Increased Membership from DCI?

Otto

I know there is a rule or there used to be a rule in DCA, based on percentage, as to how much your membership may increase after DCI finals. Is this still a rule and how is this monitored?

Just curious -

Thanks -

Otto

That rule was eliminated many years ago.

I know there is a rule or there used to be a rule in DCA, based on percentage, as to how much your membership may increase after DCI finals. Is this still a rule and how is this monitored?

Just curious -

Thanks -

Otto

it was eliminated because it was unnecessary... there was no problem to eliminate...

That rule was eliminated many years ago.

IMO maybe they should bring it back. I know of at least one corps who stacks their brass line with dci kids for the final push of the dca season. Just watch how some holes are suddenly plugged in. I can't understand how a corps can run that way for months and suddenly have full lines , do they wait for these kids and leave the space for them or do they just have lack of membership and talk it up to the kids . Just saying ...

IMO maybe they should bring it back. I know of at least one corps who stacks their brass line with dci kids for the final push of the dca season. Just watch how some holes are suddenly plugged in. I can't understand how a corps can run that way for months and suddenly have full lines , do they wait for these kids and leave the space for them or do they just have lack of membership and talk it up to the kids . Just saying ...

Then we are on the same page - I heard a member say today that the season can finally begin for them since DCI was over....... IMO - it kind of cheapens the accomplishments of the ones who were holding the group together......but then I am not in their shoes . . . . . . I felt that way in 86 when they were doing it and still do now.

I'm all done with the subject - I heard it today and it bothered me so I thought I would ask -

Thanks -

Otto

Loading up in August with DCI kids is not advantageous to your program. It's like your just starting the season when everyone else already has two months on you. It's not a problem that needs to be eliminated with more rules.

New rule: NO MORE RULES!

When was this a rule? And who had to be the head counter?

Picturing some of the people I know pointing with their finger going... 1....2.... um 3 in that line so 5.... 2 more here 7.... No wait #### saw him last week.... so um... 6... divided by....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Every situation is different, but I remember with the Sunrisers we had a handful of younger players who wanted to do DCI. The corps encouraged that and held an open spot for them upon their return. Yes, it makes it tough without them, but they get to have that experience, and we get to welcome them back to our family in the end. Plus, they are so well-conditioned after a long hard DCI season, they help push the rest of us to be better.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Every situation is different, but I remember with the Sunrisers we had a handful of younger players who wanted to do DCI. The corps encouraged that and held an open spot for them upon their return. Yes, it makes it tough without them, but they get to have that experience, and we get to welcome them back to our family in the end. Plus, they are so well-conditioned after a long hard DCI season, they help push the rest of us to be better.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I agree with Sayre, most people that come back have been to a few camps already this year. They are members who wanted to do DCI, and they are just welcomed back into the family. By doing this, you encourage other younger members in the future that they are stil welcome back when they return (If you disagree with this, its like your son/daughter gets back from college and you tell them they have to get an apartment for the summer.. kinda)

Normally, the member tells you that they are coming back, and you write them in knowing they will come... but sometimes, you just have a hole and they fill it, no matter what instrument it is.