Carolina Crown's Ballad

Just shows how much hold crown had over that audience.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just shows how much hold crown had over that audience.

Several people have commented on how the didn't feel like they were part of the crowd, due to the segmented seating that was only a few rows deep in some places. I wonder if that may have put a damper on the screaming as well. It is harder to act like a total dope when you're in a more confined space with less people than it is when you feel you're just one little speck in a sea of thousands.

Was there any screaming during other quiet parts, such as in SCV's show?

I noticed this as well, and it was a pleasant surprise. Might be the first time I've experienced that type of audience silence in the many Finals that I've attended.

On the other hand, some moron behind us (Section 339) felt the need to yell throughout Cadets' performance, including "HOLY NAME!", "GAAAARFIELD!", and "BERGEN!" each time the initials were spelled in the drill. Maybe it was his first beer.

I actually liked that, thought it was appropriate and it appeared to have been planned.

Some dorks next to us decided to say "Go Rhonda/Chelsea/Brittany"etc when the cavaliers were setting up.

Good Morning, all.

I have been a lurker for a couple of years, and something happened at Finals this year that prompted me to post.

This was the 6th Finals I have been to live, with the other being 1999-2002, and 2008. When I was there during previous years, I had noticed during the top few corps' performances, PARTICULARLY during a very quiet portion of the show, there would be one (or several) unsavory individual(s) who would take it upon themself(themselves) to scream out something unintelligible to someone on the field, or just yell something to "get on the CD/DVD." This always infuriated me, as it felt to me that a fan was trying to make themself more important than the coprs' performance.

I managed to be albe to attend all 3 shows at Finals weekend this past year. I took note of the "toy box" section of Crown's ballad, where just a single bells player is playing, and the rest of the field is in complete visual and audio silence (until the hornline goes from zero decibels to 100 decibels in about half a measure). In semi-finals, noone ruined this moment. I was glad, because I was fearing the worst on finals night.

Finals night came, and this portion of the show again came up. I was hoping noone would ruin the moment, and as far as I could tell, noone did. I was looking around a bit during that time (since my seats were on the negative 25 yardline on side 2, 7 rows from the very top), and I swear everyone was leaning forward in their seats, and I think if a pin were to have been dropped somewhere in the stadium, it would have been clearly heard.

So, long story short, to all of the fans that shouted nothing during that portion of Carolina Crown's show this year, a hearty THANK YOU for not ruining the CD/DVD, and one of the most magical musical moments in DCI of the year.

Karl

I'm so glad that no one spoiled the moment as well & thanks for your kind words about Crown! I thought their show was very special but I am slightly biased! It was very exciting to finish 2nd & to win the Fan Favorite Award & the Jim Ott Award! :doh:

It was a nice moment

Was there any screaming during other quiet parts, such as in SCV's show?

yeah a few at the start and maybe even later into their show

a few other times I recall thinking great, another tape screamer as it gave me evil ideas for a protest about the sound myself (that I did not act upon)

The synthesized celeste sounds gave it an otherworldly quality and the total lack of movement was downright haunting. The ONLY movement I ever spotted was light flickering off the tubas. Amazing.

I was scared when this moment was coming up becuase I was positive that someone was going to yell " GO [insert name here]!!!"

But it was silent, and it was a very great moment that night. I can't wait to watch the finals DVD becuase I garauntee you will see people in the audience trying to hold their breath to not ruin the moment ;)

I made sure not to make any noise during that part so that I wouldn't ruin the finals DVD, and I'm glad just like what was stated in the OP, that other people chose to keep silent.

Edited by MariaCrown2010

It was indeed a wonderful, musical moment. (And a great example of how a synthesizer added much to a show.)

Funny you should say this. I was just thinking about how the Blue Stars had a similar music box section in the opening of their show in 2007. They did it without a synth, and it sounded just as good.

" _________ IS AN AMERICAN BAD ###!!!!"