Compare LOS to the big "O"

I wasn't at DCI this year in the LOS, but I have heard a lot of comparrisons (acoustic characteristics) to the '81-'82 finals in the Olympic stadium in Montreal (the Big "O", as we called it). I was in the Big "O" in '82 as a performer, and while the sound did kind of "gather and wrap around" inside the stadium, I don't remember it being the major echo chamber that people are describing LOS as. Can anyone who actually attended both venues give us a objective comparrison?

Olympic stadium had vendors running the aisles the entire show. I don't think Lucas matches up in that area.

I was in Montreal in 81 and LOS this year. There is no comparison to the sound. LOS was terrible. I don't remember an echo problem in Olympic stadium, at least not where we were sitting.

I marched finals in 81, and was in the audience in 82 and 09

On the field in 81 was a complete nightmare - you couldn't hear anything.

in the stands in 82 the sound was o.k. but many corps had phasing problems, probably because they could not hear themselves on the field.

in the stands at LOS, sound was terrible. In the pressbox it was o.k. because you could listen to the tv monitors.

the big O had issues, but i dont think it was as bad as what I have read about Lucas Echo Dome

"MY" problem with the big O was that if your seats were under the upper level, any noise made by people sitting in your section ( or the vendors )drowned out 90% of what was coming from the field. However, if a hornline just happened to NOT play to the box and the sound found the slot you were sitting in, it was a huge wave of musical MUD that came rushing past.

I will say that besides the splinters, the prelim stadium was by far one of the best for me musically but the shawdows really screwed up some things visually later in the afternoon. ( byt God, the skyline as a backdrop was pretty nice.)

I will say that besides the splinters, the prelim stadium was by far one of the best for me musically but the shawdows really screwed up some things visually later in the afternoon. ( byt God, the skyline as a backdrop was pretty nice.)

As it happens, some gorgeous photos from the McGill University stadium are currently being posted in the old corps photos thread in the Historical forum to illustrate your point. An example:

27th Lancers, 1982 DCI prelims (photo by Ed Ferguson)

27thprelims2.jpg