Picking a corps

I'm heading into my age out summer and after a couple off seasons, I'd like to march a corps that places a little higher than Pioneer. Right now I'm looking at Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment because I love their overall programs but more relevantly, their hornlines' sounds.

Why have some of you veterans switched corps? Other corps programs? Hornlines? Drumlines? Better chances of getting a ring?

Just looking for some input as to what else I may want to consider both good and bad when making this decision in the next couple months.

you should read the last 10 pages or so on the scouts thread and look at what type of corps they really are off the field before you choose to audition there, plus every corps has a uniqueness upon themselves and you should go to whichever corps appeals to you. do some research on each corps and what they stand for, ask people on FB too, that's alot faster and will get more member feedback.

good luck

I'm heading into my age out summer and after a couple off seasons, I'd like to march a corps that places a little higher than Pioneer. Right now I'm looking at Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment because I love their overall programs but more relevantly, their hornlines' sounds.

Why have some of you veterans switched corps? Other corps programs? Hornlines? Drumlines? Better chances of getting a ring?

Just looking for some input as to what else I may want to consider both good and bad when making this decision in the next couple months.

Depends on what your performance level is.Are you ready for a world class corps like Phantom?

IF not you need to focus on a corps that you feel like you can make the cut and roll with it.Things like the managements track record,fiances,programming and style should all be considered. Talk to vets to see how they have been treated by the corps.Do they feed them well?Do they have a good balance of rest vs rehearsal mode?

All of these things goes into where you will march.

Go for it!

you should read the last 10 pages or so on the scouts thread and look at what type of corps they really are off the field before you choose to audition there,

I do not see where the stupidity of one member should hold him back from marching there.The Scouts director says the problem is being dealt with and they have a zero tolerance for that kind of behavior.

Says something right there about the quality of the leadership.

My honest answer is to audition at multiple corps. If you check their audition dates, it is very likely that the corps you are interested in do not share audition dates. If there is a conflict with the audition dates, many groups will permit you to come to their second camp in order to audition (less likely with higher ranked corps, I'm not sure how successful you would be with Regiment on this part).

Personally, I marched with a now defunct div 3 corps for two years to learn the basics of playing a marching brass instrument, and I continued on to age-out with Phantom Regiment. To me, Regiment embodies many of the things I find most important: demanding shows, crowd favorite, hardcore approach to staying at attention, serious shows, arguably the best bari/euph line in the activity in any given year. Also, I wanted to be treated well as a member, and 4 warm meals a day sure beats salad bar for lunch. It's a tough corps though, and you will be pushed pretty hard.

The best advice is to take the leap and try out. Find out first hand how the corps operate - auditions are as much about you rating the corps as it is about them rating you.

MelloMike,

It sounds like you have it narrowed down to a couple of corps.

I would suggest contacting former Pioneer members that have marched in the Scouts or Phantom.

The brass staff of both of these corps are top notch so it really comes down to what is a better fit for you personally.

I know of a few guys in the Scouts who marched in Pioneer and if you PM me I could send you their contact information.

I saw you guys in Menomonie this year (before the big downpour) and really enjoyed your show.

Good Luck.

I marched with Pioneer back when we were rebuilding and then in 1989 I went to Blue Devils. The best advice I can give is do what is in your heart. I really missed my family back at Pioneer, but I wouldn't trade my time with the Devils for anything. My dream was to be the Drum Major of the Blue Devils and I went after it. If you have a dream of being somewhere else-then go for it. If you are worried about auditioning-the worst any corps can say is no. It really depends on you and what you want out of Drum Corps. No one can tell you what you should do, you need to follow you heart and do what you think is right.

The bottom line is..I left Pioneer to try to fufill a dream that I had. I was terrified to try out for BD, but I am so glad I did it. I didn't do it for a ring (which is good because my age out year Pioneer won A-60 and I never won with BD), I did it because I wanted to challenge myself.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

The best way to choose is to go and check them out in person. Meet the staff, go through the audition process see how it feels. I'm guessing that you might be in the midwest - You've got lots to choose from within a few hours driving distance.

thanks for your replies. In short,

-I am a music major going into 3rd year of college so I'm confident I've got chops

-I am in the midwest and both are relatively local

-I was planning on auditioning for both since Phantom's I believe are in November and Scouts' camp in Madison is in December

-Thanks for the advice on contacting other guys who marched there, I just contacted two members from Pioneer '06 that went to those respective corps in '07

On a side note, I recall hearing that Madison Scout age outs get to keep their hats. Is this true? What do Phantom Regiment age outs get (if anything)? Not a big concern but I figured since we're on topic and I was curious I might as well throw that in.