up for Empire. "

...what a strange world we live in here in 2009....

:)

I seem to recall an Empire Statesmen show back in the early-to-mid 90's complete with patriotic music, where they first used the giant American flag over the corps. And weren't the corps' original colors red, white and blue, w/striped vests, white jackets and blue bowties? Or am I imagining something I never actually witnessed?

actually the original tux was a medium dark shade of blue and the shuffled the Curly way

Only recall seeing the corps proper in white & black. But I did miss the early years.

please inquire about the tank (that blew smoke), the color pre, the Statue of Liberty (mural and the actual replica), the army-navy-air force-marines in the cg, and Uncle Sam on stilts....or was that King Rex? The big flag in 2008 was my kinda drum corps!

please inquire about the tank (that blew smoke), the color pre, the Statue of Liberty (mural and the actual replica), the army-navy-air force-marines in the cg, and Uncle Sam on stilts....or was that King Rex? The big flag in 2008 was my kinda drum corps!

especially since it worked as opposed to 92 :doh:

oh, I dunno...but for a few threads at prelims, it was ok. And the drumline was pretty good, too :)

"the patriotic kind of theme is a little bit of a change-up for Empire. "

...what a strange world we live in here in 2009....

:)

Well... for those of you who haven't actually seen the corps, it IS a change up. And to be honest it's supposed to be something of a more serious show.

In the old(er) days, Vince Bruni's idea of a Patriotic show ended with a tank coming down the 50 yard line and a people on their feet for the last 4 minutes of the show.

Without going into too much detail, the corps was advised to take a more serious approach (and less old school approach). So... it isn't a Rah-Rah Old School Statesmen Color Pre kinda show. It's supposed to a be a more dignified, reverential show.

I actually think it's a cool idea.

But...Instead of "It's A Grand Old Flag," it's "Fanfare For The Common Man"... Instead of "I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy," it's "Amazing Grace," instead of "Johnny Comes Marchin' Home," it's "One Voice." It's about honoring the previous generations, and celebrating a country where a person can come from anywhere in the world and give birth to a baby that could grow up to be president.

So when people say the corps is "flat" or "lacks pizzazz" I know the staff is pulling their hair out.

I happen to think that you'll all see Empire's color guard climb up through the ranks as the year goes on, and I know the brass line has awakened. And I'm telling ya, the person-for-person talent throughout the whole corps is better than last year

Again, I'm fully aware that the Bucs have a big lead (I just people knew how easy it would be to be just as organized as they are in November, December, etc. That's when they win...But hey, look at the scoreboard).

Empire has a lot of work to do, and might run out of time... but the 2009 team has a lot to be proud of.

Get your #### tickets.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

Without going into too much detail, the corps was advised to take a more serious approach (and less old school approach). So... it isn't a Rah-Rah Old School Statesmen Color Pre kinda show. It's supposed to a be a more dignified, reverential, show.

I actually think it's a cool idea.

Still a very entertaining show.

And it's not the first time the Statesmen have gone from "rah-rah" (their 1996 "Around The World" show) to more serious (Miss Saigon in '97). And the Miss Saigon show absolutely, positively kicked ###. The best program I have ever seen from a DCA corps.

Fran