Ok, someone break this down for me...

As the sanctioning body, what support does DCI provide for the member corps? I know there is some profit sharing with APD's and DVD's, but what else does DCI do for these groups? Is there anyone at DCI who actually gives a crap and wants the "little guys" like Pioneer and Pacific Crest to develop? If there is, what do they do for them??????

Having only been a casual fan (for a VERY long time) I am just wondering what DCI does with their money?? They seem to not be hurting for money, so are they using it to support the individual corps, or are they wasting it on other less productive things???

NOTE: I know some of you are bitter old-timers hwo have some serious heartburn with the new rules and what-not... save it! I am looking for a legitimate conversation about the business side of DCI, please try to keep this on topic!

Having only been a casual fan (for a VERY long time) I am just wondering what DCI does with their money?? They seem to not be hurting for money, so are they using it to support the individual corps, or are they wasting it on other less productive things???

I wouldn't necessarily agree that they're not hurting for money. The 2007 990 shows revenues of just under $10.5M and an operating deficit of about $284K. 2008 isn't available yet but I wouldn't be too shocked if that might be worse, with a last minute venue change for Championships, fuel costs, and other considerations.

But DCI produces the major events: Atlanta, San Antonio, Allentown, Murfreesboro, Championships, and others. They pay the performing corps for appearing at these shows and the corps share in the revenues of other media (APD's, Fan Network, etc.)

DCI staff don't seem to be particularly well paid considering the size of the organization so I don't believe there's a ton of fat to be cut. Acheson, not surprisingly, is the highest paid employee and he's just barely in the 6 figures (plus expenses, of course.) Everyone else makes <$100K.

Edited by Phillygwm

DCI as an organization is not awash in money at all. Their largest operating expense is securing and operating major tour event locations, it seems. They do have a system of payouts for shows, merchandise and A/V stuff, but honestly, there's not *near* enough money to actually completely subsidize a corps. I think a lot of folks underestimate just how expensive it is to run the tour, honestly.

For the most part, the corps are largely on their own. One D1 director I talked to once pretty clearly spelled out that when they create their budget, the money that DCI sends back down doesn't even make an impact against what they need.

Now, that's not to say it's DCI's fault for not sending more money down. I'm trying to illustrate that there *isn't* much extra money when all is said and done - like most non-profits, it's a budget-tight organization.

Mike

DCI as an organization is not awash in money at all. Their largest operating expense is securing and operating major tour event locations, it seems. They do have a system of payouts for shows, merchandise and A/V stuff, but honestly, there's not *near* enough money to actually completely subsidize a corps. I think a lot of folks underestimate just how expensive it is to run the tour, honestly.

For the most part, the corps are largely on their own. One D1 director I talked to once pretty clearly spelled out that when they create their budget, the money that DCI sends back down doesn't even make an impact against what they need.

Now, that's not to say it's DCI's fault for not sending more money down. I'm trying to illustrate that there *isn't* much extra money when all is said and done - like most non-profits, it's a budget-tight organization.

Mike

I don't think the corps do enough to market themselves especially using the Souvie stands and T-Shirts ect. When corps have shows that are clearly a fan favorite, they need the ability to market on the fly and take advantage of the popularity. While some corps have steady repeat shoppers very few put out a product that fans eat up because of the item itself!

I know there have been many forum members that come up with great idea's but seldom do corps take advantage of it! Building relationships with the locals is key to a quick turnaround.

Homers will contiue to buy items from their favorite corps, the key then is to get everyone to buy your product regardless of corp affliation.

Edited by Phantombari1

As the sanctioning body, what support does DCI provide for the member corps? I know there is some profit sharing with APD's and DVD's, but what else does DCI do for these groups? Is there anyone at DCI who actually gives a crap and wants the "little guys" like Pioneer and Pacific Crest to develop? If there is, what do they do for them??????

NOTE: I know some of you are bitter old-timers hwo have some serious heartburn with the new rules and what-not... save it! I am looking for a legitimate conversation about the business side of DCI, please try to keep this on topic!

These are great comments and questions.

I can only echo comments others have made with a few of my own.

DCI is responsible mainly for providing performance opportunities and a standard of adjudication practices.

DCI also sets the appearance fees for the member corps based on an approved upon formula.

DCI is the member corps (World Class corps) and their representatives.

DCI has a small full time office staff with a larger presence during the summer including additional operations employees and interns.

DCI also markets the corps and maintains relationships with corporate sponsors.

DCI also manages and organizes a "Friends of DCI" group of members who make financial contributions to DCI and receive member benefits.

DCI also maintains a relationship with Open Class corps and provides them scheduled performances at DCI scheduled events near their area and a series of events in July leading to Championship week events in Michigan City and Indianapolis currently.

DCI also has a 9 member Board of Directors selected by member corps.

I think that's about all the DCI stuff I have off the top of my head. correct me if I have mistaken anything.

Approximately 25% to 30% of all of the money raised by DCI is paid back directly to the corps.

Unfortunately, that is not nearly enough to fund the ongoing operations of any corps - so the corps are responsible for providing the majority of their own needs through additional fund raising activities.