Madison Scouts 2010

The financial irresponsibility of this organization goes back more than just a few years. And BTW, your comment about getting what you deserve is spot on.

absolutely false. They had net assets of 550K at the beginning of 2003. Their tax returns are a matter of public record.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely false. They had net assets of 550K at the beginning of 2003. Their tax returns are a matter of public record.

I remember hearing on DCP that Madison was actually really great at being financially stable while having a VERY low tour fee. I think I once heard as low as $900 for the whole year in the late 90s.

I remember hearing on DCP that Madison was actually really great at being financially stable while having a VERY low tour fee. I think I once heard as low as $900 for the whole year in the late 90s.

It was $500 for your first year in the drum corps, $350 for your second year, and $50 less for each successive year.

This thread has taken a very positive direction! :thumbup:

Er, spoke too soon there. :blink:

I just hope that the lesson was learned from the financial irresponsibilities of a few years ago. If they weren't, and if the proper checks and balances were not put in place, then you get what you deserve. And as far as who was responsible....the buck has to stop somewhere. ED, Board. But I know this, if "everyone" is responsible, then no one is responsible. If you want to smear the blame all over the place you solve nothing and have not learned your lesson. Someone needs to "man up" and I hope it's been figured out and corrected.

Concerning $$$$. All I have to say is to give you this comparison: For years, I've been attending Madison's home show, and Colts' home show. For years, I have been getting, in my mailbox, regular corps newsletters, along with donation requests. This makes me feel appreciated for the financial support. It all started with the simple purchase of tix for the show, but now, because of the time and effort that corps has taken to "bring me into the fold", I have been making other monetary donations. Which corps is it? The Colts. Hey - Madison - Wake up. Get with the program. Your communication and fundraising efforts to date.....well, they suck. And other corps are eating your lunch. Asking your alum for money is great. But there's an untapped pool of others all around you , and you appear to be asleep. You want to get financially better? Step it up.

What an astute observation. I hope for Madison's sake, this is only an isolated incident.

It's time to go co-ed. there are 6 open class corps within 2 hours of Madison.

And let's not forget your other astounding above quote from several pages back!

Wow!!!! you are one heck of a deep thinker! Your logic and powers of reason melt rods of iron! How do you come up with such Nobel prize level conclusions?

Now come on, all kidding aside. Is that it "Tupac"........is that all you got?.........."That was then....this is now? And some statement about other co-ed corps in the area?

Are you not aware that the Scouts have actively focused on improving the size and quality of their Guard? Are you not aware that the Scouts fielded 36 "guys" in the Guard this past season?

Have you not heard that the Scouts as of this year are involved in producing a Winter Guard program out West?

Before you write the Scouts off as no longer being able to field an all male corps, I'd first work a little harder on your powers of persuasion and critical reason.

In the mean time, I'd suggest you give the Scouts a little more time to fire on all cylinders, and at least give them a little credit for the accomplishments they've made!

But then again, I can see you're pretty astute and you probably know something nobody else has been able to figure out. Yup, "Tupac" says it's hopelessly lost and time for the Scouts to cash it all in and start signing up the gals.

I bet the Director is looking for your phone number at this very moment! He needs your wisdom.

I gotta say...ths corps created an evolution for the guard in thiis activity. It was incredible and most guard programs today owe their current status to the work originally evolved within the Madison Scouts. And now...forgive me...the guard is run of the mill...or below the standards of the top of World Class. I feel it is time the Scouts took that next leap and pushed the guard caption again...to boldy move.

And...I understand the steps being taken...the foundation now formed. I was so impressed by guard alums, especially those from the incredible evolutionary years, coming together to support new members. If this continues to grow, there will be little reason for guard members to look beyond what the Scouts can offer. Now, the next step must be to once again revolutionize the guard caption again. Give new members the reason not to consider other corps and other offers. Look around...other Midwestern corps haven't exactly lit the world on fire this year. Now can be your time.

\ I feel it is time the Scouts took that next leap and pushed the guard caption again...to boldy move.

Out of curiosity, what would you want to see from them (assuming they remain all men) that pushes the caption further? I don't know what hasn't been done in color guard but I'm curious what you or other Scouts fans would like to see done with this group

I hope the people suggesting the Scouts (or The Cavaliers) go co-ed are joking or heavily loaded on drugs... being all-male isn't only an identity it's a unique experience for young men that you can only get with these two organizations. Don't even THINK about changing that.

Those assets were misleading and are not a true indicator of the actual financial health of the organization. I mean, when did the BOD really think they could fully fund three corps? I'm sick and tired of scapegoating and pot shots taken at Sal Salas. There were many talented kids and staff who went to Madison because of Sal and the great design team HE assembled. And you know what, THE CORPS WAS GOOD. When you look at what other corps spend, his budgets weren't out of line at all. Compare them and see. He greatly improved the food situation (by adding a food truck) and transportation, (charter buses), which are both very costly, but much needed items. These are things that all modern, SUCCESSFUL, corps have that are not frivolous. Maybe Sal should have gone slower, but he was trying to get the corps up to speed. His motivation was to provide the best possible nutrition, safety, and positive instructional experience for the members of the Madison Scouts, and IMO he was very successful. Now lets wish Chris Komnick all the best for 2010. IMO, he's the guy that will lead the corps back. Like others on here, I've heard nothing but good things, and he has my full support.

Edited by oldtimedrummer