frozen valveS?

josh161

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're storing the horns in a place where it is cold or keeping them out a while, without playing, then I recommend you pull out all the tuning slides (make sure the valves are compressed while doing so) to prevent expansion and damage to the tubing. Also, pull out the valves, and put them back in on their side or remove them altogether if storing them overnight in frigid temperatures, to prevent sticking to the casing.

I recommend Al Cass, but the Remington sounds interesting. I would want to confirm that before use, as it may be corrosive.

Of course, be sure to clean the valves and casing thoroughly if you mix oils, in order to ensure that the valves do not stick like glue. It is never a good idea to mix synthetic oils (Blue Juice, for example) with "organics"(?) like Al Cass.

I don't believe Blue Juice is a synthetic.

OK, did some research, i.e. tuba, cold weather, warmth and I've got your answer...

PROPANE!

that guy is pretty awesome (in a disturbing sort of way) - do a search on the 'tube for "flaming tuba".

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread...

I recommend Al Cass, but the Remington sounds interesting. I would want to confirm that before use, as it may be corrosive.

I've been using the Remington for a year now on my CL rotor on my trombone. It's a specially designed rotor, and because of it's design and size, it tends to dry out quicker than just small brass rotors on standard trombones....no corrosion yet :thumbup:

But i'll be sure to share if I ever do notice corrosion. It really shouldn't though, I mean people use this on guns worth thousands of dollars to keep the moving parts (sorry I dont know the terminology for moving gun parts, my step-dad is a collector though) in working order. I've just noticed that it lasts longer because of the teflon...thats why i recommended it in the cold...never have been below freezing though with my trombone...and I don't intend to. haha

:cool: BOURBON :tongue:

oh, you senior corps guys... :cool:

oh, you senior corps guys... :cool:

You know I was a member of a junior corps for 10 years and I NEVER, EVER saw any underage drinking. NEVER and no pot smoking either, and definitely no cocaine. None of that ever happened. Of course, I wasn't "cool" enough to hang out with the people that may have done such unthinkable things like that, if in fact, they ever would have occurred, which I'm sure they did not since it was a junior corps as virtuous as any other.

There is a thread on trumpetmaster.com about this and some people recommend using alcohol instead of valve oil in the cold weather. Oil becomes more viscous in lower temps. I have no personal experience, but you might want to hop over there and do a search, see what you find.

I agree. Alcohol works........ also think I remember just cleaning the valves and not putting valve oil on worked too (just for the time we played our show).

Im going the university of maine, outside football games in november. I wanted to find ways now to be ahead of the game and be prepared. The problem with attaching the hot hands things is they are not warm enough to warm through the thicker metal of a tuba

As someone who has been teaching marching bands in Maine since 1978, (including many performances at UMO), I can tell you the number # 1 fix is.....MOUTHWASH. It has the required alcohol content, will not harm the horn, and tastes minty fresh in the event an elevated horn angle sends a little back in your direction.

And, it works! :cool:

Edited by craiga